IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gold Crown Story on Speed
3/15/09, 10:56 PM   #11
Re: Gold Crown Story on Speed
pgray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Lowe
Paul,
I believe it's Joe Devin, not Bill. Unless you're thinking of his dad, and then it's Mike.
Sandy
My apologies to Mr. Devin -
You are correct , it is Joe.
Bill Devin manufactured sports cars in kit form a number of years ago. No apparent relation. Right church , wrong pew.
Last edited by pgray; 3/15/09 at 11:14 PM.

3/15/09, 11:07 PM   #12
pgray

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O. View Post
Stealth is gone and sold so maybe that is Rock?
Stealth was located in Brownsburg , IN ... went belly-up , is no longer.
The former assets of Stealth were assumed by Spike Chassis as principal John Godfrey was the original founder of Stealth.

3/16/09, 7:58 AM   #13
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgray View Post
Rock Chassis

Never heard of 'em. Has anyone else ?
They don't seem to have a web-site either.
Rock Chassis is Rodney Weesner. (sc96)
He owns Rock Excavating and is starting Rock Chassis which will construct gold crown cars and various others including, I believe, pavement sprinters. He just purchased a 37,000 sq ft building in Redkey, Indiana and is setting up shop as we speak. I think he's making all kinds of hardware now also, bolt kits, etc...
He has 2 gold crown cars and a traditional silver crown pavement car in his garage for now with plans to expand.
I've heard lots of good things came from the meeting. Several big tracks who want to run the series (a few that surprised me). A title sponsor who can't wait to get started, a lot of interest around the country. The pay to run the series will be pretty substantial. Personally I hope it really takes off. It looks like it would be a good destination for midget, sprint and silver crown guys to strive for.
Ovals, road courses, undercard to IRL and NASCAR events. Maybe we can get these guys some road racing experience and get them to Indy again. That would be cool. :thumb
David.

3/16/09, 8:05 AM   #14
cmakin

I spoke with Paul White about this when I saw him last. He seems to be very upbeat about the new cars.

3/16/09, 8:07 AM   #15
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalmeister View Post
He owns Rock Excavating and is starting Rock Chassis which will construct gold crown cars and various others including, I believe, pavement sprinters. He just purchased a 37,000 sq ft building in Redkey, Indiana and is setting up shop as we speak. I think he's making all kinds of hardware now also, bolt kits, etc...
He has 2 gold crown cars and a traditional silver crown pavement car in his garage for now with plans to expand.
I've heard lots of good things came from the meeting. Several big tracks who want to run the series (a few that surprised me). A title sponsor who can't wait to get started, a lot of interest around the country. The pay to run the series will be pretty substantial. Personally I hope it really takes off. It looks like it would be a good destination for midget, sprint and silver crown guys to strive for.
Ovals, road courses, undercard to IRL and NASCAR events. Maybe we can get these guys some road racing experience and get them to Indy again. That would be cool. :thumb
David.
You said it all my man. Post of the week right here.

3/16/09, 8:13 AM   #16
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDONAMO View Post
what a deal usac needs another series :thumbsdown:
Here are some thoughts:

1. If you are a fan - then don't go to the GC races if you you don't like it.

2. If you are a driver - then don't drive the GC cars if you you don't like it.

3. If you are an owner - then don't get a GC car if you you don't like it.

4. If you are a mechanic - then don't work on GC cars if you you don't like it.

I am a fan. I assure you that I will be in the stands when they race.

3/16/09, 11:54 AM   #17
LEADERS EDGE

I'm glad they are doing this. It is what should have happened when they first started.

I was not for them being SC cars because it obsoleted the current SC Pavement cars, but I also hated to see the owners who bought the new style cars facing the same problem. It was equally unfair to them as it was the SC owners.

There are still things I am not to impressed with concerning the new cars(Straight front axles, the Aluminum rear axles and standard steering boxes) but, that is what they are. Hopefully some changes can be phased in over the next few years. I think at the very least they need a rack and pinion steering with independent front suspension.

Even though it started off on the wrong foot, if they have the sponsors and people willing to race; I would say USAC has gotten this one right.

3/16/09, 2:56 PM   #18
sc96

The radio show should be very good tonight with Bruce.

3/16/09, 3:31 PM   #19
IndyBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalmeister View Post
David.
David, I have to agree with Seadog you covered it all, this truly is the post of the week. I can't wait for 2011 but, I will be in the pits not in the stands. Great post David.

Patti

3/16/09, 5:55 PM   #20
grinch

i`ll ry to keep this simple...... #1 how many of the gold gen cars still exist??
#2 will any new gold gen cars be built to the same rules that the 1st group were??
keeping in mind any slight changes in the rules may obsolete the first group of cars

any answers??...................:cheers

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gold Crown Story on Speed