IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Updates?
5/11/08, 2:23 PM   #71
Re: Updates?
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

So many things in this thread to comment on. I don't think anyone who has ever seen him race doubts that Jesse Hockett is a racer, not just a driver. He is a pleasure to watch.

As we all know, Tracy Hines got hurt the first part of last year and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. was picked up to replace him. If Tracy hadn 't gotten hurt, no TSR ride for Ricky. No TSR ride for Ricky, probably no ARCA. Less than a year later, Ricky is driving ARCA and Tracy is back with TSR. On the same night, Tracy wins Eldora and Ricky gets his first ARCA victory. Last year at this time, who in their wildest dreams would have imagined this happening? Congratulations to Tracy and Ricky!

You can't make stuff up like what actually happens in sprint car racing. We are so fortunate to be able to witness this sport, one in which the drivers actually are friendly and happy to talk with fans.

Just happy to be a sprint car fan.

Frank Daigh

5/11/08, 3:37 PM   #72
grumpy6

Yeah what he said!!! Tell 'em how is T-Bird.

5/11/08, 3:53 PM   #73
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird4vkcc View Post
Well, the track was pretty dusty and slick (especially low) but on top there was some moisture which is where Hockett was running. Regardless if 360 helped with the wheel spin for conditions or not here is a long list of what he had working against him:

1) that 360 motor has at least 20 races on it
2) tires and air pressure....all we knew is that the car could roll and there was air in the tires. LOL
3) setup...same set up as heat race (with everything going on, no changes able to be made)
4) gears....with the 360 put in we still had the gears for the 410 motor
5) fuel system....also set for the 410 motor
6) hood....if you couldn't, or didn't come see, the hood was patched and duct taped on (probably more duct tape than fiberglass on that car)

Tim, I know you weren't bad mouthing or anything but I would like to make sure people understand the issues that the VKCC team went through, and overcame last night. Here's some more info for some of you that didn't see everything....

Starting in the back of the 3rd heat, and passing Bacon for 3rd when Bacon spun in front of Jesse. They got together then Sweet had no where to go and slammed into Jesse and Bacon. When Sweet hit Jesse, it bent the right side downtube, crushing the hood, the air filter and bent far enough to cover the motor. Went through A LOT of work just to get ready for the B. Then the motor blew....

(Taking a provisional, and changing motors) As we started working, we realized a problem with the downtube. We had 2 wreckers strap up to each side of the car and basically pull in opposite ways until the downtube straigtened enough to get the motor out. FYI: I highly doubt anyone has seen such a thing before. After that, we got it together just in time. Jesse was getting in the car as things were still being bolted and tightened.

First Red: flat right rear, low on water, and basically finish hooking up motor.

Jesse was deep in the back, and not running well 8 laps in, and as we saw he came to finish 5th. Quite a night, and if anyone out there doubts this kid's will and desire to race....you have some problems. There isn't anything Jesse Hockett will NOT do to get his car out on the track. And he can drive with the best of them. Jesse also want to thank a lot of people (new post).

"Grip it and Rip it, Just don't flip it!" :thumb

Tbird
Tbird,

Thanks for filling us in on the "rest of the story". From a fans point of view I really enjoyed watching Jesse's drive through the field.:Steer I wasn't aware of some of the things that happened to him but I am even more amazed after reading your post. Jesse did a hell of a job driving it, but also it should be mentioned that a number of people had a great part in getting him out there. Here is a :applaud: for the guys behind the scene that thrashed on the car in order for Jesse to make the race.:respect:

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Updates?