IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > D2 Midgets and Wings?
2/23/17, 1:38 PM   #1
D2 Midgets and Wings
hoscalecody

I was always wondering why no lightning sprint series allows D2 midgets like Ecotech and Ford focus midgets to put wing spuds on and run wings with lightning sprints? I've asked around but never got a answer so I figured I'd ask here. This is going to be I think my 4th or 5th year running a Lightning sprint which is 90% of the time at Waynesfield and didn't run with a D2 midget until 2016 but what I seen is the Lightning sprints 90% of the time around here beat the midgets. I'm guessing and been told it is because they have more weight and power then us and can't get it to the ground as good as us lightning sprints so would the wings make them faster then us or be about identical? Just a question I always wondered.
Last edited by hoscalecody; 2/23/17 at 1:51 PM.

2/23/17, 4:57 PM   #2
motorhead748

Are you suggesting letting the D2 midgets run wings against non-wing lightening sprints?
This may get good. 🍿🍿🍿

2/23/17, 5:07 PM   #3
Re: D2 Midgets and Wings?
hoscalecody

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
Are you suggesting letting the D2 midgets run wings against non-wing lightening sprints?
This may get good. 🍿🍿🍿
No that would be horrible i'm saying let D2 midgets put wings on and run with the Winged lightning sprints. Since some series lets the D2 run when they run the lightning sprints wingless just seeing why they dont let the midget put wings on for winged races.

2 members like this post: fish, motorhead748
2/23/17, 8:31 PM   #4
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoscalecody View Post
No that would be horrible i'm saying let D2 midgets put wings on and run with the Winged lightning sprints. Since some series lets the D2 run when they run the lightning sprints wingless just seeing why they dont let the midget put wings on for winged races.
Thanks.....my bad

2/23/17, 8:38 PM   #5
LJC77

Because wings belong on airplanes not race cars

2/23/17, 9:00 PM   #6
hoscalecody

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJC77 View Post
Because wings belong on airplanes not race cars
I agree I can't stand racing with a wing but it would give D2 midget guys a chance to race more without traveling to D2 series races.

2/24/17, 12:23 AM   #7
fish

My guess would be mini sprints have fuller fields, D2 not so much.

2/24/17, 1:45 AM   #8
cbaumeyer48

Always with the slamming on winged cars!

2 members like this post: fish, motorhead748
2/24/17, 8:41 AM   #9
Unlucky#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
My guess would be mini sprints have fuller fields, D2 not so much.
I think (and this is just my interpretation of the original post) that what he's suggesting, if it were to actually work would do nothing more than fill out the already substantial field of the lightning sprints even more. As it then be adding those who have a D2 midget to the car count, verses only lighting sprints.

I don't feel like he's suggesting that the tracks start booking winged D2 shows in place of the winged lighting sprints(that'd just be ridiculous). My one concern would be that the D2 cars would need a push start, correct? I think for tracks that's one of the draws of the lighting sprint is that they're self starting. Thus the show is usually more efficient in the instance of a red flag, instead of having to push off the entire field like they do with regular sprints and midgets, the lighting sprints can just hit the starter and throw the car in gear, and away we go.

1 member likes this post: fish
2/24/17, 8:44 AM   #10
Unlucky#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaumeyer48 View Post
Always with the slamming on winged cars!
Yes Chris, we all know how you feel about wings. I prefer mine with some Asian Zing sauce from Bdubs on them though.

1 member likes this post: Rone9r
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > D2 Midgets and Wings?