IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Car counts at Angell Park
7/14/09, 7:48 PM   #1
Car counts at Angell Park
Jonr

What are everyone's thoughts about the car counts at Angell Park. I saw some shows this summer before I left that were very good, but the car count was not that good (18-20) cars. I saw the results from Sunday with just 14 cars.

Angell Park is one of the few things that I miss about Wisconsin. I absolutely love that place, but I am concerned about the car count.

7/14/09, 7:52 PM   #2
Re: Car counts at Angell Park
Vukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
What are everyone's thoughts about the car counts at Angell Park. I saw some shows this summer before I left that were very good, but the car count was not that good (18-20) cars. I saw the results from Sunday with just 14 cars.

Angell Park is one of the few things that I miss about Wisconsin. I absolutely love that place, but I am concerned about the car count.

Badger had only 12 cars at Dodge County two weeks ago. UMARA is just as bad. I don't see any big improvement for the rest of 2009.

7/14/09, 9:06 PM   #3
badgerfan

Counts may be low but there has been some great racing. Week in and week out the features have been super competitive with the likes of Loyet, Hatton, Hess and Kuhn on a regular basis. If you are a true midget fan now is not the time to stay away.

7/14/09, 10:33 PM   #4
Tim Watson

Could Badger ever try something like get together with POWRI and just trade weeks? One week at Sun Prairie and the next week somewhere where POWRI runs that's within everybody's travelling distance? Just throwing that out there, i haven't put any thought into it so don't at me to much.

7/15/09, 1:12 AM   #5
RacinJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Watson View Post
Could Badger ever try something like get together with POWRI and just trade weeks? One week at Sun Prairie and the next week somewhere where POWRI runs that's within everybody's travelling distance? Just throwing that out there, i haven't put any thought into it so don't at me to much.

Poweri races are 5-6 hours away from Milwaukee. I dont think many guys from up here would be up for it.

7/15/09, 7:26 AM   #6
hoosierhillbilly

I find it interesting that midget racing was born during the great depression and is seeing its worst year for car counts during this period of really bad economic times.

7/15/09, 9:07 AM   #7
DonMoore10

I have attempted to address this subject over the past several years many, many times... not Angell Park or Badger in particular, but midget racing across the country. I've lost count of the dozens of individuals on this forum and another one who have tried to cut my head off for even bringing up the matter and that includes race fans, midget org officials, midget team owners who are loyal to the big box org and many others. Also I've read reply after reply on this message board that "you can't do this" and "you can't do that" over and over and over again.

I hate to really ruin everybody's day but what I've been predicting is here today, now... like the present.

The days of universal rules for midgets have past, folks. Almost all the teams in this country DO NOT travel outside their regional area, so get over thinking that a race team from St. Louis is going to show up in Wisconsin or Indianapolis. NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Case in point: Last night the big box org had a midget race in Indiana and there was ONE... spelled O-N-E midget that showed up that does not regularly support the big box series. Repeat: ONE!!! So.. All the fans and midget org officials are afraid to step out of the box and create sensible rules for one car. How stupid is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's make this short and to the point: The last statement I read in print from the big box midget org was that they have no interest in changing their policies regarding the costs of operating a midget team. The sooner all the other midget orgs stop following the big box org and start coming up with some hard core solutions.... maybe just start over with a clean piece of paper, then midget racing has a chance to survive. Otherwise, the only place you're going to see anything that looks like a midget will be a once a year happening in Oklahoma.

Don Moore
Owner of three soon to be museum piece midgets

7/15/09, 9:11 AM   #8
LEADERS EDGE

Midget racing didn't really explode until after WWII. So many of the men who came back from the war were former pilots and such and they found something that could give them that feeling as well as put money in their pockets.

Car counts are bad everywhere, with the exception of ARDC and Poweri(for the most part). I think the sport faces many head winds. The motor costs, but not just the initial costs but the never ending advancement of the engines to where they need constant updating and rebuilds and at least around here; the non-wing sprint scene is so strong that it makes midget racing a tough sell.

Me personally; I really enjoy the midgets. In many ways; I don't see the sport as "broken" as it seems, but it has a negative vibe right now.

Take last night: 20 Cars at Vernon seems like a bad count, but add 10-12 cars and it becomes a "good field" Without looking at the car entry list last night; I can think of 8 local cars that I know weren't there. Not including any of the Poweri or Badger guys that used to try and support these races.

So many people want to totally blow up what is there and start over, but I think Poweri,ARDC, and NAMARS when Jack Calabrase owned it prove that if a group of people get in charge that care about the sport, then the racers will try and support them.

Only time will tell.
Last edited by LEADERS EDGE; 7/15/09 at 9:14 AM.

7/15/09, 9:28 AM   #9
Vukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
Midget racing didn't really explode until after WWII.
Midget racing was big right before WW II, but it was huge after the war. I've read that at one point it was the 5th largest spectator sport in the United States.

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
Let's make this short and to the point: The last statement I read in print from the big box midget org was that they have no interest in changing their policies regarding the costs of operating a midget team. The sooner all the other midget orgs stop following the big box org and start coming up with some hard core solutions.... maybe just start over with a clean piece of paper, then midget racing has a chance to survive.
They should have listen to Fulper.

I wonder what the car counts are for the All Star Midgets these days?
Last edited by Vukie; 7/15/09 at 9:32 AM.

7/15/09, 9:33 AM   #10
LEADERS EDGE

I didn't even see Don's post before posting mine, so I am in no way trying to argue or anything of that nature.

Don I am not in any way shape or form trying to disagree that midget racing is struggling right now. That said; if I stand in my shop and scream it's six o' clock; I am going to be right twice a day. If for ten years I say something is going to decline; I am eventually going to be right. Just like if I sit here proclaim something will turn around: it eventually will.

I am not a doom and gloomer. I remember when USAC had real miserable car counts in the early 90's when the clutches were used.(I was and still am a believer that startes and clutches were the right direction) I also remember how NAMARS did their own thing and had great counts and then 16th street came along and car counts went through the roof again. MARA was running then, but their car counts weren't that huge. 20-25 cars.

As of now; there is no incentive for anyone to put a midget together in the Indiana, Ohio,Michigan, and Northern Illinois region because they won't be able to race it without long tows.(I realize the the IRS series offers a market of sorts) If we could get the Indiana tracks to run 4 shows a month it would be big, but I understand why they don't.

I don't know why Don didn't go last night and it's none of my business. It's his toys to do with what he wants. I like and respect Don.

I hope Don will be at Jacksonville this weekend. The sport is better off when his white #10's come off the trailer.

Me personally; I would rather be at the track adding to the sport I care about than sitting at home dicussing it's demise.
Last edited by LEADERS EDGE; 7/15/09 at 9:38 AM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Car counts at Angell Park