IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > R.I.P. Tom Pierce
4/15/17, 3:55 PM   #1
R.I.P. Tom Pierce
Jerry Shaw

We learned last night at Bloomington, as Al and Loretta Pierce were packing up their lawn chairs and leaving quickly, that Tom Pierce had passed away unexpectedly. Tom was a great race fan and a great guy. I feel fortunate to have gotten to watch many races with him at LPS. He was a smart man, as I don't think I ever watched a race with Tom, that I didn't learn something. And he was a funny guy, too, with a slightly sarcastic sense of humor. And he could take it as well as he could dish it out and that says a lot about a person. So it was a big loss for local racing, especially Lincoln Park Speedway and a bigger loss for all those that knew him and were friends with him. Thoughts and prayers to Al, Loretta and the rest of Tom's family.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

7 members like this post: agar, Al Pierce, Blackduce, jim goerge, racegal, ronmil, scottyCbus
4/15/17, 3:57 PM   #2
Re: R.I.P. Tom Pierce
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Very sorry to hear of Tom's passing. Prayers to the family.

1 member likes this post: Al Pierce
4/15/17, 6:12 PM   #3
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

What a shock,I had visted with him at Terre Haute,he'd just celebrated his birthday,said he was doing well,he'd worked an auction the day before.
You'll be missed,rest in peace.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

2 members like this post: Al Pierce, jim goerge
4/16/17, 12:30 AM   #4
racefan20

Brad mentioned Tom's passing both before the anthem and before the feature tonight at LPS. RIP Tom. Al I will be praying for the family.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

4 members like this post: Al Pierce, jim goerge, SHORTBUS, wildman92
4/16/17, 4:16 AM   #5
jim goerge

Thoughts and prayers to Toms family

1 member likes this post: Al Pierce
4/16/17, 3:33 PM   #6
Al Pierce

Race Count This Year: 49
Race Count Last Year: 43

Thank You Jerry for those kind words in tribute to my Brother Tom who died from a sudden heart attack this past Friday. Also thanks to Bill and Mrs G for providing a forum where we not only keep abreast of current racing events but can communicate with those having common interests. Tom was not a registered member, but he was an avid reader of the forum. His computer skills were typical of our generation so he was satisfied to just read the comments and reports of others.
Tom and I are products of the late 1930s, being little more than a year and a half apart. We had just celebrated his 80th birthday a couple of weeks back. If I tax my memory to the fullest, I can remember our earliest race spectating ventures near the end of WWII at Jungle Park with mothballed racing cars fitted with surplus aircraft engines echoing thru the trees surrounding the rock and oil based track. Also the advent of midget racing at the Terre Haute FastTrack, a racy paved 1/5 mile (I think) on north 25th Street, and long since gone, giving way to a manufacturing plant on the grounds. Most midgets were powered by Ford 60HP V-8s but others by Willys and Outboard Boat motors. It was then our Dad acquired a Midget and ran it at several small tracks in the area. That lasted a couple of years until the "Offies" (Offenhauser engines) invaded the local tracks and the racing became more professional. In the early 60's Tom and some friends acquired a "jalopy" and played with that for a couple of years at other local tracks. Later he drove a Don Duncan modified one time at Paragon. Tom continued attending races locally and afar. I am sure he has attended races at every track in Florida over the years. He has attended races at Perris (Cal), Canyon (AZ), Knoxville(IA) and probably most of the tracks in IL, IN, and OH. could not estimate the total number of races he has attended. I suppose it would be several hundred over a 60 or so year period. This also says a lot for his faithful wife MaryAnne over a 58 year period. She probably attended no more than 3 or 4 races. So, the checkers has fallen Nothing exceptional... but a tribute to a true RACEFAN. Farewell and Thanks.

4/16/17, 3:55 PM   #7
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

So sorry for your loss. Very shocking to hear of Tom's passing so suddenly when he seemed as healthy and active as ever when I saw him at Terre Haute and at LPS just a week ago Saturday. He was interesting to talk to because of his varied interests, especially the auctions he attended. Earlene and I send our thoughts and prayers to you and Loretta.

4 members like this post: agar, Al Pierce, i love dirt track racing, tirespinner
4/16/17, 4:34 PM   #8
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

Al - so sorry for your loss. Will definitely keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

3 members like this post: Al Pierce, i love dirt track racing, tirespinner
4/16/17, 6:22 PM   #9
Steve Wendel

Al,sorry for your and Toms families loss.I think last saturday was the first time I had visited with Tom and didnt realize you were brothers until then,I wondered then why we had never visited before,you just never know what direction life is going to turn.

2 members like this post: Al Pierce, tirespinner
4/17/17, 6:13 PM   #10
Danny Burton

Al, that was a fitting tribute to your brother. God be with you and yours at such a sad time.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

3 members like this post: agar, Al Pierce, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > R.I.P. Tom Pierce