IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Midwest TQ Racing Series Forming
9/5/08, 11:04 AM   #121
Re: New Midwest TQ Racing Series Forming
Shawn

I'm sure anyone will build a car, if the money is right. I know at one time, Keith Kunz was thinking about building some TQ's, but that never happened. Competition Welding has also built a TQ, or two. Like Jon said, if the money is right, then you might be able to get a Bullet Chassis built for you. I know that Spike has a company named FOZ for mini-sprints, so maybe they could whip up a TQ for anyone with the right money. The list could go on!

I'm pretty sure that Stealth is a thing of the past. However, I know that there are a few older Stealth cars floating around, so a used one might be an option. Along those lines, there are a lot of used cars floating around. It doesn't seem that many are being built new, however. Check out UMRA.com and click on Garage Sale, or visit other sites, like Dirt Track Trader. There are some good cars out there!

I know Jon mentioned some chassis to look for, but here are some more. Stewart, Beast, Stealth, Arrow (Bob McClure), Nichols, Ellis, and Kreeper. Breka and Goff Chassis are hard to come by, but are contenders. You could also add older chassis, like Lowe and Kleine if you're just wanting to get your feet wet. Although, it seems like Tate Martz has had success with his 1980-something Lowe Chassis.

Best of luck in your search!

9/5/08, 11:53 AM   #122
TQ29m

Shawn, you mentioned quite a few, I might add one, Steve Stapp built 6, in the late 90's, these were copied by several builders, Hurricane was one. Steve had one chassis of the 6 left, that was assembled in early 2000. I have that car available, it has been gone thru from stem to stern, panels are ready to paint, I has a Mark Priestley motor, Hilborn, down nozzles in the head, tri-drive, with VW dist,and MSD coil. Lots of spares, new tires, loads a good stuff. Bob McClure tq29m
Last edited by TQ29m; 9/9/08 at 4:02 PM. Reason: correction

9/5/08, 12:10 PM   #123
TQ29m

Shawn, I might add, anyone who has ever built a TQ, quickly understands why they may cost more than a Sprint or midget chassis. First of all, the amount of tubing required, is almost as much as the other two, and, they're so many places to weld, that are difficult to get to, because of their size, I made a special fixture to be able to rotate a chassis, to make it easier. Then, if you're smart, you'll use all full midget parts that you can buy, so you don't have to special make spindles, arms, rear axle and drive line things, use parts that are available, then replacements are easier, and quicker to come by. The actual cost to get one on the ground, and rolling, is close to what a Sprint car might cost, maybe even more, because to that point, most of the components cost about the same, the exception being, the chassis, time wise, plus the fact Sprint cars are being built "production style". The Huge Difference, of course, is the engine. Nuff said! Bob

9/5/08, 12:28 PM   #124
jontheturboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
I'm sure anyone will build a car, if the money is right. I know at one time, Keith Kunz was thinking about building some TQ's, but that never happened. Competition Welding has also built a TQ, or two. Like Jon said, if the money is right, then you might be able to get a Bullet Chassis built for you. I know that Spike has a company named FOZ for mini-sprints, so maybe they could whip up a TQ for anyone with the right money. The list could go on!

I'm pretty sure that Stealth is a thing of the past. However, I know that there are a few older Stealth cars floating around, so a used one might be an option. Along those lines, there are a lot of used cars floating around. It doesn't seem that many are being built new, however. Check out UMRA.com and click on Garage Sale, or visit other sites, like Dirt Track Trader. There are some good cars out there!

I know Jon mentioned some chassis to look for, but here are some more. Stewart, Beast, Stealth, Arrow (Bob McClure), Nichols, Ellis, and Kreeper. Breka and Goff Chassis are hard to come by, but are contenders. You could also add older chassis, like Lowe and Kleine if you're just wanting to get your feet wet. Although, it seems like Tate Martz has had success with his 1980-something Lowe Chassis.

Best of luck in your search!
Kreeper are just bigger Magnums. (You'll laugh if you understand it) Not sure if Tommy Knight is building them any longer.

Totally forgot about the Stewarts. Good cars but a little hard to fit into if you're a taller guy.

9/5/08, 2:30 PM   #125
tqracer65

Im not sure but I dont think tommy built the Kreepers, I have the first one built i believe (the one built after the ft wayne crash). Its definately a good car. You had some really valuable points for the new series to put into affect or even if umra could think a little about the new generation. I know if I was a young kid looking to progress and had financial backing at 16 i would not even think twice and id take the sprint car. I would even go as low as 13 fo ran age limit, they have to compete with other series.
Brad Wilson
ps i am planning on being at greensburg the 27 should be fun

9/5/08, 2:39 PM   #126
jontheturboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqracer65 View Post
Im not sure but I dont think tommy built the Kreepers, I have the first one built i believe (the one built after the ft wayne crash). Its definately a good car. You had some really valuable points for the new series to put into affect or even if umra could think a little about the new generation. I know if I was a young kid looking to progress and had financial backing at 16 i would not even think twice and id take the sprint car. I would even go as low as 13 fo ran age limit, they have to compete with other series.
Brad Wilson
ps i am planning on being at greensburg the 27 should be fun
I thought Tommy and Andrew Prather were building the Kreepers????

9/5/08, 2:51 PM   #127
tqracer65

I think prather may have welded on one of the kreepers (the one he ran) but Brannin builds the Kreepers (he built the one i run).

9/5/08, 3:28 PM   #128
jontheturboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqracer65 View Post
I think prather may have welded on one of the kreepers (the one he ran) but Brannin builds the Kreepers (he built the one i run).
Interesting. Didn't know Nate Brannin was in on things.

PM me his contact number, as I think Id like to weld one of these chassis together.

9/5/08, 3:46 PM   #129
tqracer65

Actually its Scott thats building them but not sure how many more hes going to be doing for sure ill find out and get his number for you

9/5/08, 3:53 PM   #130
tqracer65

is the website for the new series up yet???

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Midwest TQ Racing Series Forming