IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > TriState
6/5/23, 7:08 PM   #61
Re: TriState
SoIllSprinter

If you’ve never been there and you’re bellyaching on here you are uneducated. Tri-State is usually more than well attended. Last night was unusual in two aspects, one, the track dusted up and got rough, which is rare. Two, the crowd was good but not packed. Usually Helfrich knocks out a track refresh in 15 minutes or less, less time than many tracks spend in intermission doing nothing. Last night the track needed more work than usual and I’m glad he did, with 55 laps of open wheel features coming. Sorry you didn’t get what you wanted from your couch, I was fine at the actual track.

6/5/23, 7:20 PM   #62
openwheelfan1

I have been attending races at Tri-State Speedway since 1964 (yep, I'm OLD) so I admittedly have a soft place in my heart for it. It was far and away the closest track to where I grew up that ran open wheel cars. I have continued to attend races there as my work schedule, kids schedule and finances have permitted. Ordinarily, we would have been in attendance last night, but circumstances dictated that we had to miss last night, but we did watch on Flo.

There have been some good comments made on here, and some...well, not so much IMO. We have attended IMW at TSS since they got a race. Judging from TV, I thought the attendance was on a par to most of the previous IMW events at TSS. I'm sure the Helfrich family would have preferred more people in the stands, but they quit running weekly shows on Sunday night and went to a specials only format for this very reason. Certainly the need of a second rework is debatable, but the fact that both subsequent features were practically dustless cannot be debated.

As I type this, Circle City Raceway, which is being promoted by Bob Sargent and Track Enterprises, an organization with a long history of promoting, is 45 minutes LATE starting hot laps and they haven't sounded the 8 minute horn yet. I think Grocery Guy makes a valid point in that ALL track promoters/organizers need to be more conscious of their customers attention span and the clock and start on the published time and run an efficient show.

4 members like this post: addictedtodirt, erich45, Grocery Guy, oppweld
6/6/23, 4:30 PM   #63
captrat

While there is always a place for constructive criticism some of the comments here are nothing more than negative nabobs stirring unneeded controversy. Yes they have a right to their opinion, but maybe they just need to pursue another area of interest.

6/6/23, 5:49 PM   #64
markd

DO Laycock summed up TSS best when we were shooting up on the roof one night and chatting between races.

"If this place was next to the Indy airport, it would be PACKED every Sunday night"

And Helfrich is old school, he takes pride in his work and pride with his product, something most people don't anymore

9 members like this post: Chief Wahoo, Dale, flagboy55, okie, oppweld, Rcar, Rpracing1, skids59, TNRustler
6/7/23, 10:10 AM   #65
flagboy55

I have to agree with Markd DO quote. We all know what we’re going to get at the Class Track, quality. It may take a bit longer than most, so plan accordingly. Remember how Mr Helfrich was praised a few weeks ago when they got rain before the Outlaws race, and was widely recognized that few if any tracks would’ve gotten it in. I didn’t stay up and watch it, we gave up after a couple early cautions in the sprint race. I made a choice and decided for bed instead of live racing. I have only one complaint about TSS, that is it’s 5 hours away from me. If I could just get Tommy to move it closer 😉

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > TriState