IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Rumor Mill
6/23/09, 11:32 PM   #101
Re: The Rumor Mill
kinser

So you can try to one up them. I have nothing but respect for anyone that has strapped into a sprint car either past or present. I have been fortunate to have worked with and gotten to know some great drivers and I have never heard any of them brag and beat their own drum like you do. I got to know Bobby Black pretty well and I had watched him race some when I was a kid. He was a great driver and I always tried to get him to tell me about some of the races that he won but he would always wind up telling me
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

about how great guys like Gaines and Bob Kinser were. The point here is that the good ones and the great ones don't have to force themselves down everyones throat and they don't have to act like they know everything the way that you do !
Posted via Mobile Device

6/23/09, 11:43 PM   #102
riskybrisky5

I do not have an answer on how to save the pavement. But I will tell you this if I were to start a series the first person I would hire would be Kirk Spridgeon! He knows more about the sport than most racers know. What I do know is I have been around this sport my whole life and I do not think I have ever seen more competitive nonwing dirt sprint car racing in all of my life from top to bottom. I really think this is what USAC really needs to run with they have a product that is unbelievable if it is promoted properly. They have the action and the personalities all they have to do is promote it. We are all blessed around here with awesome racing right now. The wing deal cannot compete with our product right now in my opinion. So Spridge If I ever run into some money you are my first call buddy.

6/24/09, 12:05 AM   #103
Brolzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
please tell us why he picks your brain? What is your background in racing?
Kirk may be in his 20's, but he knows more about racing than you have forgotten.

6/24/09, 12:19 AM   #104
Kirk Spridgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskybrisky5 View Post
I do not have an answer on how to save the pavement. But I will tell you this if I were to start a series the first person I would hire would be Kirk Spridgeon! He knows more about the sport than most racers know. What I do know is I have been around this sport my whole life and I do not think I have ever seen more competitive nonwing dirt sprint car racing in all of my life from top to bottom. I really think this is what USAC really needs to run with they have a product that is unbelievable if it is promoted properly. They have the action and the personalities all they have to do is promote it. We are all blessed around here with awesome racing right now. The wing deal cannot compete with our product right now in my opinion. So Spridge If I ever run into some money you are my first call buddy.
I really appreciate that, Kevin. And Tommy.

6/24/09, 12:23 AM   #105
dant

USAC has a product to market.....exposure either on TV or better yet on streaming video is the answer[I thought thats what they were experimenting with] If I can watch speedway bikes in Poland? why not sprint cars worldwide..... Its not just purse money from racing that racers need ..but the opertunity to gain sponsers with worldwide exposure...time delayed-edited -promoted ..I think at least the dirt cars could be successful in this format

6/24/09, 7:18 AM   #106
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskybrisky5 View Post
Well stated, Kevin. But I would also go so far as saying that the dirt sprint car racing, as good as it is withing the USAC sanction, is great throughout the state of Indiana. I spend quite a bit of money and all my vacation time traveling north just so that I can be a small part of it. Because I have also been around racing almost my entire life, and I don't really recall ever seeing cometition as good as I have seen it up there in the last few years. And there was some really good racing in Norcal back in the 70's.

6/24/09, 7:43 AM   #107
Tony Barhorst

Here is the deal...Kevin Miller acts like he is listening to opinions...ready to try new things...but when the idea comes to CUT COSTS of the race teams....that falls on deaf ears....

Like I said before...if your not going to listen to the Hoffman Race teams suggestions...unselfish suggestions...THEN THEY WON'T REALLY TAKE ANYONE'S ADVICE....But they take Hoosier and Bob Easts advice EVERYDAY.

If the idea is about allowing rules that cut tire costs...or allow greater chassis savings, or variety...YOU CAN FORGET IT...

I have had Bob East call me and tell me if I did not run a certain USAC regional HOOSIER Tire...."Well these young drivers are not going to run with you." Who in the hell does this guy think he is?
Last edited by Tony Barhorst; 6/24/09 at 7:45 AM.

2 members like this post: Pat O'Connor Fan, thebus79h
6/24/09, 8:20 AM   #108
Bill Gardner
Administrator

If I ran USAC... Dirt and Pavement would be split.

Now, of course there is no way that will ever happen(I run USAC)... so I leave you with this... Goodluck, and I wish you well.

6/24/09, 8:53 AM   #109
Seadog

Three things:

1. Does all the fragmenting (splits) into an overabundance of sanctiong bodies make a difference in car counts with USAC? It seems like whenever feelings get hurt or somebody gets riled up, they start their own deal. There are too many sanctioning bodies out there and nobody is better for it (except maybe ASCS).

2. I think Kirk Spridgeon mentioned in an earlier post about the potential new young fans identifying with USAC young guns (Cole Whitt, Chad Boat, etc.) to help increase attendance. Great in theory. But the only problem with that is these young guns are using USAC as vehicle to further their career and move up the ladder to (gasp) NASCARland. They are here three or four years tops and then are gone. It's hard to build a young fan base with that happening. USAC used to be a destination. Except for a Darland, or a Coons, how many drivers have stayed with USAC for more that three or four years since the start of the 21st century? Not many. Just to confirm my point, read this article: http://www.hardcoreracefans.com/feat...g-gun-to-watch

3. I usually try to be positive and look at the bright side. This post really didn't come off that way, did it?
Last edited by Seadog; 6/24/09 at 9:27 AM.

1 member likes this post: SUPERDUKE
6/24/09, 9:23 AM   #110
Fisher79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brolzy View Post
Kirk may be in his 20's, but he knows more about racing than you have forgotten.
That's a pretty ridiculous statement, and I'm pretty sure you got it backwards anyway. Why all the comparisons?

I like them both, and they both know their ****. Can't we just leave it at that?

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Rumor Mill