IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > When and Where Did You See Your 1st Sprint Car Race
11/11/22, 6:23 PM   #51
Therealether

First was a WoO show at Sante Fe Speedway, probably around 1986. Can't remember a ton of it though, I was about 7. Last was the Dirtcar Nationals at Volusia this year

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, chrismattlin, flagboy55, JJMooney, tirespinner
11/11/22, 9:09 PM   #52
Pancho Stapp

My first was 1965 Eldora. Pops was an avid Mario fan. We lived in Muncie Indiana so Eldora, Winchester and Kokomo is where i cut my teeth. Shortly afterwards i was a Gary B fan until Pancho caught my attention. As they say after that the rest is history. The Big Bopper and Ole Pancho in that Dobbins Chevy to me was the ****!! I am forever grateful for my father dragging me along and exposing me to this awesome sport. The diversity of the posters and the experiences they have shared has made this an interesting thread.

11/12/22, 9:09 AM   #53
Re: When and Where Did You See Your 1st Sprint Car Race
Terry Porter

In my 6th decade myself.

Not really sure of my first race. In 1974 (I was 4yrs old) we moved to Arlington Tx and ended up living next door to Don "Spike" Spiess from MN. He had built sprinters in MN, fielding a car for Jerry Richert Sr before work brought him to TX.

I remember plenty of night s with Spike and my dad at Devils Bowl. We do know we were at the inaugural WoO races, and, well, you all know who won.

In the 80's we made most of the WoO shows in TX and OK but didn't really have the time to travel. That all changed once Spike retired. He decided to hit the road and see as many races as possible.

Over the next 15-18 years we hit races everywhere we could. This started a 20+ year stint at the Knoxville Nationals, we made every Historical Big One, the Mopar Million, the Western World and another 20+ year stint at the Chili Bowl.

During this time made some lifelong friends we simply met at the track. One being our very own Andrew S Quinn or as I know him One Sock (long story). Unfortunately I lost my race buddy in 2007 so some of the traveling diminished, but I'm still trying to get to the races as much as my schedule will allow.

Just this year I managed to make a complete ISW (for the first time)with some great friends out of VT and we'll be getting together again for our annual trek to Tulsa in January.

What I've learned over all these years is racing people are just plain great folks!

11/12/22, 2:06 PM   #54
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovedirttrackracing View Post
Hopefully that one of your racing trips back to Indiana you can meet asq. He is very lucky to experience some of the great things that we all love. Ask mr.funk about some of the things that they have experience on their racing trips. Unbelievable you can't make this stuff up. Lmao. Thanks. Only the best for the racing families 👪. Lmao. Thanks 🇺🇸
Unfortunately taking care of my 100 yr. old Mom has cut down my sprint car travels drastically. I can go to Pa. for a weekend at most, unless I can get my sister to come out from California to watch her, like she did for last years Chili Bowl (she doesn't like to fly) I asked her to spend more time with Mom, maybe I can get out there for Sprint or Midget week. Until 5 yrs. ago, I was still in Colorado & would plan my migration back East every summer to coincide with good racing.
I met a bunch of Funk's many friends when I visited, maybe you (?) & ASQ, but didn't have time to hear a lot of stories... hopefully one day...

11/12/22, 2:16 PM   #55
EldoraMark

It was 1962 and I was 7. Dad took me on a long trip (10 miles) to Eldora. Been going to races for 60 years.

11/12/22, 2:18 PM   #56
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
The first time I went to Lebanon Valley I was so awestruck by the speeds and such I couldnt tell you if it was good or not. I remember going home and telling my neighbor,who's family took me to the races the very first time,that he had to go watch them sometime. Of course later on he did go with me a few times,and he was out here Labor Day weekend as he wanted to come watch some non wing racing again.

Last time I went to Lebanon was in the 90's on the way home from Pennsylvania. I stopped in as it was sort of on the way home. It wasnt a good race at all but the place was mobbed as they only run there once a year. All the fans were pointing to their buddys that most every car had the right front tire off the ground about a foot down the straightaways.

From memory though,Lebanon knows how to sell a lot of food at the concessions. Everything is either $1.00 $2.00 $3.00 and so on,and you can only pay with dollar bills. They had a booth that would give you one dollar bills for $5.00 and $10.00 and so on. No time wasted making change and the line moves along pretty good. I've wondered over the years why other tracks dont do the same thing.

Indiana is fine. Its a lot different than living in New England. Over the years I've had lots of fans tell me they want to move here. So far I am the only one of them all that actually did move here. Others have said "find me a job out there" I had to find my own job out here,if they were serious,they could do the same as I did.
Did Funk introduce us a few years back at Lil 500?
Yea, Lebanon Valley is a very good facility, but the racing has been boring every time I went, for Allstars. Local Modified fans told me it the same with Mods. They did indeed pack in the crowds, I like the way they sell concessions, & those Upstate Noo Yawkas really like to gamble...last time I went 50/50 was over $7,000, more than 1st place winner got!
I don't know about any other New Englanders moving to Hoosier Land, but you probably knew the late great Don Sherrill, who moved there from Missouri...
Last edited by revjimk; 11/12/22 at 2:20 PM.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, tirespinner
11/12/22, 2:31 PM   #57
snowdrift

Only living 6 miles from Winchester was the first my dad then took me to eldora was probably in late 60s to early 70 thanks dad the fun I have had racing

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, chrismattlin, flagboy55, JJMooney, tirespinner
11/12/22, 2:43 PM   #58
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
Did Funk introduce us a few years back at Lil 500?
Yea, Lebanon Valley is a very good facility, but the racing has been boring every time I went, for Allstars. Local Modified fans told me it the same with Mods. They did indeed pack in the crowds, I like the way they sell concessions, & those Upstate Noo Yawkas really like to gamble...last time I went 50/50 was over $7,000, more than 1st place winner got!
I don't know about any other New Englanders moving to Hoosier Land, but you probably knew the late great Don Sherrill, who moved there from Missouri...
Really miss Don

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, tirespinner
11/12/22, 5:42 PM   #59
Rapid Rick

1963 at Winchester. Dad said I fell asleep during the feature. Hard to believe with those Offys under the tin roof. Hasn't happened since.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, chrismattlin, flagboy55, JJMooney
11/12/22, 7:16 PM   #60
Andrew S. Quinn

I cant remember if we talked about this when I saw you at Lawrenceburg this past year.

Meeting many of my racing friends has been thru incredible luck,and later on met other friends,and other friends and so on,and in the meantime other racing trips and friendships have happened which all happened because someone knew me. I am the common denominator in it,usually. I met you and Spike in 1996 in Richmond,Indiana,where we were all staying. My buddy Steve from Australia,whom I met at Knoxville in 1994,and I decided to go to the Big One in 1996,along with Sun Prairie,Front Row Challenge etc etc. We started making plans for this in 1995 after I got back from Knoxville. I told him what I wanted to do in 96,and he said sure after thinking about it. Keep in mind,I hadnt traveled much by myself,other than the many trips to Pennsylvania,so this was a lot of uncharted territory.

I started planning things,called motels in Richmond,Indiana what I did before i had the internet,much easier to do now. Anyways I booked a motel room,wrote it down,and put it in with all my other racing contacts,both here in the USA,and Australia as well. When it came time to go to Eldora,I couldnt find my reservation. No problem,I thought,Richmond doesnt look to be to big a town,probably 3 motels there. Well when we arrived,there are way more than 3 motels,and I couldnt remember which motel it was. Steve was telling me what an idiot I must be etc etc,when we pulled in where you and Spike were staying,and we got a room there too. So thats how we met,all because I screwed up a motel reservation! But,because of that screwed up motel reservation,many other things happened afterwards.

Everywhere we went the rest of our trip you guys were there too. On our final night of the big first time trip for me,we were supposed to go to Eagle in Nebraska,which rained out. We went back to the motel which JD Kramer from Two Winners Racing had recommended to me,and low and behold we pulled in and there was Spikes van. We inquired which room he was in,and met up with him there and went out to eat etc etc.By then Spike was counting up how many frequent flyer miles he had,because he figured it was time to go watch racing in Australia,which he did twice,the first time in 95/96,and his second time was also my 2nd time there in 98/99.In between all that Steve and Paula came to the US and got married in Vegas,and went to Texas to visit with Spike as well.

Now think about this: All this happened because I screwed up a motel reservation. If you go back to 1994 at the Hy-Vee in Knoxville,where I met Steve.I only met him because he was wearing an Australian Sprint car Championship t shirt,and he happened to be in line right in front of me when we started talking. If it had been a day later,chances are we wouldnt have met,as Steve was wearing a Dave Blaney t shirt and would have blended in with everyone else.

I met Australian Sprint car driver Darren Jensen through you guys,and in later years he made connections all across Australia,through my racing connections. Thats may to much to type out here though.

All this,and probably a lot more if I think about it,because I screwed up a motel reservation......

P.S I think Spike told me Johnny Rutherford drove his sprint car too. I still have Christmas cards from Spike of him dressed up playing Santa...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Porter View Post
In my 6th decade myself.

Not really sure of my first race. In 1974 (I was 4yrs old) we moved to Arlington Tx and ended up living next door to Don "Spike" Spiess from MN. He had built sprinters in MN, fielding a car for Jerry Richert Sr before work brought him to TX.

I remember plenty of night s with Spike and my dad at Devils Bowl. We do know we were at the inaugural WoO races, and, well, you all know who won.

In the 80's we made most of the WoO shows in TX and OK but didn't really have the time to travel. That all changed once Spike retired. He decided to hit the road and see as many races as possible.

Over the next 15-18 years we hit races everywhere we could. This started a 20+ year stint at the Knoxville Nationals, we made every Historical Big One, the Mopar Million, the Western World and another 20+ year stint at the Chili Bowl.

During this time made some lifelong friends we simply met at the track. One being our very own Andrew S Quinn or as I know him One Sock (long story). Unfortunately I lost my race buddy in 2007 so some of the traveling diminished, but I'm still trying to get to the races as much as my schedule will allow.

Just this year I managed to make a complete ISW (for the first time)with some great friends out of VT and we'll be getting together again for our annual trek to Tulsa in January.

What I've learned over all these years is racing people are just plain great folks!
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 11/12/22 at 7:25 PM.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Ilovedirttrackracing, luckybuc97, racenut69
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > When and Where Did You See Your 1st Sprint Car Race