IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: What do you call a budget-minded Midget?
D-II, Division 2 Midgets 28 31.11%
Sportsman Midgets 45 50.00%
AA Midgets 5 5.56%
Midget "Lites" 12 13.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Great Name Debate
1/30/15, 3:16 PM   #11
Re: The Great Name Debate
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by El1teBr33ze View Post
I'm not bashing anyone here but I'm personally tired of this name debate thing. This is very simple. And keep in mind I use to drive a chain driven car.

A chain driven car is a mini sprint or lightning sprint. Lightning sprint was given to not be confused with micro sprints because they are also referred to as mini sprints by many people. Wing or no wing, it's a lightning sprint or a mini sprint.

A shaft drive car is a midget. Plain and simple.

Have a Spike with an R1 in it? Don't care. Lightning sprint. Want to drive a midget? Put a drive shaft in it. "So what if you're IMRA?" Well, then you're promoted as IMRA but everyone knows you run combined midgets and lightning sprints. They are not all midgets.

Do you see people calling 410 sprint cars in Indiana that don't have wings a different name? No. They're still sprint cars, just referred to in promotions as Non-Wing Sprint Cars (and sometimes doesn't even say non-wing!).

Rant over. I've read these posts so many times I'm going nuts.

Other than engine chain and rear axle (driveline) what parts do you buy for the "Lightning Sprint"
  • Front end and components? ...Midget
    Chassis (bare) ...Midget
    Body ...Midget
    Steering gear manual ...Midget
    Wheels ...Midget
    Tires ...Midget
    Radius rods ...Midget
    Bird cage ...Midget
    Brakes ...Midget
    Seat ...Midget
    Rear Tanks with bladder ...Midget

Again other than the POWER PLANT they are the same and pretty damn equal in HP.
The ones that matter are the ones in the stands and I promise you 95% can not tell the difference going around the track.

You see Midget or Lightning Sprint....I see "OPTIONS" depends if you want chain drive or QC...Motorcycle or Auto.....and NOTHING off a Sprint car will fit onto a Midget/Lightning other than a seat.

Not saying to "CHANGE" your rules or your name just looking to fly under 1 large banner....We are not NATIONAL at all...we are all Regional...but under 1 banner or entity as Division II Midgets we can be.

Then once we all fly under that one banner and get a CORPORATE sponsor we would become ....just for giggles we will use IOW as the example....The IOW Midgets....Yet we will be very diverse and we all keep our OWN name as a Regional series...

This is not to make it a pissing contest .... the strength is in #'s

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

2 members like this post: DAD, jjones752
1/30/15, 3:27 PM   #12
cbaumeyer48

Now we are getting somewhere! That's not bad.... Here's a few : XD Midgets, (XD=chain drive). GX Midgets or Sprints, SS Midgets..... If everyone keeps tossing the spitballs at the wall.... I bet we can find a good one....still like Lightning Sprints!

1 member likes this post: DAD
1/30/15, 3:36 PM   #13
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaumeyer48 View Post
Now we are getting somewhere! That's not bad.... Here's a few : XD Midgets, (XD=chain drive). GX Midgets or Sprints, SS Midgets..... If everyone keeps tossing the spitballs at the wall.... I bet we can find a good one....still like Lightning Sprints!
so where do you buy those "Lightning Sprint" parts...is there a Lightning sprint store around?...Foz and Hoosier Speed builds those but they are converted midgets.....Does Floyd Bailey still build them?...There is Hyper but the same Lightning Chassis is their midget chassis.....

I would have to say Rick at Henchcraft is the ONLY one in the US that builds strictly a Lightning Chassis that is not a converted Spike/XXX/Hyper/Eagle

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

3 members like this post: cbaumeyer48, DAD, jjones752
1/30/15, 3:42 PM   #14
PatrickMead#13

"Most Discussed Racecars" .... The most accurate description of what we have right now. Just think of the marketing opportunities there.

Jack-"What are you doing tonight?
Wyatt-"Going to watch the most discussed race cars tonight"
Jack-"What the heck is that?"
Wyatt-"Not sure but they are something to see as they are the most discussed race cars......."
Jack-"Damn, I better get a school bus,load it up, and get down to the track because everyone should the most discussed race cars to see what it's all about......"

I just may make a hat that says it......lol

5 members like this post: cbaumeyer48, DAD, El1teBr33ze, jjones752, Wayne Davis
1/30/15, 4:05 PM   #15
TQ29m

Call them "Midget Lights/lites", post the rules, and hang on! Bob

2 members like this post: cbaumeyer48, DAD
1/30/15, 4:11 PM   #16
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Pretty tight battle for the lead between Sportsman and D-II. Definitely Most Discussed Racecars...
Elbows up! Plenty more laps to run.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

2 members like this post: cbaumeyer48, Wayne Davis
1/30/15, 4:30 PM   #17
ROSS

Race Count Last Year: 53

Can I just say that as a parent of a current quarter midget racer who is looking for the next step in racing all this talk is very confusing and disheartening. I always thought our next step was to go mini-sprint racing or whatever the hell it is now. After months of reading through this stuff it's nothing I want to get involved in. Thought it might be good for some of you to know that while you think you're doing your sport some good by talking/arguing over stuff on a forum you're actually showing others that aren't involved it's a complete mess. I'm starting to believe those who say save your money on that step and buy a sprintcar. Go to Paragon and learn.

1/30/15, 4:55 PM   #18
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSS View Post
Can I just say that as a parent of a current quarter midget racer who is looking for the next step in racing all this talk is very confusing and disheartening. I always thought our next step was to go mini-sprint racing or whatever the hell it is now. After months of reading through this stuff it's nothing I want to get involved in. Thought it might be good for some of you to know that while you think you're doing your sport some good by talking/arguing over stuff on a forum you're actually showing others that aren't involved it's a complete mess. I'm starting to believe those who say save your money on that step and buy a sprintcar. Go to Paragon and learn.
Ross

Your next step will probably be a Mini Sprint formerly known as a Micro sprint or sidewinder. It will have 10" wheels and the driver will assume a familiar driving position. You should be able to get into these things initially for less than $8000.00 There will be lots of people out there Trying to sell you the latest and fastest go faster items invented to date. Then your next step will be a wopper somewhere between $20,000.00 to $30,00.00 for a Semi competitive Midget or Sprint Car. Maybe a $125,000.00 to $150,000.00 Rental would be more to your liking?

You will have missed the full size Midget race car with a rather inexpensive Engine and drive train combinations. The cost somewhere around $10,000.00 for a very competitive race cars with handling characteristics and speeds on 1/4 mile and smaller tracks very comparable to the full Midget. Like one guy said you put on the wings and they are faster.

For some strange reason we have people that do not want to take on the name of our particular type of race car for what it really is "Midget". Old habits die hard. Whether it be a chain drive motorcycle powered car or a stock block drive shaft car the darned things are still Midgets. Just like a 305 Sprint is not a 410 sprint, but they both are Sprint Cars and people immediately recognize the difference. Why is it that we should be called any kind of a sprint car?

Can any one please explain to me the resemblance between a "Mini>Lightning>Sprint and a Sprint car???? I for the life of me just can not come up with any thing that we share in common with any class of Sprint Car.

Yeh Echotec does not turn me on either, (sounds like somebody is getting sick) Now FOCUS and KENYON is kind of cool.

Anything "Sprint" is not truthful.

What you need to do is load up your driver and come on down to Du Quoin and watch a race, those things really get competitive!!!! Warning you might want to steer clear of those Jr. Sprints>
Last edited by DAD; 1/30/15 at 5:19 PM.

1 member likes this post: Wayne Davis
1/30/15, 5:28 PM   #19
addictedtodirt

I'm confused Daddy-o. Is it 10K or 20-30k for a midget? I don't race. I'm a fan, and all this is confusing.
When I pull into the track and hear midgets, or school buses, or clown cars (or any division for that matter) are on the program, I assume they are all competing under the same set of rules.

1 member likes this post: cbaumeyer48
1/30/15, 5:44 PM   #20
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Ross, the stuff on here is only a sideshow and mostly harmless. Come up to Montpelier on April 4th, buy pit passes and see for yourself why we're so passionate about our sport. I'll be there. Come by and say hello. Pat will probably be there, maybe Dad and his son Doug. We're not as crazy as we sound on IOW. Really. Plus, there's a good chance you'll meet guys like Johnny Heidenreich and Robbie Parrish who've been around this sport long enough to be legends, as well as up-and-comers like Austin Nemire, Spencer Bayston and Justin Peck. Then sit up in the pit stands and watch the racing. It will be much less confusing, and you will be encouraged, not disheartened. And maybe, just maybe, you'll understand...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

2 members like this post: Airsys, Racer1039
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Great Name Debate