IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Passing of Weekly Racing
2/26/23, 11:51 AM   #11
Re: The Passing of Weekly Racing
toprowjim

Here in Colorado one of our track promoters showed up at a Rocky Mountain Racing Assc. (RMMRA) meeting and said the days of just watching cars going around in circles is over. He said people want to be entertained with several things like bands, activities etc. along with the racing. I couldn't disagree more!! At 77 years old I love watching races, but I don't want to see 15 divisions of cars run that wear out the track before my favorite sprint cars, midget , lighting sprints, and late models. With my favorites that makes 19 divisions of cars. Then if they rewater the track it is too late its is like putting water on concrete, just a waste of time, dries right up. At my age they quit caring about what open wheel fans want. Too bad there are some great young drivers and owners that can put on a great show with just a few groups!!

1 member likes this post: oppweld
2/26/23, 12:37 PM   #12
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

The biggest problem is tracks with way too many classes to begin with. I honestly think it should be 5 max on the number of classes run each night on a weekly show. When you have so many classes it dilutes the number of cars in the other divisions.

Example. You as a promoter have 5 divisions and now you decide to add 2 + more. Now you dilute the car count in the other divisions because some of those drivers and teams would move to those new divisions and now you have less cars in the divisions, they were already running in. With those added divisions, now you are putting more laps on the track and ruining the track prep that had been done. I think some promoters need to wake up and use their heads.

One or two premier divisions, one or to mid-tier divisions, and or one or two lower tier divisions. Most every track across the U.S. has a different name for their weekly divisions.

Tier 1 - Super Late Models, UMP / USRA / IMCA Modifieds (A-Mods), Big Block Modifieds, 358 Modifieds, 410 Wing Sprints, 410 Non-Wing Sprints, 360 Winged Sprints, 604 Crate Late Models, 360 Non-Wing, 305 Wing Sprints, & Limited Late Models

Tier 2 - 602 Crate Late Models, Super Stocks, Super Streets (UMP Style) Sportsman, Street Stocks, Crate Sportsman, Stock Cars, Crate 604 Modifieds, Thunder Bomber, B-Mods, Sport Mods, V-8 Stocks, Sportsman Modifieds (Northeast, Limited Sportsman (Northeast), DIRTcar Pro Stocks, 602 Modifieds, Hobby Stocks, Bombers, Limited Modifieds, Renegades, Crate 604 Wing Sprints, Crate 602 Wing Sprints, 1200cc Mini Sprints, & 1000cc Mini Sprints

Tier 3 - Factory Stocks, Sport Stocks, Pure Streets, Hobby Mods, Mod Lites, Dwarf Cars, 600cc Outlaw Winged Micro Sprints, 600cc Non-Wing Micro Sprints, 600cc A-Class Micro Sprints, Sr. Micro Sprints, Jr. Sprints, Mini Stocks, 4 Cylinders, 6 Cylinders, Front Wheel Drives (FWD), Rear Wheel Drives (RWD), Pro 4's, Sport Compacts, 4 Cylinder Stocks, Mini Wedge, & a class for young kids / teenagers to learn how to drive and race with respect.

As someone who truly enjoys racing. I have said for a while I'd like to be a promoter. I've told a number of my close friends for years If I had the money, I'd like to get my hands on Shadyhill Speedway. The track sits in the middle of know where and likely wouldn't close for a very long time. The few things that could use fixing and updating there besides the obvious track surface are the bathrooms and expand the pit area. The track has an overflow pit behind the main pit area that hasn't been use since the 1980's and is overgrown with trees and bushes. The track property has more land than it looks. Then put a fresh coat of paint on all of the buildings.

Last edited by nathans1012; 2/26/23 at 1:03 PM.

1 member likes this post: toprowjim
2/26/23, 12:52 PM   #13
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

No, You get rid of the multiple divisions of the same cars, PERIOD
Two each. Super LM's and Cratemodels, Sprints, 360 ASCS and 410s if you got something else. You race with one of them based on closeness of what you got.

Mods, I do the sport mod only. People are basically putting full up LM motors in Mods anymore and the econo mod isn't much cheaper than a sport/crate.

Mini Sprint, 450 and 600 only.

Some shows anymore, You could enter a 305 in a 410 race and by car count alone take more at the pay window than you would for SECOND at a 305 race. If your cars any good and tracks right. You could finish a lot higher than last. I seen Dallas Hewitt do it at Eldora. So don't say it can't be done. Also seen it done at Atomic. Seen Jessie Hockett take a ASCS 360 and finish third in a USAC race at Eldora.

That or you eliminate the motor size rule and just do a compression limit. Easy to test. It's why motors detonate instead of lasting a season or two.

i don't understand instituting rules that thru technolicological advancements just make it more and more expensive evertime someone can find ten more horses. FORD had a increible motor at one time, The twin overhead cam that was used in Sprints, Champs and Indy cars. NOPE, GOTTA OUTLAW THAT. A MOTOR that could race hundreds of miles. Three 100s or fifty lap races in a night and never hurt it. Nope, gotta have internal cams and keep reinventing the heads to add ten grand for every 10hp now. That 1970 motor could probably top ten a race today.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 2/26/23 at 1:07 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Passing of Weekly Racing