IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Badlands Speedway Gold Cup ?
8/20/16, 1:21 PM   #61
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
BOSS is a "true" concept and they pull more cars on average than MSCS, USAC or any other non-wing series in the country. WoO you never know how many cars are going to show either. They may pull enough to run a C-Main or it could be like earlier this week where the Dash alone nearly constituted half of the field.

What I don't get is WoO regulars ran ASCoC events during Speedweeks and it's not an issue, they run Winter Heat at Cocopah and it's not an issue, yet they couldn't run Brandon last night when they themselves had no race? Why?

I realize they're a popular series and they do get fans in the stands although sometimes their races can be less than exciting. But I would think with nothing going on it can't hurt to let drivers go elsewhere. You don't see USAC getting bent out of shape when their drivers do other events on off nights.
You can't see what it would hurt? What it hurts is it dilutes their product. If a promotor can stage a good paying show and get the top WoO cars without the sanction fee and paying the purse threw out the field, what reason to have them? That's why USAC purses are where there at.... You just as likely to see some of them at any track that's running if USAC is off...can you imagine what USAC could pay if there top 10-15 cars were contracted to them and the only chance you'd see them is at a USAC show?
As far as BOSS, it is a great concept with a decent purse & I applaud their efforts to have a series that a blue collar guy can run and (mostly) afford. They have some great talent but I'm not sure they have the star power yet to restrict their guys from running elsewhere. My .02

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, i love dirt track racing, jim goerge
8/20/16, 2:26 PM   #62
Re: Badlands Speedway Gold Cup ?
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
You can't see what it would hurt? What it hurts is it dilutes their product. If a promotor can stage a good paying show and get the top WoO cars without the sanction fee and paying the purse threw out the field, what reason to have them? That's why USAC purses are where there at.... You just as likely to see some of them at any track that's running if USAC is off...can you imagine what USAC could pay if there top 10-15 cars were contracted to them and the only chance you'd see them is at a USAC show?
As far as BOSS, it is a great concept with a decent purse & I applaud their efforts to have a series that a blue collar guy can run and (mostly) afford. They have some great talent but I'm not sure they have the star power yet to restrict their guys from running elsewhere. My .02
Do you honestly think that because Schatz or Shane Stewart go and run Badlands for a one off event that it's somehow going to hurt WoO in the long run? It's not like 50k to win shows happen on a weekly basis.

I still don't get what the big deal is? Like I said on WoO off nights during Speedweeks in FL you have guys running ASCoC that are WoO regulars. Pittman, Saldana, Stewart, etc (all big names in WoO) ran Cocopah and there was no drama there.

Not trying to argue with you. I just think all the drama up that way is more of a result of the Badlands/Chuck vs. WoO rather than WoO trying to protect their product.
Last edited by Nate; 8/20/16 at 2:31 PM.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, flagboy55
8/20/16, 2:38 PM   #63
Rpracing1

***PURSE INCREASE ALERT***
Tonight's "Rock & Roll Gold Cup" preliminary now pays $10,000 to win & $1,000 to start!

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Sandy Lowe, sapper211
8/20/16, 3:21 PM   #64
motorhead748

Quote:
Do you honestly think that because Schatz or Shane Stewart go and run Badlands for a one off event that it's somehow going to hurt WoO in the long run? It's not like 50k to win shows happen on a weekly basis.

I still don't get what the big deal is? Like I said on WoO off nights during Speedweeks in FL you have guys running ASCoC that are WoO regulars. Pittman, Saldana, Stewart, etc (all big names in WoO) ran Cocopah and there was no drama there.

Not trying to argue with you. I just think all the drama up that way is more of a result of the Badlands/Chuck vs. WoO rather than WoO trying to protect their product.
where do you draw the line? If it's ok to go run one show , why not another next week? As far as Florida/ cocopah it's a little different deal in that the WoO season hasn't started.
As far as badlands /chuck vs WoO, it's my understanding that chuck only wanted the cars, no dirtvision , no Craftsman etc. the WoO would have been stupid to cave to his demands.
I'm sure chuck has done a lot of good things with husets with all he's done to the track and increased purses etc but there is one common denominator in the friction in that area & that would be chuck.
I've been to husets/badlands several times and had high expectations of riding out to see the improvements but seeing how everything has unfolded I'm gonna wait a bit.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
8/20/16, 8:24 PM   #65
Jonr

Quote:

This is one of the re-occurring themes on IOW that makes me laugh.

Every x months, someone will get on the message board and complain how much more money the WOO drivers earn. They will complain about the bigger sponsorships that they receive. They will complain that they don't understand why the WOO is perceived as the premiere Sprint Car Sanction in the country.

Then every x months, there will be a post like this one complaining about the WOO not allowing their drivers to race for other promoters. The post will complain when the WOO will go to great lengths to protect their image and their drivers.

These two things are directly related. If you want to see a WOO driver, you have to go to a WOO show. If you want to be a contracted WOO driver, you will receive great benefits, but you will have to be committed to the WOO. They go hand and hand.

8/20/16, 8:47 PM   #66
old timer

33 non wing cars per USAC

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, jim goerge, old time Hoosier
8/20/16, 8:54 PM   #67
sapper211

CJ in the 66 up in smoke in hot laps. He bailed out. He is up and talking to the safety folks. USAC guys said he is ok.

8/20/16, 9:02 PM   #68
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

I think there are stipulations about what tracks the USAC drivers can race at between USAC shows. I THINK that the track has to be on the USAC schedule at least once during the season or they are penalized for racing there. (They lose points or something) At least that's the way it used to be.

8/20/16, 9:06 PM   #69
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
This is one of the re-occurring themes on IOW that makes me laugh.

Every x months, someone will get on the message board and complain how much more money the WOO drivers earn. They will complain about the bigger sponsorships that they receive. They will complain that they don't understand why the WOO is perceived as the premiere Sprint Car Sanction in the country.

Then every x months, there will be a post like this one complaining about the WOO not allowing their drivers to race for other promoters. The post will complain when the WOO will go to great lengths to protect their image and their drivers.

These two things are directly related. If you want to see a WOO driver, you have to go to a WOO show. If you want to be a contracted WOO driver, you will receive great benefits, but you will have to be committed to the WOO. They go hand and hand.
Again, I understand that the WoO drivers are committed to WoO, at least the full time drivers that is, which is 11 or 12 guys.

WoO is a national brand. They race all over the country and since they do dabble into Canada you could say internationally. They struggled to find series sponsorship a few years ago but now Craftsman is onboard and all the power to them. Drivers get big time sponsors because it's the most marketable type of dirt racing out there. I have no issue with the money they make or their sponsors. Never been an issue with me, you wanna spend the money to race in the big time then the more you make, basic economics. I don't have a college degree in finance but its not a hard subject to understand.

I get the benefit of running WoO. They make it worth while. Also, I get why fans are in the stands, I actually believe a lot of other series around the country should take note in the fan engagement that WoO does. May seem stupid to some but for a youngster that gets to go down on the track or in front of the crowd and gets to do the inversion draw...he's a lifelong fan. They're giving away free Craftsman tools and and have all kinds of stuff going on to enhance their program.

Personally, I just don't think we should limit drivers. Bryan Clauson wouldn't have won a Kokomo Speedway track championship if USAC had rule saying he couldn't run anything else. A third of the Knoxville Nationals field wouldn't have been there if ASCoC had a rule. That's all I'm saying.

I get it, I really do. But even NASCAR doesn't have a rule against drivers going down and running ARCA and/or CRA series which is has been done this season, especially with some of the younger or underfunded type drivers. Why? Because it won't ruin their product, although some may argue the NASCAR product isn't one to speak of these days but nevertheless there are still big bucks to be made in that department.

From guys I've talked to closely connected to the series they say the drivers want nothing to do with Badlands or Chuck anyways but I'd be curious to see just how true that is. If Schatz can go run a late model on a night off then I don't see why he shouldn't be allowed to take his sprint car wherever he wants.

Like I said, not trying to get in a pissin' match over it. I have never read over what their contract says or doesn't say and have no clue of the clauses they have. I just know if I was a true racer, my series wasn't running, and I had a car as strong as some of the WoO bubbas, I'd wanna go run for big bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racegal View Post
I think there are stipulations about what tracks the USAC drivers can race at between USAC shows. I THINK that the track has to be on the USAC schedule at least once during the season or they are penalized for racing there. (They lose points or something) At least that's the way it used to be.
Not sure about that one entirely.

Seen Darland, Meseraull, etc run at tracks with BOSS this year not on USAC's schedule. Could be wrong though.
Last edited by Nate; 8/20/16 at 9:11 PM.

1 member likes this post: racegal
8/20/16, 9:19 PM   #70
sapper211

Macho man into the wall in qualifying. He's up out and getting it fixed. Bicycled the cushion, took a weird hop into the wall. KevinThomas is QT so far. Stockton second quick, Tmez 3rd.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Badlands Speedway Gold Cup ?