IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > LPS Ambulance Crew locks themselves out of rear of vehicle
7/4/21, 6:47 AM   #1
LPS Ambulance Crew locks themselves out of rear of vehicle
Adolph

Race Count This Year: 27
Race Count Last Year: 27,27,40,28,69

Mini-Sprint driver Levi Whitehouse reportedly had a shattered knee cap, broken rib and punctured lung. The paramedics locked themselves out of the ambulance for about 10 minutes and the driver was hunched over leaning against ambulance getting no worthwhile aid. It was not a shinning moment for safety crew. He was eventually air lifted out of infield.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/4/21, 8:14 AM   #2
RedRacer07

Definitely a bad time for a mistake. Very unfortunate. I will not report specifics on driver condition (maybe rumors), but will add I am relieved what I have read this morning.

2 members like this post: Pete Wright, tirespinner
7/4/21, 9:06 AM   #3
Truphy

I was wondering how’s that possible? I would think like on fire trucks and ambulances there would be some where on the outside that could be pushed to unlock it in an emergency such as last night? Why don’t all drivers of the ambulance have extra keys on themselves or even a hideaway key? Anyways that was definitely a first for me seeing someone airlifted out. I think everyone did a good job clearing the infield and setting up a circle for the helicopter to land in.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/4/21, 9:13 AM   #4
VSneader2

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 11

A first for me as well. His wife commented on a post on facebook with the following

"They heard a pop in his lung and were saying collapsed lung and possible shattered knee. We’re at the hospital now and he’s doing okay."

5 members like this post: Bostonian, openwheelfan1, oppweld, RedRacer07, tirespinner
7/4/21, 3:05 PM   #5
Re: LPS Ambulance Crew locks themselves out of rear of vehic
Jonr

Was this a private track owned ambulance or was it a paid service ambulance?

7/4/21, 4:07 PM   #6
Bill Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
Putnam County was on the door of the ambulance, and a 2nd one showed up soon after. I'm guessing they're from Putnam County Hospital

7/4/21, 6:01 PM   #7
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSneader2 View Post
A first for me as well. His wife commented on a post on facebook with the following

"They heard a pop in his lung and were saying collapsed lung and possible shattered knee. We’re at the hospital now and he’s doing okay."
I saw a FB post from Levi Singleton’s wife via MMSA’s FB page and she said that Levi has been released from the hospital at 5AM this morning (Sunday). No broken bones, no collapsed lung, POSSIBLY a fractured rib, but not yet determined. Sore but ready to get to work on the car.

Scary incident, but glad he seems to be okay.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Hubie48, Jerry Shaw, jim goerge, ronmil
7/5/21, 6:10 AM   #8
Re: LPS Ambulance Crew locks themselves out of rear of vehic
Hubie48

People make mistakes. I hope something is learned from this and as a bonus the injured driver seems to be on the mend.

Reminds me of a sad incident involving a borrowed helmet and no ambulance from several years ago.

1 member likes this post: ronmil
7/5/21, 4:16 PM   #9
Milly

Originally Posted by Jonr:
Putnam County was on the door of the ambulance, and a 2nd one showed up soon after. I'm guessing they're from Putnam County Hospital

They are not affiliated with Putnam County Hospital!!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > LPS Ambulance Crew locks themselves out of rear of vehicle