IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Changing the gear on a mini sprint
9/7/09, 8:23 PM   #1
Changing the gear on a mini sprint
Jrp4554

Everyone tells me that the best way to change the gear is to move the rear axle forward by shortening the radius rods and adjusting the torsion arms heim out. It just seems like it would be easier to take the chain tensioner off. WHat's the general consensus?

Thanks in advance, I'm new to the whole chain thing.

9/14/09, 6:17 PM   #2
Re: Changing the gear on a mini sprint
ringo18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrp4554 View Post
Everyone tells me that the best way to change the gear is to move the rear axle forward by shortening the radius rods and adjusting the torsion arms heim out. It just seems like it would be easier to take the chain tensioner off. WHat's the general consensus?

Thanks in advance, I'm new to the whole chain thing.
It really depends on how much of a gear change you are making. You can loosen the chain tensioner and adjust your tension that way, if you're making a small change. If you are making a bigger change you will also have to adjust the radius rods and the torsion arms to keep your bird cages in time. Keep track of the amount of turns on your radius rods and heims to keep the axle square in the chassis.

9/16/09, 11:37 AM   #3
Cincinnati Kid

Ringo18 is right. Depending on what kind of tensioner you are running. If it is a roller with a spring, you may need to swap the spring for a longer or shorter one depending on which way you go with the gear. If you are running a FOZ type tensioner, which the chain runs through two block, you can open or close up the blocks. As said before, the birdcage timing is important and you will notice a difference in the rear end if they are not adjusted correctly. Hope this helps.

10/18/09, 12:27 AM   #4
Jus Roach

Changing sprockets using the tensioner method keeps me from inadvertently changing alignment and timing of the birdcages. Plus it normally can be done in less time.

$.02

11/19/09, 7:03 AM   #5
nikdevid

Deciding when to shift gear is even harder when you’re driving. on the road, first find a fairly straight, wide road where there is little or no other traffic.Move off in first gear and change into 2nd gear as soon as you can. Accelerate to about 15-20 mph, then change into 3rd gear. Accelerate in 3rd to 25-30 mph and then change into 4th.You will only need to practise using the 5th gear when you are competent using the first 4 gears.

11/19/09, 9:19 PM   #6
TQ29m

Might want to read the question, again. Bob

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Changing the gear on a mini sprint