IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > AMSOIL USAC National Sprints - 2022 Schedule
12/10/21, 10:47 AM   #21
Re: AMSOIL USAC National Sprints - 2022 Schedule
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Would love to see the Silver Crown cars at Route 66 in Joliet, IL. I think the track is still plenty big enough for them to run there.

2 members like this post: jdull99, oppweld
12/10/21, 11:29 AM   #22
flagboy55

ISF. I too was at 66 for what can only be described as a debacle when the Allstars and USAC midgets were in attendance. I believe that’s the night they also DQ’d Larson. Anyway I’ve been back since and ran into another problem which was getting into the track. I won’t go into the whole story but once in it was good. The management there which I believe is Sherry Heckanast has actually done a great job with her staff. Very friendly and helpful. I’m very well aware of the entrenched Late Model crowd at the central Illinois tracks. I’ve been to all of them except Jacksonville, which I was going to but got called to work. However I think if strategically promoted it could work but I’m thinking that would take a lot from both USAC and the promotion team. They’re great little tracks. As far as the whole Terre Haute thing Throwback. If I read you correctly you’re saying local racing is more important than the national series at one of the best, and historically relevant tracks in the country? Maybe to some I suppose but I can’t grasp that logic. And since Flo I haven’t missed a race at the Action Track, because my bed is only a few steps away. That being said there’s nothing like being there. Every time I drive through the gate I feel like I’ve stepped on hallowed ground. Lucky enough to have Dad take us there mid 70’s Back then the only that was more important was a horse race from Kentucky.

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, spicoli, tirespinner
12/10/21, 12:02 PM   #23
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
ISF. I too was at 66 for what can only be described as a debacle when the Allstars and USAC midgets were in attendance. I believe that’s the night they also DQ’d Larson. Anyway I’ve been back since and ran into another problem which was getting into the track. I won’t go into the whole story but once in it was good. The management there which I believe is Sherry Heckanast has actually done a great job with her staff. Very friendly and helpful. I’m very well aware of the entrenched Late Model crowd at the central Illinois tracks. I’ve been to all of them except Jacksonville, which I was going to but got called to work. However I think if strategically promoted it could work but I’m thinking that would take a lot from both USAC and the promotion team. They’re great little tracks.
Sherry does a good job at Route 66 and it would be unfair to lay all the blame at her feet for the midget debacle. Beautiful facility that really should be utilized for racing more than it is.

The World of Outlaws shows at Fairbury seemed to be very well promoted. I attended the 1st of two WoO shows and aside from the track rubbering down for the last 12 or 15 laps of the A-main and being just a bit short on push vehicles it was a good show despite the fact that I'm not a huge winger advocate. It was posted on Fairbury's Facebook after the 2nd time WoO's were there and the schedule was released for the following season devoid of the WoO's. A track spokesman posted that they couldn't make any money. I must admit the crowd was lighter for the WoO's than what they normally draw for a regular weekly late model/mod/street stock show. I attend at least a couple of those every year. If they can't make any money hosting the top dirt open wheel division in the country then a USAC National show probably isn't going to cut it despite top flight promotion. Sad, but true.
Last edited by ISF; 12/10/21 at 4:25 PM.

4 members like this post: luckybuc97, nathans1012, racenut69, tirespinner
12/10/21, 4:18 PM   #24
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
ISF. If I read you correctly you’re saying local racing is more important than the national series at one of the best, and historically relevant tracks in the country? Maybe to some I suppose but I can’t grasp that logic.
What I'm saying in a nutshell is that in all likelihood a weekly late model/mod/street stock show at Fairbury will produce more spectator support than either the USAC Midgets or Sprint Cars. The fan base is solid and plentiful in their support of the fendered cars. It's in their DNA.

As a mere spectator Fairbury has been my home track going all the way back to well before they changed the track configuration and before I was old enough to even drive to the track. I've sat on the backstretch (which is the preferred place to watch) for most of the open wheel shows surrounded by the local weekly regulars, most of whom I've known for decades. The fact is, most aren't attracted to racecars that require push starts and produce a red flag every time there is a rollover. Doesn't really matter if they are a national touring series or a regional sanction. Most don't know much about, nor do they care, in reference to USAC National divisions. That is reality. Given the spectator climate in our area at this time it appears there just aren't enough like you and I to make it worthwhile for management to schedule a USAC show.
Last edited by ISF; 12/10/21 at 4:20 PM.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, luckybuc97, racenut69, tirespinner
12/10/21, 6:46 PM   #25
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

The best kept secret in Illinois is Charleston Speedway. Bad fast 3/8s, saw some 3wide midget action and great WAR sprints there last year. Check it out if you get the chance you will not be disappointed. Coolers are allowed.

12/10/21, 7:12 PM   #26
dsc1600

I think the only place that the WoO can’t draw is Illinois and the quad cities area. Many have tried and none have successed at least recently. It’s like when the LMs go to the northeast and bomb every time. Just not in the locals DNA.

2 members like this post: ISF, tirespinner
12/10/21, 7:55 PM   #27
flagboy55

ISF. The last part of the question, about local racing and Terre Haute was intended for Throwback. I completely understand the Illinois Late Model deal. I do however think if properly done, a USAC race could do ok. I’m not referring to Outlaws races. I mean the cost of a USAC race would have to be about half what a WOO race is, or so we’re led to believe

3 members like this post: ISF, oppweld, tirespinner
12/10/21, 7:58 PM   #28
flagboy55

And I don’t blame Sherry for the debacle at Joliet. I once read that it was an issue with the other series, or Kyle coming over from the big track. I don’t know for sure but it wasn’t good. I would like to know what the problem was

2 members like this post: ISF, tirespinner
12/10/21, 9:56 PM   #29
cowboyhar69

If a promoter thought they could make money on any sanctioned race then they would be knocking at a sanctioning bodies door to get a date.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

12/11/21, 12:47 AM   #30
flagboy55

Tim, I can’t disagree. However there’s only so many dates to go around. And why take a chance on something different when you have something that’s already working. Maybe I didn’t articulate my point correctly. First, central Illinois has some great bullrings. Second, I’m just sayin it would be great to see some USAC races on these tracks. Third, I feel in order for it to work it would take some extra work from the tracks and USAC. I’m not sure how we got talking about the Outlaws because I believe this thread is about the USAC schedule. As much as I want to elevate my beloved United States Auto Club, as far as popularity goes, there’s really no comparison. But then again many Motorsport fans think NASCAR is entertaining

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, ISF, oppweld, spicoli
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > AMSOIL USAC National Sprints - 2022 Schedule