IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Action track status
7/3/11, 7:42 PM   #121
Re: Action track status
Fred Zirzow

Race Count This Year: 65
Race Count Last Year: 49

http://www.hoseheadforums.com/forum.cfm?ThreadID=56729

1 member likes this post: dirtball
7/3/11, 8:26 PM   #122
Rpracing1

The city of Terre Haute should be embarrased by the happenings at their county Fairgrounds................

$50......price of tickets for myself and my youngest 14 yr. old son..

$60......cost of fuel to get to THAT....

Missed day of Church to go to track.....Not good...

9 Hours of Holiday weekend Ruined........Thanks USAC...

After all of the chatter on this site about getting the younger crowd back to the races, my son said he could really care less if he ever goes back to see a race again after todays Fiasco....

USAC extremely lucky that no one was hurt or killed during qualifying or the ONE fantastic lap that was run.......

Only good call I made was to leave before race was cancelled.......

JMO..............

7/3/11, 8:29 PM   #123
Checker'd Past

Did they really hire the track crew from Eldora to prepare the track? Gee Stewart how did you let them get away?

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
7/3/11, 8:42 PM   #124
Rogue-9

I was there, it was ridiculous. As soon as the red flag came out all the drivers got out of there cars and walked away. It was so bad you couldn't see people sitting 5 rows in front of you. At the drop of the green the cars in back were going about 30 mph down the frontstretch under green because they couldn't see anything. The track was saturated at the beginning of the day and they spent 3 hours working it until it was bone-dry. Practice was scheduled for 11:30 but didn't start until after 2:00 so they could work the moisture out of the track, but they seemed to think it was proper to work ALL of the moisture out of the track. This was my first and possibly last time to the action track. I've been to 29 different dirt tracks, and I've never seen anything like it. And the USAC press release blamed it on the rain they got the night before! Ridiculous!

7/3/11, 8:43 PM   #125
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
The city of Terre Haute should be embarrased by the happenings at their county Fairgrounds................
Neither the City of Terre Haute or Vigo County have anything to do with the Wabash Valley Fairgrounds. It's owned and operated by the Wabash Valley Fair Association, which is a non-profit organization. It's main purpose is to serve the 4-H, not the local government.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

3 members like this post: agar, JEFFSTOY, JON'S MOM
7/3/11, 8:45 PM   #126
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
Sounds like a typical USAC Cluster F***.

Had a feeling this would happen when I heard USAC was running the show out there now. How are they going to spin this one?
I must respectfully disagree with your first statement. This was not a typical USAC CF, it was far, far worse than that. This is my 52nd year of going to races and I have been to a lot of races at a lot of different tracks from coast to coast and I honestly believe the dust at the green flag to start the race was the worst I have ever seen. Anyone who participated in the decision to give the green flag should be fired immediately. It doesn't matter if they don't care for the safety of the drivers or they aren't talented enough to realize what will happen, they should be fired. It was obvious from the dust cloud generated by the pace laps that the start would be a disaster, and it was. The track was better when Dave Allison was running it.

As to the spin, "Extreme heat and deteriorating track conditions" doesn't begin to address why this decision had to be made. This statement is an insult to the drivers and fans.

On a positive note, the drivers once again showed how good they really are. I think it is a minor miracle that they were able to make a lap and get stopped under the horrible conditions without more accidents. If it wasn't for their skill, this could have been a total disaster. We are so fortunate to be able to watch them night after night, week after week. I hope that none of the drivers involved in wrecks were injured.

I only hope that this can be a learning experience which will result in more intelligent management decisions during Sprint Week.

7/3/11, 8:45 PM   #127
deannalynn

Just got back from Terre Haute. They said T-Mez is ok and I hope that is true. There's not much I can say about the events of today that haven't already been said, but I'm not living with a USAC driver so who wants to hear my opinion about Indiana dirt tracks anyways?

By the way, I got in touch with a soldier who is a sprint fan from Indiana and stuck in the sandbox overseas. I'm not spending another quarter on a USAC race but I am going to donate a jackslash membership to that soldier.
Last edited by deannalynn; 7/3/11 at 8:47 PM.

7/3/11, 8:49 PM   #128
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannalynn View Post
but i'm not living with a usac driver so who wants to hear my opinion about indiana dirt tracks anyways?

1 member likes this post: apexonephoto
7/3/11, 8:56 PM   #129
ByronMack

[QUOTE=deannalynn;237771]Just got back from Terre Haute. They said T-Mez is ok and I hope that is true. There's not much I can say about the events of today that haven't already been said, but I'm not living with a USAC driver so who wants to hear my opinion about Indiana dirt tracks anyways? And you wonder why you get so much hostility directed at you.

QUOTE]
Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by ByronMack; 7/3/11 at 8:57 PM.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
7/3/11, 8:56 PM   #130
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtnonwingfan View Post
I must respectfully disagree with your first statement. This was not a typical USAC CF, it was far, far worse than that. This is my 52nd year of going to races and I have been to a lot of races at a lot of different tracks from coast to coast and I honestly believe the dust at the green flag to start the race was the worst I have ever seen. Anyone who participated in the decision to give the green flag should be fired immediately. It doesn't matter if they don't care for the safety of the drivers or they aren't talented enough to realize what will happen, they should be fired. It was obvious from the dust cloud generated by the pace laps that the start would be a disaster, and it was. The track was better when Dave Allison was running it.

As to the spin, "Extreme heat and deteriorating track conditions" doesn't begin to address why this decision had to be made. This statement is an insult to the drivers and fans.

On a positive note, the drivers once again showed how good they really are. I think it is a minor miracle that they were able to make a lap and get stopped under the horrible conditions without more accidents. If it wasn't for their skill, this could have been a total disaster. We are so fortunate to be able to watch them night after night, week after week. I hope that none of the drivers involved in wrecks were injured.

I only hope that this can be a learning experience which will result in more intelligent management decisions during Sprint Week.
I'll never understand why they started that race. The large amount of dust that was kicked up just on the laps to get everybody lined up and the wave lap had to give them a clue. Everybody in the stands knew what was getting ready to happen. I saw several people covering things up and many more were already turning their heads the other way, as they headed down towards the green. If I was one of those competitors I'd be saying to USAC what Ricky used to say to Lucy "You got some splainin to do."

I was in Section A of the covered grandstand and literally couldn't see the cars on the front stretch, right in front of me at the end of the first lap. They're just so lucky they didn't have one of those multi-car pileups, like the fog causes on interstate highways, sometimes. It was scary when they were getting off the gas and you could hear a few locking up their brakes. And the crowd had total empathy for the drivers, in this situation.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 7/3/11 at 9:10 PM.

2 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, jim goerge
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Action track status