IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Steering - LH vs RH for pavement
10/2/09, 6:08 PM   #1
Steering - LH vs RH for pavement
sprint11c

What is the advantage of right hand steering over left hand for pavement midgets, sprints and sc cars?

10/3/09, 9:35 AM   #2
Re: Steering - LH vs RH for pavement
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint11c View Post
What is the advantage of right hand steering over left hand for pavement midgets, sprints and sc cars?
I don't know whether this is the reason or not, but just an observation. Pavement cars, as opposed to dirt, predominantly steer to the left. With the steering on the left side, as on dirt cars, this would put the draglink and tie rod in compression. A long, cylindrical shaped item, such as drag link and tie rod, will only accept so much compression before they begin to bend. Conversely, with the steering on the right and steering predominantly to the left, the rods are in tension, thereby eliminating the forces trying to bend the rods.

I would also imagine with a pavement car, the loading on the right front is such that you want to be sure you have the most positive forces on that corner. With left hand steering the tie rod turns the wheel, through the drag link. With right hand steering the right wheel is turned directly by the draglink.

But, I'm probably wrong about all of this.

Tim Simmons

10/3/09, 11:08 AM   #3
TQ29m

Tim, your theories make sense, hadn't thought about the tech end of it, but I have to admit, I just figured it was a carry over from the old days, the left hand steering that is, because most parts used then were automotive, and most were auto chassis, with the steering already mounted there. Another reason for RH steer, there is more room on that side of an open wheel car, plus with the "barriers" on the inside of the track, if you hit one of them, and break some connection to the LF wheel, you can still control the car, and finish a race. It'll be interesting to see the results of this question. I've had guys walk away from a Rh steer car, but then the same guy puts pistons in a bench vise, to hang the rod, and put on the rings! Bob

10/12/09, 12:17 PM   #4
sprint11c

all good responses...anybody got any more???

10/12/09, 5:12 PM   #5
darnall

When the drag link is on the left side of the car (dirt) the left front wheel will rub the drag link when you turn to the left...doesn't really take very much wheel input to make it rub. once that happens, the LF tire stops rolling, effectively applying a brake to it. Also, when it hits, the wheels really can't be turned any farther left. On dirt you don't have to turn left very hard so having the drag link on the left lets you REALLY crank the front tires to the right, dang near fold them over if you need to, to negotiate being sideways.

Conversly, on pavement, if you have to turn right very far you are in trouble anyway so having the drag link on the right allows you to turn the wheels very far to the left without anything binding up.

I have Zero asphalt experience beyond karts but i have been told that the right hand steering on pavement gives the driver a better feel of the right front and makes the bump steer characteristics more positive for pavement handling.

11/26/09, 4:52 PM   #6
fudge1

IMHO it is all about offset. With the front axle offset as for as you can legally move it to the right, the drag lenght becomes the limiting factor. Take a look at a beast car at the left front. The is no room to steel the car on that side.

1 member likes this post: buck2
2/18/10, 10:37 AM   #7
9racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnall View Post
When the drag link is on the left side of the car (dirt) the left front wheel will rub the drag link when you turn to the left...doesn't really take very much wheel input to make it rub. once that happens, the LF tire stops rolling, effectively applying a brake to it. Also, when it hits, the wheels really can't be turned any farther left. On dirt you don't have to turn left very hard so having the drag link on the left lets you REALLY crank the front tires to the right, dang near fold them over if you need to, to negotiate being sideways.

Conversly, on pavement, if you have to turn right very far you are in trouble anyway so having the drag link on the right allows you to turn the wheels very far to the left without anything binding up.

I have Zero asphalt experience beyond karts but i have been told that the right hand steering on pavement gives the driver a better feel of the right front and makes the bump steer characteristics more positive for pavement handling.
Couldnt have been put any better, about the "FEEL" of the car.. Much more response out of it.. and im sure the quote above this one has some truth of wheel rubbing your steering arm.. and depends how long it goes on for, but i ran and upright mini with left hand steering 1 time at fortwayne indoor show.. and the wheel actually had the power to spin the rod right off the hyme.. And got a really nasty surprise wheels snapped right and crushed the wall full throttle.. not fun..

4/4/10, 10:17 PM   #8
SteveB31

Well, here is a question. Lets ask the same question for DIRT. I have an upright mini sprint that is right hand steer. I have run it 5 years. Only run dirt. I am building another car that is an identical chassis, except it is left hand steer. Which is better and why? What should I expect as a difference? Steve B in Colo

4/21/10, 9:19 PM   #9
Joltin Joe

IN A NUT SHELL

on pavement you get a more positive feel on the right front with a right hand steering virus a left hand steering. As you get less tie rod flex(toe out/bump steer) with right hand steering.
Last edited by Joltin Joe; 4/21/10 at 9:23 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Steering - LH vs RH for pavement