IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Terre Haute Action Track
5/6/10, 9:24 PM   #1
Terre Haute Action Track
terrehautian

Let me preface by saying a few things. A track with racing is better then a track with no racing. Also, when Mike King took over promoting, I was excited, even volunteered time to help out to get the track ready.

Now that that is out of the way, I am very disappointed in this season schedule. Four races: two in May, one in July and one in Sept. To me, for such a historic track, that is the worst schedule. Even worse is that only half on a weekend.

I realize that weekly racing won't work on such a big track there. Even twice a month races might not work with so many weekly tracks. But why not have some sort of race atleast once a month.

If there isn't more races next season, I am ready to see someone else try to promote the track. A active track is better then an inactive track.

Also, bringing "extras" such as Robosaurus doesn't exactly entertain me anymore. I know it will be great for kids.

One thing I would like to see, but would require a major time and money investment is a major concert after the racing is over. I am not talking about some local band up on the scores stand between races. A full blown concert that has quality sound and a quality stage from a well known regional or national band/singer. I realize this will increase costs, but if you bring in Brad Paisley or Zac Brown band and charge a full concert price, people will come and stay for the concert.

I plan on going to some sprint car races, but probably won't be at the Action track this year. Probably head to the burg a few times, LPS, and TSS.

I am done now.
Last edited by terrehautian; 5/6/10 at 9:26 PM.

1 member likes this post: SHORTBUS
5/6/10, 9:57 PM   #2
Re: Terre Haute Action Track
PAW

Tell us what you really think. AMEN

5/6/10, 10:18 PM   #3
Al Pierce

Race Count This Year: 49
Race Count Last Year: 43

Well, I don't know anything about Robosaurus, but if the feds would make terrorists listen to the band that played at THAT last year they wouldn't have to use waterboarding. I'd even confess to get them to stop. Having said that, I agree that 4 races is not much of a schedule. What's the deal with Silver Crown? It's on USAC's sked but not the track's. Did I miss something?

5/6/10, 10:23 PM   #4
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pierce View Post
Well, I don't know anything about Robosaurus, but if the feds would make terrorists listen to the band that played at THAT last year they wouldn't have to use waterboarding. I'd even confess to get them to stop. Having said that, I agree that 4 races is not much of a schedule. What's the deal with Silver Crown? It's on USAC's sked but not the track's. Did I miss something?
Al,

I asked that very question about 2 months ago. Spridge replied that it was a go and that it would be announced shortly. I wondered then as I am now, if anyone notified Mike King. The silence is deafening. USAC, THAT, anyone?????????????????????????

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

5/6/10, 10:24 PM   #5
terrehautian

AS you can tell, I am not getting into the track much this year, so the SC race I don't know much about.

5/6/10, 10:32 PM   #6
hoosier sprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrehautian View Post
Let me preface by saying a few things. A track with racing is better then a track with no racing. Also, when Mike King took over promoting, I was excited, even volunteered time to help out to get the track ready.

Now that that is out of the way, I am very disappointed in this season schedule. Four races: two in May, one in July and one in Sept. To me, for such a historic track, that is the worst schedule. Even worse is that only half on a weekend.

I realize that weekly racing won't work on such a big track there. Even twice a month races might not work with so many weekly tracks. But why not have some sort of race atleast once a month.

If there isn't more races next season, I am ready to see someone else try to promote the track. A active track is better then an inactive track.

Also, bringing "extras" such as Robosaurus doesn't exactly entertain me anymore. I know it will be great for kids.

One thing I would like to see, but would require a major time and money investment is a major concert after the racing is over. I am not talking about some local band up on the scores stand between races. A full blown concert that has quality sound and a quality stage from a well known regional or national band/singer. I realize this will increase costs, but if you bring in Brad Paisley or Zac Brown band and charge a full concert price, people will come and stay for the concert.

I plan on going to some sprint car races, but probably won't be at the Action track this year. Probably head to the burg a few times, LPS, and TSS.

I am done now.
So let me get this straight. You're bitchin about the schedule, but not going to support any of the races on the schedule? When was the last time you promoted a race? I'm sure Mike would love to have more, but for whatever reason, couldn't make it happen.

5/6/10, 10:40 PM   #7
terrehautian

I might be able to make it to the 9/11 show. The 15th of May, I already have plans that I have paid for. The two others are on weekdays and I am working (using vacation time on mission trips with church and other planned trips) (Used 6 vacation days so far, will be going back to NOLA with church again in August {5 more days} plus I am taking a day off in June. Then I will have 3 spare days left and I want to have them for an {at this point} unplanned winter cabin fever trips).
Last edited by terrehautian; 5/6/10 at 10:45 PM.

5/7/10, 12:42 AM   #8
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
Al,

I asked that very question about 2 months ago. Spridge replied that it was a go and that it would be announced shortly. I wondered then as I am now, if anyone notified Mike King. The silence is deafening. USAC, THAT, anyone?????????????????????????
Mike,

Nicole King said she didn't know why USAC had the Silver Crown race on their schedule. There are only four races and she said they aren't printing tickets this year. I always keep the same reserved seats; pick them up and pay on race day. They want me to buy a season ticket, but with their propensity to be rained out, I'm not willing to do that as I have quite a busy year ahead and there is the possibility of a conflict with potential rain dates.

5/7/10, 8:35 AM   #9
illinisprintfan

Yes, 4 races isn't nearly enough, but I remember a few years ago when it looked like THAT was all but done. The idea of driving past the place where the action track is and seeing a Home Depot or strip mall was enough to make me sick. Weather permitting, I'll be there the 15th and try to make all 4 shows. If we don't support the 4 shows this year, who is to say there will be any schedule come next year. The SUMAR will be missed big time, hopefully it can come back next year.

5/7/10, 10:53 AM   #10
wingsareforcheaters

I am happy and glad that Terre Haute is open for 4 races. The problem with Terre Haute has more to do with sanctioning bodies. The ASCOC last year was a joke and ended horrifically. The MSCS shows have always been ran on a rain date (hope this year is different) the USAC shows have been very entertaining, and well run (unusual) except for waiting on the sun to go down (and the track dries out) The outlaws want $100,000 guarantee, and i am not sure there is a late model or modified sanctioning body that can have a stand alone event. I will be in the stands for every race except September. I do miss the Sumar and the Hut 100 but I also understand why they aren't happening at Terre Haute this year.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Terre Haute Action Track