IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Looking to kill time during the day @ Gold Crown Nats?
10/5/09, 4:25 PM   #1
Looking to kill time during the day @ Gold Crown Nats?
illiNOISE

For all of you midget fans who also happen to be history buffs, why not make the 10 or so minute trip North this weekend to the Lewis and Clark (Illinois) State Historic Site? The L&C Site commemerates the 1803-1804 winter camp of the Expedition before it headed out of Illinois (though actually, this area was part of the Indiana Territory until 1809) and westward up the Missouri River. This weekend is our annual Flags over an Empire event, but we're open Wednesday thru Sunday (9am-5pm), so feel free to drop in. I'll be volunteering at the info desk on Wednesday afternoon before I head to the track for the practice night, so if you decide to visit us, be sure to sign the guest book.

For those of you with GPS, you can just enter "3500 New Poag Road, Hartford, IL" for the destination. For the rest of us, from the TCS parking lot just turn northbound (right) on ILL-Rt.203. Go a half-mile to the ramp for I-270 Westbound. Continue on I-270 to Northbound ILL-Rt. 3. Follow IL-Rt. 3 north to the stoplight at New Poag Road. Turn left and you're at the L&C Site. (Please keep in mind that you will only be on I-270 for about two miles. If you cross the Chain of Rocks bridge into Missouri, you've gone too far.)

For more into, just call (618)251-5811, or visit us on the web at www.campdubois.com.

Thanks!
Brandon Paul ("illiNOISE")
Volunteer, Lewis and Clark State Historic Site
scorer, Morgan County Speedway
Last edited by illiNOISE; 10/5/09 at 4:34 PM.

1 member likes this post: billwill7
10/5/09, 5:14 PM   #2
Re: Looking to kill time during the day @ Gold Crown Nats?
itsanonwingthing

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 51

And be sure you visit the World's Largest Ketchup Bottle in Collinsville, Ill.

10/6/09, 7:19 AM   #3
Jonr

What about an afternoon ballet?

10/6/09, 8:02 AM   #4
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

I've been told I should go see The Arch. Even better, there are at least 3 Oktoberfests: http://stlouis.about.com/od/topattra...ktoberfest.htm.

10/6/09, 8:38 AM   #5
JackWissmller

You can come out to Metro ST Louis Quarter Midget Association and watch the future stars. Sign Ins at 10am Saturday

10/6/09, 9:15 AM   #6
USAC Developmental

The USAC .25 Midget series will be competing at Gateway International Raceway for their Rd #7 of the "Generation Next" Tour on both Saturday and Sunday. Over 160 .25 Midgets packed the pits for their last event held at Columbus Motor Speedway on Sept 19. It is free to come out and watch the future USAC stars compete.

For those not in the St Louis area the .25 Midget event will be streamed live on USACRacing.com both days.

10/6/09, 10:16 AM   #7
Andrew S. Quinn

I think I will see if I can get a tour of the East Alton Fire Dept while I am out there.

1 member likes this post: billwill7
10/6/09, 11:17 AM   #8
AERO410SCJA

Race Count This Year: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Monahan View Post
I've been told I should go see The Arch. Even better, there are at least 3 Oktoberfests: http://stlouis.about.com/od/topattra...ktoberfest.htm.

Thanks for the tip

10/6/09, 11:46 AM   #9
billwill7

Why not visit FAST EDDIES BON AIRE, ALTON,IL ???...........Just ask any local and they can tell you about the place.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Looking to kill time during the day @ Gold Crown Nats?