IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Larson pass dirty on Leary?
8/24/20, 2:48 PM   #11
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Upon further review....I can see why Leary wasn’t too pleased. The video shows how Larson cut him off and Leary did a great job avoiding a crash. Call it what you want. Hope to see them both go at it again.

2 members like this post: billw, TQ97
8/24/20, 4:42 PM   #12
Re: Larson pass dirty on Leary?
Puppy

It was an odd looking maneuver, wasn't sure if it was a mistake of some sort or what....

8/24/20, 4:56 PM   #13
Will Shunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
It was an odd looking maneuver, wasn't sure if it was a mistake of some sort or what....
Having watched many years of dry slick, rubber down wing racing here in Ohio, the move was familiar to my eyes. Drive deep on the outside, clear, turn down (chop), and block the inside car's momentum. Inside driver has 2 choices...break and steer away or run over the outside driver chopping you, taking both out. CJ took the correct choice. He simply could not retaliate. Familiar move. Fair move? In the eye of the beholder.

3 members like this post: erich45, JustAddDirt69, spicoli
8/24/20, 5:10 PM   #14
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Shunk View Post
Having watched many years of dry slick, rubber down wing racing here in Ohio, the move was familiar to my eyes. Drive deep on the outside, clear, turn down (chop), and block the inside car's momentum. Inside driver has 2 choices...break and steer away or run over the outside driver chopping you, taking both out. CJ took the correct choice. He simply could not retaliate. Familiar move. Fair move? In the eye of the beholder.
If you watch the highlights from Flo they show Sunshine passing Leary on a restarts basically the exact same way.

The difference was Larson broke it loose sooner (did he need to scrub more speed 9r was it to get a reaction from CJ?) and (my belief) being later in the race CJ stayed in it deeper into the corner instead of conceding the corner. Both differences ended up with a much tighter and exciting result... In which CJ eventually had to bail and get out of shape to avoid the wreck.

2 members like this post: erich45, Will Shunk
8/24/20, 5:50 PM   #15
jonboat15

I think it was a chop job but those happen all the time anymore its part of racing just like slide jobs, it was aggressive, I don't about dirty though.

2 members like this post: Chase Hightower, JustAddDirt69
8/24/20, 6:25 PM   #16
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 22

I thought it was awesome balls up move by Larson especially since it was on Leary and he got it to stick and turn. Knew Leary wasn’t going to be happy ( he never is ). Just glad Leary had some sense to let up a little bit and not crash both cars. Really didn’t think his brakes were gonna hold up as hard as Leary was running. Them rotors were glowing!!

5 members like this post: jim goerge, JustAddDirt69, luckybuc97, oppweld, spicoli
8/24/20, 6:53 PM   #17
kendirt

Leary had 31 laps to get him back right?

8/24/20, 7:20 PM   #18
Chase Hightower

Is t clean passes and not making contact part of racing though? I’m not being a smart aww about it, please don’t take it that way. I thought it was clean and just a gutsy move. He was obviously faster. JMO.

2 members like this post: luckybuc97, oppweld
8/24/20, 7:45 PM   #19
dsc1600

Larson has been doing this all year in winged sprints including 2 incidents at Knoxville recently. To be fair he has gotten used up just as much the last couple of weeks and never complains. He’s very gifted but also an extremely smart racer which is basically unbeatable these days no matter what he runs.

8/24/20, 8:05 PM   #20
Adolph

Race Count This Year: 27
Race Count Last Year: 27,27,40,28,69

Next time just hit him instead of braking.

4 members like this post: Kinser11, motorhead748, progressive22, sw1911
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Larson pass dirty on Leary?