IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Possibly looking at starting a spec engine Sprint division..
1/26/15, 1:01 AM   #11
KMS2683

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintracer82 View Post
My two biggest expenses its diesel fuel for the truck and tires for the car. Too many people are convinced that engines and shocks are what's wrong with racing. The price of everything has went up and the pay out hasn't changed. The answer is not cheap under horse powered engines racing for $500 to win and $100 to start. I spent the same amount to race every night running my 360 as it did my 410.
Exactly!!!! We run a 360 and engine is one of our lower costs. We can spend $400 to $500 in tires a race.

We have a winged 305 class starting in our area as a "cost savings" class and a couple drivers I talked with are not running the races that are an hour away due to travel costs, so the $7,000 engine didnt make much difference.

Motors are really only an issue at the national level.

3 members like this post: Kellen Conover, spicoli, sprintracer82
1/26/15, 11:48 AM   #12
Re: Possibly looking at starting a spec engine Sprint divisi
racerX

I hear so this is 3rd party that the 6R racing group are behind this concept. Also Larry Kemp that has alot of knowledge on Create motors is behind this also along with Rich Farmer and Joe Gearte. Hear are my thought on this looking forward.I am glad to see they are giving it some time to make sure it is the best it can be before saying" hey we got this idea and we are going to start this in 2 months" Also i think open sprint racing is still good but 15 years ago you had 40 cars show for a weekly show now maybe 24-25. I hope that maybe instead of someone quiting they just step down and keep enjoying there hobby. I believe they are shooting for a $5000-$5500 bolt in you roller car and go race. I would hope to control cost have No Carbon, No Ti, Max shock price rule of $200 per shock and if a manufacture want or can make it adjustablefor that it is that companies advantage. No Cockpit adjustments ( including wing if the would ever chose to run them) stay on 3/8 mile tracks or smaller. and maybe a $6000 engine claim. Just some thoughts.

2 members like this post: kcarm92, nathans1012
1/26/15, 12:42 PM   #13
DAD

We got all excited about the possibility of a spec 305 sprint car series in the neighborhood. Then we visit AJ and look at a Sprint car and I say to myself>>>Boy that thing is sure big>>>will it fit into our shop and would we have room to work on it>>>we don't know of 2 or 3 reliable people that could or would help move that thing around the pits and race track>>>how much fuel did you say.

Come to think of it this little midget is just right>>>it might be a bit cramped for Doug but we can make it to the track without help>>>push it around with just one of us>>> and drive it right to the starting shoot and then drive it right out on the race track and on a quarter mile track we are just as fast and exciting.

We are "Living the life of Riley" and sometimes don't realize it.

Honest Dad himself

2 members like this post: Ken Bonnema, Xflagman
1/26/15, 12:59 PM   #14
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerX View Post
I hear so this is 3rd party that the 6R racing group are behind this concept. Also Larry Kemp that has alot of knowledge on Create motors is behind this also along with Rich Farmer and Joe Gearte. Hear are my thought on this looking forward.I am glad to see they are giving it some time to make sure it is the best it can be before saying" hey we got this idea and we are going to start this in 2 months" Also i think open sprint racing is still good but 15 years ago you had 40 cars show for a weekly show now maybe 24-25. I hope that maybe instead of someone quiting they just step down and keep enjoying there hobby. I believe they are shooting for a $5000-$5500 bolt in you roller car and go race. I would hope to control cost have No Carbon, No Ti, Max shock price rule of $200 per shock and if a manufacture want or can make it adjustablefor that it is that companies advantage. No Cockpit adjustments ( including wing if the would ever chose to run them) stay on 3/8 mile tracks or smaller. and maybe a $6000 engine claim. Just some thoughts.
This is kind if what I was trying to say in the original post but wasn't exactly sure how to word it do I just posted what they had said about the engine. Also your correct it was said at the banquet that Gaerte and Mr.Kemp are helping a lot behind this.

Like I said hope they can get the right and it works out.

1/26/15, 1:32 PM   #15
okienonwingfan

Jim you are correct on that. I ran in the WOW series last year and going to run this year as well. I built my motor in my buddies garage. Motor is almost stock. We run the EQ Imca heads, 5.7 rods, flattop pistons, stock weight crank, Hyd cam vacuum rule of a min of 12lbs at 1200 rpm's. These motors will not turn anything over 7500 and if you do turn in more than that your are probably going to call up your engine guy. We have a guy in the series ran the same motor for about three years, last year was the third year, and he finished third in points. I would not be surprised to see 25 to 30 cars at some point this year. I am on a very limited budget but I was able to make the majority of the races last year due to the way the series is set up. If you would like to check out our webpage it is http://www.winglessoklahomawarriors.com/. Most of us are either older guys that have raced forever and still want to race but do not want to spend the money for ASCS or guys like me that are out there for fun and do not have any plans going to ASCS.
Last edited by okienonwingfan; 1/26/15 at 1:36 PM.

3 members like this post: Jim Gardner, nathans1012, PJ Wright
1/26/15, 2:24 PM   #16
copper14

I just called behlings in Wisconsin. they provide all parts to put a crate 604 into a sprint car. I was told the whole package with a new 604 was about 7000 dollars. not bad. if all cars have the same hp racing will still be good. behlings phone is 1 262 783 7474.i know at grundy speedway in morris ill the national midget class is shrinking but the sportsman midget class started years ago by Laverne spencer and others is growing. cg

1/26/15, 6:36 PM   #17
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

If they go a head with this down the road I hope it's a Non-Wing class but either way I think this could be a good thing if they get it right with the couple of cars they are building for demonstration. Maybe a stepping stone to the bigger motor 410 class or just a cheaper alternative to he 410's. Would be great if this ended up being a way to help put money back in the racers teams pockets again and they get a good field of cars down the road when this class is fully developed with a smart and fair set of rules

1 member likes this post: racerX
1/26/15, 7:04 PM   #18
CTtoPA

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 4

Whatever you implement, make sure it's easy to tech. Flat top pistons, cam timing, etc. The 602 crate modifieds in NY state are a mess because guys are screwing with them and not enough tech is being done.

1/26/15, 7:34 PM   #19
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I've never really got the whole "BUDGET CLASS" concept.
Modifieds were a budget class, Now you got three different classes of mods
ASCS, NRA etc were all 360 budget class. Now a motor will cost as much as 410s.

You can have a Econo class alone by having a low purse. 4-600 to win and your not going to have USAC guys or even most track champions showing up knowing they coudn't even break even by winning.

Leave the budget up to the racer. If they buy a sprint an can only put a 5g motor in it and run a RR that would last ten races. Thats where they'll run Against others in the same boat. If so happens they stumble into some sponsorships or $$$ They can buy the 15-50g motor and go race with USAC if they want.

Pretty much every racer I know that doesn't have a lot of sponsorship or $$ behind them, Runs what they can afford and where and how often that they can afford to do it.

Not saying something that could draw and create new racers is bad if in fact what this does is that.
But making another class isn't any kind of a solution IMHO. Run NW Racesaver.. That way you can draw in and have a big race or two, while the majority of the season is your regulars and beginners.

1/26/15, 10:31 PM   #20
okienonwingfan

Charles we run for 400 to win 100 to make the A. Here in in Oklahoma we are the only non wing series. The other sprints in the state are all winged cars. The two other series in the state are OCRS and ASCS and those motors are your 15 to 50 grand motors. That is why our series is growing. Those guys that can build a cheaper motor and want to race a car still can. They do not have to watch from the stands.
Last edited by okienonwingfan; 1/27/15 at 1:13 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Possibly looking at starting a spec engine Sprint division..