IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Joe Spiker runs Putnamville now
7/5/09, 10:21 AM   #101
Re: Joe Spiker runs Putnamville now
john3g

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpfldMile View Post
I think everyone is happy about LPS. It is just that Danville was really a bright spot this year and especially for the Illinois guys. If they continue to run sprints, and I hope they do, no other night will work out. They might be able to run Fridays, but that will undoubtedly be the demise of Jacksonville. If they wanted to run Sundays, the proximity to Kokomo would either split the field, or not draw enough cars. I wish they would just run LPS on Sundays, but I guess the Sat. night tradition is not going to allow that to happen. There is a zero percent chance that I will drive to Danville to watch modifieds.
Now this is just my opinion..but I think a sunday show would go over good.The reason I feel that way is because the cars in the middle to west side of the state(Indiana) cant make it to Kokomo due to work on monday and there is a ton of Illinios cars just looking for somewhere to race so yeah I think Sunday would work out. Oh and with the purse that he pays I think it would be tough to pass up D'ville if you live remotely close.I know the mods would be there for sure..Now that being said a guy might have to cut a class or two so that the race is over as close to 9 as possible..Again just my thinking out loud..
Another thought...A friday night deal would work out too now that I think about it and I sure wouldn't worry about B'town..Your a half a state away...I dunno, gonna be interesting...
Last edited by john3g; 7/5/09 at 10:25 AM.

7/5/09, 10:31 AM   #102
SpfldMile

I just read the info on the LPS website, it says that they have to run Saturdays according to the lease. So much for that idea.

7/5/09, 10:42 AM   #103
john3g

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpfldMile View Post
I just read the info on the LPS website, it says that they have to run Saturdays according to the lease. So much for that idea.
Thats a shame.I remember going to P'ville with my dad every Friday night and having a great field of cars..I just hope what ever night they decide to run D'ville on the sprint cars will be the headline...I think that they have proven themselves in Eastern Illinios.
Last edited by john3g; 7/5/09 at 10:46 AM.

1 member likes this post: SpfldMile
7/5/09, 11:02 AM   #104
bigq11

I also remember going to Putnamville on Friday nights. I also remember that this was during a time when Bloomington was running on Sunday night.

7/5/09, 11:30 AM   #105
mortboyz

I'm guessing that Starlene has never been threatened with arrest for talking to friends in the parkin lot at LPS or forced to take a breathilizer test while doing the same, or had to wade through piss in the john, or threatened to have her vehicle towed for parking where she was told by track personnel.

I personally haven't been back to Rutnamville since USAC quit going there. Thanks to Mr. Spiker, I look forward to returning to one of my favorite tracks, where I've seen some great races over the years.

7/5/09, 11:48 AM   #106
john3g

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortboyz View Post
I'm guessing that Starlene has never been threatened with arrest for talking to friends in the parkin lot at LPS or forced to take a breathilizer test while doing the same, or had to wade through piss in the john, or threatened to have her vehicle towed for parking where she was told by track personnel.

I personally haven't been back to Rutnamville since USAC quit going there. Thanks to Mr. Spiker, I look forward to returning to one of my favorite tracks, where I've seen some great races over the years.
I'm with ya!!!! I for see BIG changes comming to "THE NEW LINCOLN PARK SPEEDWAY"!! Sounds good don't it..I was just told August 1st is the new "GRAND REOPENING" can anyone confirm this??This is a GREAT DAY for all race fans and competitors alike...Again "Ding dong,Ding dong,DA is finally gone"!! LET THE NEW ERA BEGIN!!!:2: Can you tell I'm bored...Stinking rain..

7/5/09, 4:20 PM   #107
zeroracer

Danville was a sunday night track for a long time before now from what I remember, I wouldnt be suprised to see them go back to it

7/5/09, 4:40 PM   #108
illiniopenwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3g View Post
Now this is just my opinion..but I think a sunday show would go over good.The reason I feel that way is because the cars in the middle to west side of the state(Indiana) cant make it to Kokomo due to work on monday and there is a ton of Illinios cars just looking for somewhere to race so yeah I think Sunday would work out. Oh and with the purse that he pays I think it would be tough to pass up D'ville if you live remotely close.I know the mods would be there for sure..Now that being said a guy might have to cut a class or two so that the race is over as close to 9 as possible..Again just my thinking out loud..
Another thought...A friday night deal would work out too now that I think about it and I sure wouldn't worry about B'town..Your a half a state away...I dunno, gonna be interesting...

Joe Spiker definitely has a bunch of things to consider when it comes to the future schedule for VCS. You were definitely right when it comes to getting the fans out of there at a decent time when it comes to racing on a Sunday night. Wonder if Spiker and VCS could get SPRINTS, LATE MODELS, AND MODIFIEDS on a Sunday night card. Those 3 classes would easily be worth $10-12 admission. A UMP license perhaps might draw in the late models and modifieds as well. Wonder what the chances are of becoming UMP sanctioned?

My understanding is that he doesn't want to try to compete against Gas City and Bloomington on Friday nights if he tries to keep a sprint class at VCS. That being said, it looks like Sunday late afternoons and evenings might be the direction where things are headed.

The key to me here is getting people home early, and keeping the show moving along.

7/5/09, 4:42 PM   #109
Vukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortboyz View Post
Wasn't that on Fan Appreciation Night?

7/5/09, 5:04 PM   #110
T&A Racing

I commend Spiker for stepping up and going for what he wants to do no matter what happens. He is doing something he wants and believes in. We can debate all we want on what would be best for the sport as a whole or for our own personal desires. There are so many veiws on this topic some personal. All VALID, to the person/s giving them.

However, one thing I have realized is whatever will happen...will happen, no matter what we think or do. Does our opinion matter sometimes. Yes!

But you can't please everyone.

So, in the end...whatever happens we will all have to accept it weather we want to or not. That is pretty much life.

I don't blame anyone for selling there ideas. At one time, I was all for Montpelier to run sprints. But the time was and still isn't right for it and so be it.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Joe Spiker runs Putnamville now