IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indy 500 " lock-ins" !?!?!
4/26/19, 11:53 PM   #11
GYATK94

Race Count This Year: 36
Race Count Last Year: 34

Last edited by GYATK94; 2/22/23 at 11:52 AM.

4/27/19, 12:51 AM   #12
Re: Indy 500 " lock-ins" !?!?!
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by duel View Post
Oh the hypocrisy. Isn't this what caused the US 500 at mis? Half the field crashed before the green after we were told they had the best drivers in the world. 70 plus entries at Indy that year, good crowd and race. I live 15 miles from mis and was offered as many tickets free as I wanted up to 50. I was friends with the director of competition of cart. He lost his job when they had to cancel the Texas cart show that one year. Short lived job but paid him well. I have come to terms with myself that cart won in the end. They got to the family and Tony was ousted. Same group of cart people now running the show. Mostly road and street courses with no whining of Indy just the other 2 high speed ovals.
the 96 500 was the 2nd one I got to go too...it was awesome...the whole years of the "original" IRL was to me actly. But ya, there was an earlier caution at Indy, and word spread thru the 500 stands that those "best of the best" had wrecked up there! Created a nice buzz! This was b4 EVERYONE had cell phones...I think one guy was getting updates or even had a radio. It was just a cool day (became a big Buddy Lazier fan! Honestly! lol. He drove the Hemelgarn car, so why not!) - crowd really roared late for Robert Guerrero, I recall. - It's all too bad Tony, Hamilton, Boat, Beechler, etc never won the 500, but they really only had limited years, and had other success along the way. I'm NOT at terms (lol) but do enjoy Indy racing, so follow what it as I can. Still miss the original (stated) intent, but I'm glad I got to see those guys (and more) run Indycars...b4 1995, I doubted too many SC@M guys ever would...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1 member likes this post: duel
4/27/19, 7:11 AM   #13
HDINDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYATK94 View Post
Yeah and the darn dirt track in turn three that drew one of the largest USAC midget car counts ever. The track showed no respect at all to that patch of grass traditionally occupying that space.

Eleven rows of three equalling thirty three cars, 200 laps totaling 500 miles and the goose bump inspiring pre race ceremonies are all the tradition I require. Last I checked, we’ve still got all three.
The Midget track is awesome,I didn't list it as things that hurt the tradition of 16th st. I remember a time when those same Midget drivers would be filling the field of 33. keeping the thread on topic , qualifying and bump day should be like the old day's and only the fastest 33 should take the green. When all you have is big teams left than every rule can be bought and changed.

2 members like this post: duel, flagboy55
4/27/19, 8:04 AM   #14
Vookie

The golf course was built decades ago,they raced motorcycles at IMS in 1909.
https://www.firstsuperspeedway.com/a...s-preparations
Last edited by Vookie; 4/27/19 at 8:07 AM.

4/27/19, 8:15 AM   #15
Vookie

It was great to see Racin Gardner start the 500 in 1996.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Indianapolis_500

1 member likes this post: Pat O'Connor Fan
4/27/19, 8:55 AM   #16
BrentTFunk

More hillbillification. All series do provisionals now. Probably won't make much difference. I just hope this doesn't lead to a chase, double file restarts, and stage racing.

4/27/19, 9:15 AM   #17
The Old Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vookie View Post
It was great to see Racin Gardner start the 500 in 1996.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Indianapolis_500
Yeah, how about Vicnenzo Sopherso who never raced on an oval or made a pit stop starting on the pole! That is when I realized the IRL dream of returning the Indy 500 to American open wheel drivers was just that. A dream.

1 member likes this post: duel
4/27/19, 11:22 AM   #18
Bad Dad 54

Racing should be about racing, & racing all season long, that NAPCAR Chase junk has ruined that series along w/ Provisionals, Lucky Dog & whatever else they've cooked up to make money. Racing is go fast or go home for me, why I stick w/ short tracks

4 members like this post: 2rock21, Bostonian, duel, The Old Coyote
4/27/19, 1:10 PM   #19
ISF

No one here will be surprised if this nonsense becomes reality. Penske will look out for his interests (as we all would do) and will no doubt influence most other owners, except maybe Foyt. No one amasses a billion and a half, like Penske has, without covering their ass whenever possible. It's now up to Indycar and IMS to resist pressure. They've stayed true to tradition for the most part except for the funky qualifying procedure. I hope they don't knuckle under.

3 members like this post: Bostonian, dirt330, duel
4/27/19, 6:03 PM   #20
Vookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coyote View Post
Yeah, how about Vicnenzo Sopherso who never raced on an oval or made a pit stop starting on the pole! That is when I realized the IRL dream of returning the Indy 500 to American open wheel drivers was just that. A dream.
Arie Luyendyk won the pole and the 500 that year.
The front row was Luyendyk,Tony Stewart and Sospiri.

2 members like this post: Pat O'Connor Fan, wright59
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indy 500 " lock-ins" !?!?!