IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 1/4 mile set up
11/12/14, 6:29 AM   #1
1/4 mile set up
jyoung8j

Hey guys new to the mini sprint scene.. I have a bailey 4 bar car that im looking for some detailed help on a setup for 1/4 mile semi banked track. Car has suzuki 1000cc and driver is 185-190.. Car used to run at this track and was very fast but driver was experienced and heavier.. Just wanna make sure everything is in check when i start putting it all back together.. All the detail u can give me will b helpfull from gear stagger bars ride heights shocks wing angle etc.. ive looked on many sites just want someones real life experience. thanks j

11/12/14, 8:57 AM   #2
bobbyg45

Goto hyperracing.com and goto setup they have some good base setup for wing and non wing

11/13/14, 12:36 AM   #3
PatrickMead#13

Are you running winged or non wing? That'll determine many things.

11/13/14, 5:11 AM   #4
Re: 1/4 mile set up
jyoung8j

sorry, this is a winged car.. Also has a stock suzuki 1000 on gas..

11/13/14, 5:14 AM   #5
jyoung8j

Ive read on hyper and they have alot of good research documents.. However i like real experience from racers.. Some cars work different then other so if someone can say hey those cars love stiff bars or alot of lr weight that would be better.. I do like hyper cars tho after reading theyre page lol

11/13/14, 10:12 AM   #6
DAD

j

Don't worry about the weight, it ain't that big of a deal. If you are new to racing and it sounds like you are, set up is not too high on your list of priorities. What you need more than anything is lots and lots of seat time. No two drivers work the same way so no set up is right for all drivers. Some like their car loose and some like their car tight. For a guy starting out tight is probably a better set up, it is easier to back out and catch up with a push than it is to try to catch up with a rear end that is trying to pass you on the outside.

The guy you bought the car from is the guy I would ask for advice, you are his customer and I bet he would like to keep you happy. Nothing worse than somebody bad mouthing you all the time. Please don't expect to win your first race or even try to win the darned thing, stay out there run a consistent line and don't change your line every lap, stay cool and don't bobble the first time somebody stick their nose beside you going quite a bit faster than you, have fun and work on SEAT TIME>>SEAT TIME>>SEAT TIME!!!!

Honest Dad himself

11/13/14, 7:39 PM   #7
jyoung8j

Ok guess the new to mini sprints is little different for me...meaning I've never been in one with 1000cc.. I've been in race cars from age of 9.. I ran quarter midgets then 270 micros then 600.. then took yrs off for school then got into a dirt modified then more yrs off and bought a pavement modified and didn't like it so had a guy drive for me.. now I work on a pavement team and decided while not racing with him I wanna have little fun myself.. guess I'm new cuz haven't been in a 1000 and haven't drove in a race in 18yrs..lol but as far as driving experience and knowledge on wht does what I kno how to adjust cars and wht all tht is.. I dnt expect to win but think after mth or so I should b a top 5 guy..j

2 members like this post: bn kleen, TQ29m
11/13/14, 8:01 PM   #8
DAD

j

You should love 1000cc Midgets. They are probably faster than any of your other race cars you have been in. They set up and work better than the Micro's almost identical to a Midget. The guy you bought it is your best adviser, my next suggestion would be the horse himself Floyd Bailey, He know his cars. You are the only guy that know what you have to have so get a baseline and work from their.

By the way where will you be racing? If you get in Indiana look us up. Good Luck, you should have a ball, but give your self a gradual learning curve, These things are a little different than what you have raced in the past.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: bowbuild
11/13/14, 8:22 PM   #9
bobby01

J
You said in your opening post that the car was very fast so why are you going to change it before you even raced it? The best advice anyone can give you is only change one thing and only one thing at a time. When it comes to different weight of drivers, you might want to raise or lower ride heights.Just remember that spring rates are constant, no matter how much you wind or compress the bars or coil springs.
Bobby Layne
2014 Midwest Lightning Sprint Champion

2 members like this post: DAD, oldfan49
11/13/14, 8:56 PM   #10
DAD

Bobby

You still got DU Quoin on your scheduled on your calender?

Honest Dad himself

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 1/4 mile set up