IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tri-State Speedway surface
6/8/22, 9:11 AM   #11
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Time for teams to go back to mini vans and tiny open trailers! Unfortunately, the average fans just can’t afford to go anymore. My uncle went to granite city, Bloomington and Lawrenceburg but couldn’t afford another night and 4 hours out of the way for Haubstadt as much as he would have liked to. People are going to pick and choose so none of the races will have as gods a crowds as what they had in the last 5 years. If this comes as a surprise to you, I guess you don’t remember the path it was on from 2008-2016.

7 members like this post: chrismattlin, jdull99, PIT CART, racenut69, skids59, sw1911, tirespinner
6/8/22, 9:44 AM   #12
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDuBois View Post
With the price of gas and diesel, we will see fewer racing fans. Mostly at the tracks not real close to a bigger city like Tri-state. I see tracks like Lincoln Park and Bloomington getting mostly local people. Then there are the racers and some of their haulers only get 5 miles per gal., most racers only race for the fun of it and when it costs too much to have fun they will stay at home or just race less. The way the price of fuel is going up we will see tracks closing before long as some tracks will have to dig into their pockets to pay the purse. I don't know of any business that will keep operating when they are open if they lose money every time, they are open. I think by Fall the way fuel is raising lots of tracks will be closed. Most Americans are not stupid as they know what caused of this high-priced fuel, it is the ones now in charge of America. As I remember back when ***** lost the ******** by fraud, he had gas down to almost $2 per gal.

The price of fuel is a complex worldwide problem primarily about speculation in the commodity market, pent-up demand, and supply.

6/8/22, 10:04 AM   #13
Re: Tri-State Speedway surface
sw1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
The price of fuel is a complex worldwide problem primarily about speculation in the commodity market, pent-up demand, and supply.
And government policy has a direct impact on supply.

6/8/22, 10:57 AM   #14
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

JJ Hughes on Facebook put out a graph of a cost of one night of racing. In fact he was very generous on actual cost, Not including cost of a replacement nerf, rebuilding a pump. oil and rear end gear oil changes and that's a track within one hundred miles of home. Also feel like this was last months prices. But it compared cost vs payout and given only one set of rear tires was used up. They had to finish third to break even for a regular show. They had to win to do the same if more than two were used up. And all with the finish of putting the car back in the trailer with no significant damage

He continues that they race for fun and family time and yes, try to run up front with the best they can afford. They've succeeded

If you have facebook, I suggest you check it out. It doesn't include what a USAC team pays to run, Probably at least three engines with one always being freshened, carbon fiber bodys and titanium bolts. JJ and all teams need to be commended for putting on a show for us. I've seen more sprint car racers leave the sport before they ever really got started. Help them when you can. A pit pass, t shirt purchase. donation towards a tire helps. Even just letting them know you're a fan helps make it worth it to them
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 6/8/22 at 11:00 AM.

6/8/22, 11:09 AM   #15
Charles Nungester

Please stop all the political B.S on both sides. B&## on a RACING CHAT isn't going to solve it. My guess is most doing so have never called their reps or senators offices and sent the message to the only place it counts?

We all know the problems going on, Have our own opinion of cause and fixes. But bringing each other down, arguing over the solution only makes RACING which I enjoy. (it's one of my few outs from life problems) LESS ENJOYABLE.

I can still afford to go, But less often and closer to home. The later is mostly due to parent aging but now price is effecting that too.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 6/8/22 at 11:12 AM.

5 members like this post: cowboyhar69, erich45, oldfan49, racenut69, Tom23
6/8/22, 11:11 AM   #16
dsc1600

Any chance the slide or die ridiculousness going on with midget racing is causing folks to lose interest? Also Sunday night racing is usually not as well attended given it’s a work night.

6 members like this post: cowboyhar69, Dougherty20, PIT CART, racenut69, tirespinner, TQ97
6/8/22, 11:19 AM   #17
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
Any chance the slide or die ridiculousness going on with midget racing is causing folks to lose interest? Also Sunday night racing is usually not as well attended given it’s a work night.

Midget week has always been less supported than sprint week 2020 was a bit of exception with it being the first week of fifty percent attendance allowed and both fans and racers were anxious to get out. If i remember right the participants were limited to like 40 midgets and 35 sprints.

And yes, I bet the tearing stuff up is why a lot of teams are not there, some are picking certain tracks to run at, and quite honestly, The pay sucks vs a dozen other races that some teams just choose to hold out to run them. BC39, Turkey Night, Husets, Chili Bowl (Yeah the pay sucks there except the top five) Hangtown and a few others.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 6/8/22 at 11:27 AM.

6/8/22, 11:37 AM   #18
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1911 View Post
And government policy has a direct impact on supply.
It actually lowered the price of a barrel of oil. Oil companies are making a killing right now. Check their record profits.

7 members like this post: fish, oldfan49, PIT CART, ronmil, SoIllSprinter, spankytoo, tirespinner
6/8/22, 11:39 AM   #19
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
I found guys like KO working the bottom and Jay Drake and Ricky Shelton running the top (97/98 Pepsi Nationals) and Kevin Doty, Cory Kruseman, and Dan Boorse's epic battle at Tulsa in 2003 (where they all gave eachother room but ran hard!); over what's offered these days...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1 member likes this post: Hustlin-Hoosier
6/8/22, 11:43 AM   #20
sw1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
It actually lowered the price of a barrel of oil. Oil companies are making a killing right now. Check their record profits.
All other things being equal, inflation causes record profit year after year after year.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tri-State Speedway surface