IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg Speedway May 30th World of Outlaws!
5/31/22, 1:15 PM   #21
DirtTrackTherapy16J

I go with Funk on this one...I havent watched it yet, dont necessarily need to watch it to comment on this thread but I will watch the replay later. They typically do put on great shows, but USAC nonwing doesnt??? Doesnt even have to be USAC, nonwing doesnt put on good shows too? Not a wing hater by any means, but wing racing isnt the only good racing. As I have said in other post, some of the best racing you can watch right now is Street Stocks in North Central Indiana. There is a group of around 10 give or take a few that are so neck and neck and so competitive and so close in set up and design, they really really get after it. They put on a show. And I'm not calling anyone out with this, not looking for a debate or argument or drama, just going off of one post, but maybe racing doesnt need families to support tracks??? The only reason I enjoy racing is bc my parents took me every Sunday to Kokomo as a kid and we sat on the backstretch with food from Ray's Drive In and drinks from Marsh up until my accident when I was 13 years old. How many men, women, boys, girls, from WoO, AllStars, USAC, BOSS, winged, nonwing, Silver Crown, Sprints, Midgets, Micros, Stock Cars, GoKarts, even Indy and Nascar, you name it, how many started out as little kids and families? How many teams are still family oriented? I see this teenage kid, his siblings, his parents at so many races and this kid brings an entire set of flags and sets up by the flag stand appearing to have a dream of being a Flagman...how many kids look up to alot of these drivers??? Hell I do and I'm 39...YES all tracks and styles of racing will ALWAYS need families!!!! Do I think it's right to charge a 10 year old kid $39 no I dont, but that's not up to me, I dont own the track or promote it or have anything to do with rules or pricing or any of that so no need of wasting my time or energy getting into that subject. Maybe that does keep some families away, but racing or any sport for that matter will always need families especially ones with kids!!!!

3 members like this post: oppweld, PJ Wright, racenut69
5/31/22, 2:02 PM   #22
Re: Lawrenceburg Speedway May 30th World of Outlaws!
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I don't get it. You haven't seen good USAC races? Last night's feature was really good, but it wasn't day and night different than what I usually see.
My buddy, the USAC loyalist!
I prefer wingless, but living on the East Coast, I have to take what i can get....
So I'm gonna quote Duke Ellington (different subject, same idea):"There are 2 kinds of music, good & bad"
Some pretty good wing races lately, like Weikert Memorial at Port Royal!

3 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, oppweld, PIT CART
5/31/22, 2:30 PM   #23
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1911 View Post
I must ask, is there anything USAC could ever do to put on a show like that? Or is that [butt.ugly] wing always going to separate the men from the boys?
IMHO if USAC is well attended car count wise both Midgets and Sprints the show sometimes is every bit as good. There's not dash but the six invert is awesome and with the win to advance in the feature if qualified bad, guys aren't just accepting being in a transfer.

Someone else mentioned it on another board and I don't know for sure if I agree or not, But usac ran a consi to eleminate three cars at THAT. They were lucky to get em on a sunday night. I know it's the rules I don't know what the incentive is. Most have to race with the best before they can beat the best. Seems very few weekly racers want to join. I think tracks should make it a show up points for USAC toward their track championships. And if they make the show they get better than fourth place money than regular show anyway.

WoO is good, but when you add in Larson, Bell, Kahne, Bowman it adds something on top. Sixteenth to second and he legit could have won. The date is the key and Lawrencburg for all the &*$#&@# they've taken over the years took the date and kept it, Grew it. And unless Nascar rains out till monday. Those guys can make it.

Another thing is, They're just too fast for that track, they have to back out at some point, traffic, whatever and the closing speed is increadible.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 5/31/22 at 2:33 PM.

5/31/22, 3:12 PM   #24
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
My buddy, the USAC loyalist!
I prefer wingless, but living on the East Coast, I have to take what i can get....
So I'm gonna quote Duke Ellington (different subject, same idea):"There are 2 kinds of music, good & bad"
Some pretty good wing races lately, like Weikert Memorial at Port Royal!
I said it was a really good race. I didn't see anything that would put it in category of its own. I have said the Outlaws usually have good features. The heats aren't usually good, but that is the format. I have seen a lot of wing races in my time going to races. Lawrenceburg has been pretty good for MidgetWeek the last few years. Port Royal was pretty good also.

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, opnwhlmnd, oppweld
5/31/22, 3:26 PM   #25
sw1911

Quote:
I don't get it. You haven't seen good USAC races? Last night's feature was really good, but it wasn't day and night different than what I usually see.
I apologize for not expressing myself more clearly. I was at Terre Haute on the 22nd and that is as good of a race as I have ever seen there. But when the wings come to town [Lburg} there are the NASCAR stars and guys who graduated from USAC. And more money. Will USAC ever aspire to a higher level?

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, oppweld, PIT CART
5/31/22, 3:34 PM   #26
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

The four story slide jobs of midget week at burg are something to be witnessed in person. Not always for the lead but I've seen fourth and fifth swap their position four times a lap for five or six laps in a row. and other positions as well. The Lady and tanner then the lady and rico swapping the lead a few years back dozens of times was one of the all time greatest in history I can remember. She finished third but wasn't for lack of effort. Rico had won I think two in a row before that.

2 members like this post: opnwhlmnd, oppweld
5/31/22, 3:36 PM   #27
BrentTFunk

Quote:
I apologize for not expressing myself more clearly. I was at Terre Haute on the 22nd and that is as good of a race as I have ever seen there. But when the wings come to town [Lburg} there are the NASCAR stars and guys who graduated from USAC. And more money. Will USAC ever aspire to a higher level?
People want more money races, but fans didn't support them paying $10,000 at Terre Haute. USAC had 4 $10,000 to win races in May. All but 1 rained out. One thing people seemed to forget is the tracks pay the money, not the sanctioning body.

5/31/22, 3:59 PM   #28
BrentTFunk

Quote:
I also think scheduling has a lot to do with it. Larson and Chase Elliott ran USAC races in California last fall. Briscoe, Bell have run also at the BC 39. Larson won several MidgetWeek races a few years ago. The 2 biggest Outlaw races are Knoxville Nationals and King's Royal. Both were created and successful without WoO involvement. With that being said, I do think the WoO do a good job with their wing sprint cars. Late Models and DIRT modifieds seem to be a couple of steps below.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
5/31/22, 4:20 PM   #29
Sandy Lowe

Just to clarify, reserved seating (grandstands on the front stretch) was $39 for all ages. The grandstands in turns 1, 2 & the backstretch were all general admission, $34 adult, $7 kids 7-12, under 6 free.

5/31/22, 4:46 PM   #30
revjimk

Quote:
I said it was a really good race. I didn't see anything that would put it in category of its own. I have said the Outlaws usually have good features. The heats aren't usually good, but that is the format. I have seen a lot of wing races in my time going to races. Lawrenceburg has been pretty good for MidgetWeek the last few years. Port Royal was pretty good also.
I know... I was just agreeing with you!

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg Speedway May 30th World of Outlaws!