IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC and D2 Midgets
12/2/15, 4:47 PM   #11
Re: USAC and D2 Midgets
DAD

Wayne

You must have Subaru on the brain. They only come in 1600cc>>2000cc>>2500cc's. They were just a little too big.

Were I to write the engine rule, I would say something like this. Engine must be readily available in USA in large enough quantity to be easily available to all racers, (proof of 2500+ in production). Limited it to 3000cc's. Any 4 cycle engine of any cylinder configuration would be allowed. If engine came stock from factory with forced induction the displacement would be limited to 2000cc's and Boost would have to remain set at stock factory specifications, to be monitored by sanctioning body with a Data Acquisition device, (could be something very simple and inexpensive). Bore and stroke would have to remain at stock specifications as the engine being used (NO ALLOWANCE FOR CLEAN UP). Stock sized HD valves and HD Valve Springs would be allowed. The use of any aftermarket engine blocks, heads, crankshafts, camshafts, rods, and pistons would be forbidden. NO PORT ALTERATIONS would be allowed. Oiling, carburetion, Ignition, and engine management would be optional. No traction control.

Don't limit brand of car or model (or for that sake don't even limit it to automobile, it could be boat or snowmobile) motor, who cares. The Porsche, Ferrari, etc and other hot cars and motors would lose out because of production #'s. BUT it would sure open up the field to lots and lots of engine configurations and yes there would still be the engine of choice and probably not one of the engines set forth in the rules as they are written now. And speeds would increase

Honest Dad himself

12/3/15, 6:57 PM   #12
Scott Bradley

Where can we find this link from the D.O. interview ?

4 members like this post: DAD, Jim Gardner, Racer1039, trannyman
12/3/15, 7:56 PM   #13
DAD

Scott

Don't know, I tuned in and got Dan Drinan>>>read it on Face Book??

Honest Dad himself

12/3/15, 8:21 PM   #14
Scott Bradley

Dang-it

1 member likes this post: DAD
12/3/15, 8:47 PM   #15
Crankin

http://jackslash.com/podcast/

1 member likes this post: Avon Open Wheel fan
12/3/15, 9:26 PM   #16
chop

Ok so when I ask about this subject, not looking to cause a fight. Just trying to get more information. So is the USAC Honda class done? In 2016, was this not going to be a combo-chassis for pavement and dirt races. One hand you have what I understand is a $10,000 sealed engine or a $800 dollar junk yard engine. An other post in this thread shows a Honda D2 legal engine. Is that the same engine as the sealed engine. Can I get the same engine out of a junk yard? On a side note, I like your input Dad, but not looking to go down the what they should do or what it was like in the old days. Trying to figure out if a person was going to get a lower tier midget. What are the real options for next year.

2 members like this post: DAD, trannyman
12/3/15, 9:53 PM   #17
DAD

Chop

The D2 concept is predicated on cost containment. Last year USAC shared a lot of programs with the Mini Sprints to get a decent field of cars. The little Honda Sealed Motor isn't worth 10 Grand. The way I read D2 rules is, go buy a $1000.00 for a junk yard Honda motor or $10,000.00 for a sealed Honda Motor and go racing. They are on the right path to bringing Midget racing back just a little bit. Remember Mini Sprint are really a Midgets too.

Taking this concept another 500cc's would turn these Midgets into something very similar to the National Guys performance wise.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: Scott Bradley
12/3/15, 9:54 PM   #18
v8j

Exactly how many midget classes are there ?

12/3/15, 10:02 PM   #19
Bradleyracing86

What would happen if the national level USAC midgets would mix up the rule book and only allow OEM engine blocks or aftermarket comparatives, and that be the only rule.... I feel like the new car engines would be great.

12/3/15, 10:05 PM   #20
DAD

V8

A better question would be how many classes use the Midget Chassis as a racing platform. A midget is a Midget the way I see it be it a 600cc upright or a full blown TRO National Midget and everything else in between. Racing has always been Regional and I suspect it always will be. Some people have tried to change the name by calling them "XX Sprint" or "Speed Car" or "Speedster's", but when push comes to shove they are all Midgets. Some of the guys just spend a little more money on their Motors. How many classes of "Stock Cars" are out there???

Honest Dad himself

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC and D2 Midgets