IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora -what would you have done differently?
4/9/11, 3:29 PM   #1
Eldora -what would you have done differently?
tsmith76

I don't post on here very often, but I would consider ELdora my home track as I go there more often than anywhere else. I'm a bit confused at what a lot of you are complaining about right now as there wasn't a lot that anybody could have done last night to change the outcome.

Put the trucks and tractors on the track earlier in the day?
- I think it did more harm than good to have them out there at all because that track was so soft. Putting them out there any earlier would have just made a bigger mess, no?

Change the order of the show up?
- From the way the announcer talked, USAC dictated the show order so they could widen the track. They could sped the drivers up in the push off chute a time or two, but thats nothing new there.

Run them in the fog?
-That doesn't even warrant discussion. Personally I think they shouldnt even have run the stock cars, granted they dont have the open wheels.

Cancel the show altogether?
-Probably would have been the best choice in hindsight Id say. But the same people would be griping about how they threw in the towell too early I'm sure.

Should have tried harder for Saturday's show?
-Ummm hello? If it quit raining Friday morning and they couldnt get it ready, what makes you think that having it rain in the afternoon is going to help them get it ready any quicker tonight?

Only thing I really think they missed the boat on was explaining the ticket refund policy last night. Unless I missed them announcing it. I hope people didnt throw their tickets away leaving only to find out they can use them for a raincheck.

What I am missing here? I realize some of you are like Superduke and are only happy when you have something to complain about, but honestly, I dont know what anybody other than God could have done to change the outcome of last night?

4 members like this post: 64chevy, Kansasdirtfan, TWagner73, Will Shunk
4/9/11, 3:55 PM   #2
Re: Eldora -what would you have done differen
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith76 View Post
I don't post on here very often, but I would consider ELdora my home track as I go there more often than anywhere else. I'm a bit confused at what a lot of you are complaining about right now as there wasn't a lot that anybody could have done last night to change the outcome.

Put the trucks and tractors on the track earlier in the day?
- I think it did more harm than good to have them out there at all because that track was so soft. Putting them out there any earlier would have just made a bigger mess, no?

Change the order of the show up?
- From the way the announcer talked, USAC dictated the show order so they could widen the track. They could sped the drivers up in the push off chute a time or two, but thats nothing new there.

Run them in the fog?
-That doesn't even warrant discussion. Personally I think they shouldnt even have run the stock cars, granted they dont have the open wheels.

Cancel the show altogether?
-Probably would have been the best choice in hindsight Id say. But the same people would be griping about how they threw in the towell too early I'm sure.

Should have tried harder for Saturday's show?
-Ummm hello? If it quit raining Friday morning and they couldnt get it ready, what makes you think that having it rain in the afternoon is going to help them get it ready any quicker tonight?

Only thing I really think they missed the boat on was explaining the ticket refund policy last night. Unless I missed them announcing it. I hope people didnt throw their tickets away leaving only to find out they can use them for a raincheck.

What I am missing here? I realize some of you are like Superduke and are only happy when you have something to complain about, but honestly, I dont know what anybody other than God could have done to change the outcome of last night?
At the very least with the threat of rain, The track should have been sealed till a couple hours before race time and sheeps footed to pack the moisture down. Not dug up to allow the continuing mist to further penetrate a already saturated surface.

Granted, Another track I swore wasn't going to run tonight (Sat) doesn't have hillsides draining into it. But stopped rain at 3pm. Racing at 7

See you at the Burg!

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
4/9/11, 3:58 PM   #3
SUPERDUKE
Banned

For many years the first usac race was on sunday afternoon! Whats wrong with that????????????????? Yes i ***** cause i know whats wrong and how to fix it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 member likes this post: brian26
4/9/11, 5:07 PM   #4
coondog

USAC dictate the show? Thats a good one. We were told we would have the track at 7, then wheel pack for 30 min and the track should be ready per Eldora. We wheel packed much longer as you know. When the trucks went back on the track we questioned why the stock cars couldnt be out there to help. Answer was they didnt want their
8" tires out there. What size tires do you think are on half the trucks that were out there? We also asked them to run the stocks and mod heats first. They ran the stocks but Eldora would not run the mods before the sprint cars. The only thing that USAC may have come close to doing as far as "dictating" was to cancel qualifying and have us hot lap twice to try and help the track.

4/9/11, 5:28 PM   #5
koolaid89

Quote:
Originally Posted by coondog View Post
USAC dictate the show? Thats a good one. We were told we would have the track at 7, then wheel pack for 30 min and the track should be ready per Eldora. We wheel packed much longer as you know. When the trucks went back on the track we questioned why the stock cars couldnt be out there to help. Answer was they didnt want their
8" tires out there. What size tires do you think are on half the trucks that were out there? We also asked them to run the stocks and mod heats first. They ran the stocks but Eldora would not run the mods before the sprint cars. The only thing that USAC may have come close to doing as far as "dictating" was to cancel qualifying and have us hot lap twice to try and help the track.
Jerry, just a heads up... Stock Cars are AWFUL for wheel packing. They are too heavy on too narrow of a tire. They pack the track too tightly and easily create a rough track. Just food for thought.

4/9/11, 5:58 PM   #6
coondog

I understand how stock cars are at wheel packing. I'm not new to this. My point is they aren't going to do anything different than the trucks that were out there. It was rough when the trucks got done and as we packed, it did smooth it out a little. we needed more than the 8 or so trucks that were out there.
Posted using Mobile Device

3 members like this post: 9racing, JCC, jim goerge
4/9/11, 6:36 PM   #7
koolaid89

Quote:
Originally Posted by coondog View Post
I understand how stock cars are at wheel packing. I'm not new to this. My point is they aren't going to do anything different than the trucks that were out there. It was rough when the trucks got done and as we packed, it did smooth it out a little. we needed more than the 8 or so trucks that were out there.
The trucks need to have LM tires on them to do any good. The best tool we've found was the Terra Gator, the contraption Kokomo has with a dozen or so late model tires or a water truck with similar tires on it work best.

4/9/11, 6:55 PM   #8
SUPERDUKE
Banned

The sun is shining in sidney at 3:45 sat and its 69 degrees! Now what?

1 member likes this post: rdzsprint
4/9/11, 7:02 PM   #9
dirtlover

Done differently? Fill it full of water and make it a pay lake!

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, jim goerge
4/9/11, 7:07 PM   #10
PIT CART

I think it was a pond at first?? I don't know why that place has so many problems with the racing surface. I am going to let people in on my little secret but don't tell anybody. If Tony is not going to be there I find someplace else to go. They can get it perfect if he is there. JMO

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora -what would you have done differently?