IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Spread too thin
5/15/18, 4:34 PM   #41
cmiracingvids

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK222 View Post
Each person on here concerned should put up a couple hundred thousand dollars of their own money and start a team....problem solved.
Trust me when I say if I had 200 grand laying around I'd for sure have a car or two on the track every weekend. In the mean time, I'll keep running my mini sprint whenever I can. That's what I CAN do with my extra money.

3 members like this post: davidm, Midget98, TQ29m
5/16/18, 6:43 PM   #42
Re: Spread too thin
TQ29m

I agree, they are spread too thin, just like when the peanut butter jar is almost empty, you can look in the cupboard, and hope there is another there, but these guys, most of them old, have no where else to look, so they park em, they don't want to, but for all these years, they have kept it up, because of their passion for it, but believe me, passion don't put food on the table, not so much anymore, the cost has exceeded the purse, a man can't do it on his own nickel anymore, so it sits, he can't put a car under a driver, when the driver wants the lions share of the money, it is basic economics, and I'm not an economist by any stretch, I spent most of what I made, and all I could win, and begged and bartered for the rest, there comes a time when you have to look up, and realize, you can't do it anymore. Just sayin! Bob

1 member likes this post: Leohr46
5/16/18, 7:14 PM   #43
hoosier race fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
I couldnt disagree with you more. Just look at LPS they and Gas City are running the most weekly shows with sprint cars in Indiana. Dont know about Gas City but the crowds and the car counts at LPS have been outstanding, the reason, they run sprints every week.
Running sprints every week may help them now, but what about after sprint week in July? When teams go through equipment from racing every weekend, that wears the wallet pretty thin by July/August. Gas City has had 20 cars every week so far, but that may drop later in the summer. That’s when it will really look bad when tracks all run sprints on the same night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK222 View Post
Each person on here concerned should put up a couple hundred thousand dollars of their own money and start a team....problem solved.
Don’t you think more people would do just that if they could? Maybe that cost, combined with most races paying around $1500 to win and $150-$200 to start, has something to do with the numbers being what they are. Promoters have liked sprints because they could pay them practically nothing, still get a good car count, and most of the time they put on a good show. Now the good car count and good show isn’t something they can count on. How long until they adjust, or choose not to and go down with the ship?
Last edited by hoosier race fan; 5/16/18 at 7:15 PM.

5/16/18, 8:35 PM   #44
Kendall2020

We are a new team.we went to Putnamville for the first time this year. I thought the field was pretty good. Ive been around sprint racing for 40 years. Yes as a new team we are trying to make mains and get laps. we chose wrong everytime last year, seemingly hitting fields of 30 plus.having options can be good or bad.if we had two weekly options that get 45 cars a night we wouldnt last long through our learning curve. getting fields of 20 or so and making mains will help our growth. yes too much can be bad but if you were Putnamville Sat. you saw a great race. From what I heard Lawrencwburg had a 14 car field but a hell of a race wonm by a very deserving Garrett Abrams. Eldora was a good race. lets all be grateful these tracks are all still going. Enjoy race and come say high when you see the yellow 20

5/16/18, 10:17 PM   #45
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built-N-Stagger View Post
Bloomington has the worst 410 schedule in the entire history of the track!
It does not promote its events and is suffering fan and driver loyalty as a result!
Amen, the lack of promotion kills me. It is the only Friday track close enough and worth going to for me. I can't afford to drive 2 hours everyone weekend; so not having 410s on the schedule puts a big X on those dates. And they do not promote and bring enough hype and knowledge of what weekends I should be attending and why. Lack of promotion and information for Bloomington has been a thorn to me for the last couple of years at-least.

An example is that last year there was no information about the Josh Burton Memorial available and no posts made discussioning it to late the week before or the week of.

Atleast this year more general knowledge was put out there and they finally made a post on Monday I think it was discussing bonuses. But they should have been drumming those up since atleast the first week of April and mentioning weekly at the track. (I have only been to the USAC race, but only mention of the event was going through the general schedule.)

1 member likes this post: Built-N-Stagger
5/17/18, 10:04 AM   #46
the1jet17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by brsteg View Post
Amen, the lack of promotion kills me. It is the only Friday track close enough and worth going to for me. I can't afford to drive 2 hours everyone weekend; so not having 410s on the schedule puts a big X on those dates. And they do not promote and bring enough hype and knowledge of what weekends I should be attending and why. Lack of promotion and information for Bloomington has been a thorn to me for the last couple of years at-least.

An example is that last year there was no information about the Josh Burton Memorial available and no posts made discussioning it to late the week before or the week of.

Atleast this year more general knowledge was put out there and they finally made a post on Monday I think it was discussing bonuses. But they should have been drumming those up since atleast the first week of April and mentioning weekly at the track. (I have only been to the USAC race, but only mention of the event was going through the general schedule.)
I don't know much about Bloomington's advertising but LPS has ads on the radio in Terre Haute all the time. Heck I also heard an Eldora radio ad last week.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
5/17/18, 10:14 AM   #47
Rpracing1

Quote:

Haubstadt runs TV and Radio ads all of the time. Must cost them a ton of $.

5/18/18, 8:26 AM   #48
Built-N-Stagger

Quote:

You are 100% correct. For at least the last 2 Seasons Bloomington has put out zero effort to inform fans and promote their events.
A couple weeks back they had a memorial race for a longtime patron, sponsor, and car owner JB Robbinson. The ONLY information put out by the track was on Tuesday night at 9:00pm 2 1/2 days before the race. I don’t get it! The internet is free! All it takes is a little effort to type & post. You don’t have to spend huge $$ but you should at least make an effort to inform fans.
I know the weather and I-69 are their favorite excuses, but you have to communicate with fans, or you will have none.

5/19/18, 7:32 AM   #49
sw1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by david mitchell View Post
Too many races equals oversaturation equals small crowds equals low car counts.You are seeing the death of the weekly show being run at local tracks.Within Five years you will see most tracks have special only shows.Places around the Country that are historic and have weekly shows will still exist,for example Williams Grove and others.Not so sure this isn’t the best thing.Promote every event as something special.15 -18 events per season.Economics will dictate this.
Isn't that what Tri State did 10 or 12 years ago, give up on the weekly Sundays?

5/19/18, 8:27 AM   #50
Backitin

As for payouts really only a few of the guys are worried about the earnings. You would do better for the sport by reducing costs as opposed to increasing purses. When racing we always worried more about what we were definitely spending as opposed to what we could possibly earn. Bird in the hand is worth a flock in the bush.
That's where the bike community I believe has a better system. You have the expert class, you race for trophies and points and you have a pro class where you race for money. At your typical sprintcar race you might have 20 experts but only a couple of true pro's.
Pretty much a moot point, go out and enjoy what you like. Odds of car counts going way up are nil. There's way easier ways for the youngsters to get they're racing kicks anymore. Am I the only one that has noticed in the racing world of more more more, more outright speed, more money spent that the product has suffered ?
Skinny up the rear tires some, harden them some. Open up the rules, don't really need them if you can over drive your tires. The guys would have to get there elbows up a bit so we might as well do away with some of the body work so we can see the drivers again. Its a equalizer and the only guys that will complain are the guys with big money the rest of us would enjoy having a race car again.

3 members like this post: jscott101, Leohr46, The Old Coyote
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Spread too thin