IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > American Racer Press Release 2009
9/25/09, 12:37 AM   #11
Re: American Racer Press Release
speed service

Mr tireman,

Anyone who knows me, also knows that my better half works for Hoosier. But I do have some questions for you, I am not trying to start a war or even get Don Moore fired up but. Dont you guy's (American race tire) have tire rule tracks? I know the answer is yes. But what boggles me is how you can try to sue and claim monopoly for something you engage in?
And dont think Iam being totaly bias torwards the purple people, I have started a battle a time or too here right under my own roof. And yes have pissed the better half way off.
So for what is fair and what is not Iam not sure of the answer. I personaly think yes the cost is a bit high. And it would be neat to see some compitition on that end to maybe help cost. But on the devils side I can also see if a "compound rule" was put in effect for all company's interested too go by. Hoosier would tweek theres a bit then American there's just a little and maybe even the the shoe with the wing could play too. So I guess Iam asking what is your "fix" to the problem? Too claim injustice? To have an American tire rule? what would you do?

You can contact me directly at my number below.

I go by Chuy and my real name is James Sandberg

P.S. The yellow and blue company tested yesterday close to your own back yard with Saldana. And they will have the outlaw's and Kville for next year. So........

Thanks for letting me rant.

9/25/09, 7:06 AM   #12
grinch

"there`s no such thing as a free lunch"..................

9/25/09, 10:08 AM   #13
Motormasher

The WoO needs to open up to "any" tire a team wants to run like it was when they started the series.

9/25/09, 10:28 AM   #14
winged and non-winged

My beef with the tire deal, other than being overpriced, is the fact that the quality sucks on DT-3 tires as well as th SC-25. I always durometer my tires for my own self being, and every year the "track tires" especially the DT-3 are more inconsistant across the tread. That tire use to consistantly durometer at 48 across the tread. A few years back they started to fluxuate at 47-53 depending on which block was tested. Two weeks ago, the best tire I could choose from was between 49 and 61. Really consistant ehh. every racer that knows anything about tires knows that the harder the tire the more synthetic rubber is used. Therfore, synthetic (meaning man made material and not natural) tires should be more consistant than a natural rubber tire due to the fact that the company "controlls" the process. In my thoughts i know that hoosier is creating these tires as cheap as possible and selling them for a premium price simply due to the fact that everyone has to use them! I think another word for this is Price Gouging. Maybee Hoosier is in bed with the oil companies.... Sounds suspicious to me! Hahaa....

9/25/09, 10:55 AM   #15
thebus79h

Make it a compound rule. There is to much money tied up in exclusive contracts with each tire company, and that's where the problem is. Tire companies are here to sell tires, that's all. If they make 10 compounds, that's fine, and we should run what we want. The tire rule isn't saving anybody any money cause the big dollar teams are still bolting a new one on all the time anyway. I don't blame Hoosier for doing what they are doing, but think about this for a minute. Hoosier tires on a winged car were pretty much non-existent until they got with Lasoski for part of the year, and then Kinser signed on for a few years. If Goodyear had it all tied up, everybody would be riding the wings of Goodyear.

Tire wars help everybody, promotes better racing, better prices, and a better tire for everybody to use.

9/25/09, 11:14 AM   #16
bigmojo5

"Tire wars help everybody, promotes better racing, better prices, and a better tire for everybody to use."

Except the the sanctioning body which gets a percentage from each tire sold under its exclusive deal with a manufactuer. Some put this money in the points fund.

Knoxville had Goodyears, Hoosiers and American racers on sale at the track this summer.

9/25/09, 11:14 AM   #17
RacinFool

its more of a tire rule than a "deal"........................ Unless your Hoosier.

9/25/09, 11:43 AM   #18
SprintLuvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged and non-winged View Post
Motormasher is absolutely correct on all counts..... Can someone out there (preferably a Hoosier tire fan) please explain why the price of a DT-3 tire has escalated in cost by more $45-$60 dollars over the last 3 or four years, while a standard RD-12 has only gone up $5? I thaught this tire "DEAL" from Hoosier was suppose to save money, I guess thats why a Right Rear cost me $213 dollars for the TNT series..... What a Deal !!!
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I would like to correct some points in your post with facts. The DT3 tire rule with USAC and certain local tracks began in 2007. In 2007 the DT-3 tire retailed at $172.13, in 2008 it was $177.29 and this year it $183.32. Over the 3 year period of this tire rule, that tire has increased $11.19. Not the $45 or $60 as you believed. Additonally, the Right Rear RD12 has also increased more than the $5 you stated. In 2007, we retailed the RD12 at $212.50, in 2008 it was $219.00 and this year, 2009, it is $226.50. That is an increase of $14.00 over the three year period.

I can only speak of the tire sales from Hoosier Tire Midwest, but we do sell the majority of the DT-3 tires.

Also, regarding the Right Rear for the TNT Series, that tire was the 105.0/16.0-15 MED as designated by ASCS, so you cannot accurately compare the two tires or prices.

Susannah Stapp
Hoosier Tire Midwest - Indy
317-858-1234

9/25/09, 12:15 PM   #19
RPM Ministries

Hello Susannah,
Just out of curiosity ... what is the cost to manufacture a DT-3 Hoosier RR tire? (per tire)
Also, how much (per tire) goes in to a track point fund?

Thank you for any info!

Chris Simon

9/25/09, 12:48 PM   #20
winged and non-winged

Not to disreguard anything you have said, but do you know what the prices were before the USAC rule in 07? I do ! I still have the reciepts to prove it. Per Lincoln Park Speedway sales and MSCS sales of 2006 the DT-3 was $142.50 In 2007 the tires went up to $165 dollars at both places and have increased every year since then. I have purchased the same tire at Danville in April for $185 dollars, June it was $188 dollars, and July it was $193 dollars. September I purchased one at MSCS and it was $190. Going back to 2006 that is $47.50 increase. These are my facts! And the tires still suck>>>>

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > American Racer Press Release 2009