IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hilborn Injection Pump?
3/21/11, 10:45 PM   #1
Hilborn Injection Pump?
PatrickMead#13

Can a Hilborn injection pump be used with gasoline instead of methynol? Pump is freshly rebuilt some no residue inside. Just curious because I was asked by my Dad and I wasn't sure. Thank you

3/22/11, 5:46 AM   #2
Re: Hilborn Injection Pump?
Larryoracing

I think the answer is yes, but the important point is which size pump should I run for my application. Found this information on the internet:

Which fuel pump should I run?

The first digit of the serial number stamped (not cast) into HILBORN pump castings indicates the pump volume. The following list is a guide to help you select the correct pump size for your fuel requirements:

PG150 series
size #00 - Extremely small engines such as motocycles.
size #0 - Medium size engines, 200" to 360", running gas or methanol. Use with carburetors or small turbo engines.
size #S0 - (Super-0) Medium size engines, 360" to 410", running gas, methanol, or small amounts of nitro.
size #1/2- Same as #S0, just a higher pump volume.
size #1 - Large engines on gas and small amounts of nitro. Also for blown engines on gas, methanol, and small amounts of nitro.

PG175 series
size #2 - Large engines with high percentages of nitro and blown engines on methanol.
size #4 - Very large engines, high percentages of nitro, and blown engines on nitro.

PG250 series
size #5 - Largest pump volume. Very large engines on nitro. Also for turbo or supercharged engines.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani and if I'm giving the wrong advice I'm sorry!

The following link might be useful to get more information during your installation. You can email these guys for the correct advice, application or problems encountered...I think...lol! Good Luck!

http://www.hilborninjection.com/tech...pump_which.asp
Last edited by Larryoracing; 3/22/11 at 5:50 AM.

3/22/11, 8:52 AM   #3
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftermidnight View Post
Can a Hilborn injection pump be used with gasoline instead of methynol? Pump is freshly rebuilt some no residue inside. Just curious because I was asked by my Dad and I wasn't sure. Thank you
And the answer is yes, and in fact, you can use practically any pump size for alky or gas, altho it's best to size for the total amount of fuel you'll be using. Since the amount of fuel the engine see's, is regulated by a series of leaks, and bypasses, you can tailor about anything, to run with about any size pump. I have a friend, who runs a double OO pump, on his 410 on alky, with no problem. I run a double ought most of the time, but it's easy to change to a bigger one, just change the bypass pressures. Gas is a bit different, because it doesn't require as much, so your bypasses will be set to some really low pressures. Good luck! Bob

3/22/11, 6:09 PM   #4
PatrickMead#13

good deal. it' for a mini with a gsxr1100 so i think i'll be ok cause it's a "00" pump. thanks guys

3/22/11, 7:23 PM   #5
TQ29m

You gonna run carbs with that pump? Bob

3/23/11, 6:24 PM   #6
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
You gonna run carbs with that pump? Bob
yeah. nothing fancy, just stockers

3/23/11, 7:18 PM   #7
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftermidnight View Post
yeah. nothing fancy, just stockers
Reason I asked is, carbs are designed, and setup, to run at a constant inlet pressure on the floats, trying to run a mechanical pump, may be a bit of a problem, main reason, it doesn't run at a constant pressure, it has very low volume/ pressure, at low end, and as the RPM pick up, I've seen 00 pumps as high as 75psi, which, at the very least, will be challanging to set up. Good luck! Bob

3/26/11, 8:01 AM   #8
Larryoracing

I was trying to google what the inlet fuel pressure might be and I saw an article on souping up a GSXR 1100 on carbs, with a turbo. They used this fuel pump, "Yamaha XJ650 turbo system layout, fuel pump, fuel regulator, priority breather valve".

Sincerely,

Larry Otani

P.S. Here is the link to the article.

http://members.home.nl/marcovandevel...bo%20GSX06.htm

http://members.home.nl/marcovandevel...bo%20GSX06.htm
Last edited by Larryoracing; 3/26/11 at 8:15 AM.

3/26/11, 9:22 AM   #9
TQ29m

Larry O, I read the article, I see no mention of using any type of engine driven, gear pump on the fuel system, which is what this thread started as. Bob!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hilborn Injection Pump?