IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Needs to Respond to Eldora Fiasco
4/3/10, 6:07 PM   #1
USAC Needs to Respond to Eldora Fiasco
AlkyMadness

I've read all the posts on a couple of message boards. I've looked at the photos from Friday. If USAC had the kahunas, they need to place Eldora on probation thru 2011. During this time period, if Eldora has a repeat episode they will be dropped from the schedule and the races will be moved to another facility.

This situation has been getting worse year by year. The last few sprint races at the 4 Crown were almost impossible to see unless you were in the infield.

There is no excuse for this lack of track prep. Why is it that Tony gets a break? Because he's such a good partner to USAC? A good partner to USAC would not allow this to occur. Tony is no less accountable than DA was. USAC finally took action against DA and it's time they put their foot down on Eldora. That would go a long way toward maintaing respectability.

I've read that USAC is not responsible for track prep. Not true. USAC may not be responsible for physically working the track, but they are ultimately responsible for where they choose to hold events.

I'm just damn glad that I didn't decide to head up there this year. I can't imagine how I'd feel today knowing I'd thrown that kind of money down the drain and I know now that I will not be attending the re-schedule or the Four Crown until I see conditions improve.

2 members like this post: Hubie, Jimmydiesel
4/3/10, 6:33 PM   #2
Re: USAC Needs to Respond to Eldora Fiasco
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlkyMadness View Post
I've read all the posts on a couple of message boards. I've looked at the photos from Friday. If USAC had the kahunas, they need to place Eldora on probation thru 2011. During this time period, if Eldora has a repeat episode they will be dropped from the schedule and the races will be moved to another facility.

This situation has been getting worse year by year. The last few sprint races at the 4 Crown were almost impossible to see unless you were in the infield.

There is no excuse for this lack of track prep. Why is it that Tony gets a break? Because he's such a good partner to USAC? A good partner to USAC would not allow this to occur. Tony is no less accountable than DA was. USAC finally took action against DA and it's time they put their foot down on Eldora. That would go a long way toward maintaing respectability.

I've read that USAC is not responsible for track prep. Not true. USAC may not be responsible for physically working the track, but they are ultimately responsible for where they choose to hold events.

I'm just damn glad that I didn't decide to head up there this year. I can't imagine how I'd feel today knowing I'd thrown that kind of money down the drain and I know now that I will not be attending the re-schedule or the Four Crown until I see conditions improve.
Sounds like you all ready didn't go. How do you put a track on probation? Nice to know you got all the facts. After all you looked at pictures AND message board posts. I cannot imagine a way to be LESS informed. By the way I was there and it was a mess, but from my seat I see no blame to USAC.

5 members like this post: 64chevy, Charles Nungester, racefan20, TSRFan
4/3/10, 6:34 PM   #3
sprinter25

Quote:

What's USAC going to do? They do not prepare the track; if they chose to race, and someone got hurt badly, or worse, we'd all be bashing them for that decision.

From what I read on Eldora's FB page, the track crew was unable to get on the track until late in the week, this week, due to heavy rains making the surface too soft. So what are they supposed to do? Cancel a race when it's 80 degrees and sunny? Yeah, I can hear the noise over that....It's a dirt track, and stuff happens. I'm willing to give Tony, Larry, and company the benefit of the doubt here....

Were a lot of fans disappointed? Absolutely...

Would they have been as disappointed had the race been cancelled due to rain? Probably not, but there'd still be some ticked off folks...

Is there a logical explanation for what happenned? In my perspective, yes.

Like I said, it's not USAC's race track.....

4/3/10, 6:44 PM   #4
Jonr

WOW! Somehow USAC is taking a beating for scheduling a race at a track that last week would have been on everyone's top five list.

I will give you that they did a horrible job on track prep. I will give you that they lost their mind for not having a play day, or a local race night before having a two day national event. Most tracks have play dates for both the drivers and the track.

However, let's have some perspective. In today's enviroment, how many other tracks have had as many capital improvements over the last three years as Eldora? How many other tracks have an owner as committed to dirt track racing?

If you want to blame Tony, go ahead. If you want to blame the track promoters, go ahead. If you want to blame the track prep crew, go ahead. There is deffinitely enough blame at Eldora to go around. However, to say USAC did something wrong is a mistake.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
4/3/10, 7:05 PM   #5
racerdog45

I for one am no longer a USAC supporter, I was at the Midget week deal at Union County and I haven't been to a USAC race since, there's plenty of good NON USAC racing around. HOWEVER, there is no way this is USAC's fault. The fault lays 100% with the track failing to provide a good racing surface. As far as all the capital improvements go, it's not much good if the track is in too bad of shape to be raced on or if the track SUCKS. I could care less about suites, jumbotron, scoreboards etc, I go to watch RACING, and that my friends takes place on the TRACK.........

6 members like this post: 64chevy, buck2, interpreter66, Speedwrench, SUPERDUKE, turn4
4/3/10, 7:14 PM   #6
AlkyMadness

Where the hell did I say it was USAC's fault? As usual, you post one thing and folks read another.

USAC needs to take control of a situation that seems to be sliding further downward with every event.

The fault lies entirely with Eldora, but this isn't the first USAC sprint show at Eldora that has been a mess. This is just the lowest of the low.

IMO, the fault will lie with USAC if they continue to tolerate a track with conditions like this. Why is this any different to Terre Haute a few years ago?

How do you put a track on probation? You advise the track management that specific conditions were unacceptable and have to be improved. The track either complies or they don't. You take appropriate action after that. Nobody can say you didn't give the track a chance for improvement. Seems pretty simple, can't believe it has to be explained. Or do you believe that USAC should do nothing and take no action to guarantee the racing surface is acceptable.

As far as my commenting on an event that I wasn't at (didn't have the cash to put together for a 18 hour round trip and hotel), I'm a USAC fan who has attended this Eldora event and would consider attending again. I was at the dust bowl 4 Crown last year. I'm making my comments as a suggestion on how to deal with this situation. I'll feel free to make my comments anytime when I think I have something to offer beyond complaining.
Last edited by AlkyMadness; 4/3/10 at 7:34 PM.

1 member likes this post: IndyBound
4/3/10, 8:40 PM   #7
Jonr

Quote:

I wonder why people think that you are blaming USAC.

4/3/10, 8:43 PM   #8
hoosierhillbilly

Alky:

I agree with you.

WHile the track is the responsibility of the owner, USAC's image gets tarnished by poor conditions or poor show management. Ultimately, USAC's product is affected. USAC and Eldora will need to work this out.

1 member likes this post: SUPERDUKE
4/3/10, 9:01 PM   #9
popham

If they want to fix the problem, don't gamble that the weather will allow a race this early in the season. More times than not the freeze will not be out of the ground long enough, and the ground will not be dry enough to gamble on scheduleing a race in the midwest on the first weekend of April.

4/3/10, 10:14 PM   #10
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by popham View Post
if they want to fix the problem, don't gamble that the weather will allow a race this early in the season. More times than not the freeze will not be out of the ground long enough, and the ground will not be dry enough to gamble on scheduleing a race in the midwest on the first weekend of april.
they race in pa in feb!

1 member likes this post: Speedwrench
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Needs to Respond to Eldora Fiasco