IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Curious about down under
12/27/10, 7:16 AM   #1
Curious about down under
9racing

What does it cost to take your own car/team to go run "down under".. Yes i know, "if you have to ask, you cant afford it" lol.. Simply curious as to what it would be..

12/27/10, 6:53 PM   #2
Re: Curious about down under
gary curry

Does anybody have an idea about what it might cost just to go down for a coupkle of weeks as a spectator?

12/27/10, 11:00 PM   #3
Joe@ScaleSprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary curry View Post
Does anybody have an idea about what it might cost just to go down for a coupkle of weeks as a spectator?
x2!!

12/27/10, 11:33 PM   #4
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

When I read about Clauson heading there, I looked at a flight out of curiosity, and it was about $1600-2300 Canadian (which is the almost the same in USD) for a roundtrip flight.

I would think it would cost $2500-4000 depending on how long you went, how you lived and what you did while there. Since the shortest flight is 22-26 hours, I would imagine you would want to go for 2-3 weeks.

As for racing down there, Tony Stewart and Donny Schatz race for an Australian team. I don't even know the cost of racing a car on this continent, so I won't pretend to know what it costs on the other side of the world. I don't think many of the dirt late model, midget or sprint guys bring there own cars.
Last edited by apexonephoto; 12/27/10 at 11:34 PM.

12/28/10, 6:03 AM   #5
9racing

yea, I cant say I have seen to many teams take their own cars.. Looks like Loyet has his own ride down there.. Or one that looks identical to his..

12/28/10, 8:21 AM   #6
wobbler

Several drivers send their own equipment downunder with the view to selling it on to the locals when they have finished with it. Loyet has shipped 2 cars and a heap of spares to NZ. Sammy Swindell and Tommy Tarlton are driving cars that they formally owned/ raced in the US and have been bought by locals. Here in Australia several of the sprintcar drivers (winged) ship their own cars here to race and then are left here to be sold. There are also several drivers from the US that also just arrive downunder with their helmet bag and go racing. People like Davey Ray and Jerry Coons have been racing in NZ for a number of years for the same car owners. Jerry has such a relationship with his NZ car owner that they actually shipped one of the cars back to the US for Jerry to use when he didn't have other commitments!!!!

3 members like this post: apexonephoto, dirtnonwingfan, jerrydt
12/28/10, 12:36 PM   #7
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbler View Post
Jerry has such a relationship with his NZ car owner that they actually shipped one of the cars back to the US for Jerry to use when he didn't have other commitments!!!!
That would be the Wendy's car we saw Jerry in at the Kokomo Klash

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

12/28/10, 6:43 PM   #8
GlobalSpeedway Tours

Global Speedway Tours www.globalspeedwaytours.com.au are running a tour to the USA for Australian and New Zealand fans in May 2011 for the Indy 500 and heaps of dirt track racing before and after Indy.

Whilst we are in the US with that tour, we will be promoting details of our first Downunder Tour for American race fans. Whilst it is difficult to provide dates at the moment for next summer, given that that we are still 12 months away, we will have that all wrapped up by next May.

Lengthy time away from home is not easy for you guys often owing to insufficient vacation time but we do want to include the big midget races in New Zealand that are on on right now after Christmas, plus the International sprintcar races in Sydney, World Series Sprintcars Speedweek plus the Grand Annual Classic in Warrnambool (the Aussie version of the Knoxville Nationals) and the always fabulous Australian Sprintcar Title.

All of that would require nearly six weeks away for you .... is that too much?

If so maybe you can let me know the usual vacation time you get plus preferences for racing and sightseeing.

Thanks ... Peter Physick
Last edited by GlobalSpeedway Tours; 12/28/10 at 6:52 PM.

5 members like this post: 64chevy, dirtnonwingfan, gary curry, jerrydt, speed bump
12/28/10, 8:26 PM   #9
speed bump

Two of us would be really interested in making the trip.
You just tell us when and how long , six week`s would
would work out fine for us.

12/29/10, 12:02 AM   #10
gary curry

I'm retired, so time isn't an issue, but cost may be. My better half and myself would definitely be interested. Would there be time in there for seeing some of the country as well?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Curious about down under