IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Burg
5/7/23, 11:27 AM   #11
PIT CART

Sad news that a track with clean restrooms, plenty of parking and nice grandstands is hurting.

2 members like this post: cowboyhar69, TNRustler
5/7/23, 11:54 AM   #12
Drew Tarr

The crowd wasn't quite as bad as Motorhead's buddy said, but it was spotty at best. I was surprised to see such a short car count, but the few that were there put on a good show, all things considered. Racers are an odd bunch and who knows why we do what we do, and go where we go. I drag race and it was a night off for us. I have raced 1 time this year and the class i race had a good car count. I help promote a series at my local track, and i hold my breath every month, hoping for good turnouts. i can only imagine the angst a true promoter feels depending on us to make a living. It was a heck of an opportunity for a less experienced driver to get some good laps under their belt at what I always felt was a pretty intimidating track when i was racing sprint cars. Hopefully the car counts will bounce back. Sitting in the stands sure isn't as much fun as sitting in the seat, and every time we go watch it gives me sprint car withdrawals.

2 members like this post: Harvestman, tirespinner
5/7/23, 12:37 PM   #13
Re: The Burg
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT CART View Post
Sad news that a track with clean restrooms, plenty of parking and nice grandstands is hurting.
Your comment has been the center of debate on this board many times as to why tracks suffer at the front gate. I totally agree that when you go to the track a nice facility is a good thing. In todays age when people are as much interested in what the place is like, as they are for why they are there the racing is not the top priority. I feel like we have all attended places that were sub-par at best but really enjoyed the product on the track. Now the product on the track isn’t as important to the masses as the facility. Maybe the pendulum is coming back to the middle. People(I’m not the only one) have continuously mentioned about the surface and it’s prep at Lawrenceburg, maybe if that improves then attendance will as well. In the end, amenities can be nice and the lights bright, but if what’s in the spotlight isn’t good people don’t care what the restrooms are like.

5/7/23, 1:02 PM   #14
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I don't know the full reason on car count but four tracks running on one night is one, Eldora took away cars from LPS, Paragon and Burg. BOSS was running which took the Gas City, Waynesfield crew.

Crowd, You had two events within hundred miles that most choose to go to. Eldora with the double header and the Ralph Latham Memorial at Florence which is thirty minutes around 275. Lucas LMs. You don't see Brownstown or Florence or many other tracks running up against big LM a shows at Eldora. And since Eldora went from about ten sprint weekends to four a year. people go to see it when it happens.

Sandy posted the times. The feature fast lap was within a couple tenths of a fast time at a USAC qualifying. I can't speak for last night, I was physically unable to attend due to a event I attended in the morning. But the track generally has been better than the bashers say it always is.

Hope it improves. All I gotta say. If it closes, I don't see it reopening soon.

3 members like this post: erich45, Harvestman, Kendall2020
5/7/23, 1:50 PM   #15
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeleyfan76 View Post
Your comment has been the center of debate on this board many times as to why tracks suffer at the front gate. I totally agree that when you go to the track a nice facility is a good thing. In todays age when people are as much interested in what the place is like, as they are for why they are there the racing is not the top priority. I feel like we have all attended places that were sub-par at best but really enjoyed the product on the track. Now the product on the track isn’t as important to the masses as the facility. Maybe the pendulum is coming back to the middle. People(I’m not the only one) have continuously mentioned about the surface and it’s prep at Lawrenceburg, maybe if that improves then attendance will as well. In the end, amenities can be nice and the lights bright, but if what’s in the spotlight isn’t good people don’t care what the restrooms are like.
Your comment is accurate for the diehard fan that goes to the track by themselves. But for many who go & take along their significant other you’d better believe the facility has more impact than anything happening on the track to that person

5 members like this post: captrat, oppweld, PIT CART, tirespinner, Will Shunk
5/7/23, 3:21 PM   #16
Harvestman

Attendance last night was about average for a typical week at the 'Burg, at least in the past few years when I have attended.
I am pretty sure last night was the only event I've attended there where the pure stocks outnumbered the sprints. Worth it too, as the pure stocks had an action-packed feature with a fantastic finish.

5/7/23, 4:43 PM   #17
hoosier race fan

I’m not the promoter, and it’s not my money on the line, but I wonder if the current status would lead to a special events type of schedule. Similar to Kokomo and Tri-State. “Pick your spots” type of schedule that may be safer bets with car count and crowds. Something like this, which eliminates most of the weekly races.

April - USAC Sprints
Early May - BOSS Sprints (maybe move the June date here)
Late May (Memorial Day) - World of Outlaws Sprints
Mid-June - USAC Midgetweek
Early July - Merrill Downey Memorial
Late July - USAC Sprintweek
Early August - Night of Destruction
Late August - Dick Gaines Memorial
September - BOSS/FAST Sprints (add a race here)
October - USAC Sprints

I’ve been to Lawrenceburg several times and never had a bad experience. There was one night when the track was pretty choppy, but it had rained earlier in the day and I was glad they made the effort to race. If a schedule like this happened, I’d love to see the return of the Lucas Oil Late Models or an addition of the World of Outlaws Late Models, but again, it’s not my money on the line. I was at Florence last night and the crowd was fantastic. I attended a race last summer at Moler that was very well supported also, but both were special events and not weekly shows. Hopefully the Outlaws race on Memorial Day will help the finances and keep the gates open.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
5/7/23, 4:49 PM   #18
Rpracing1

Alot of sprint cars out last eve. Seems as if owners prefer to cater to other track than Burg. Maybe not. IDK??? They had better figure something out as a 3 car heat and 7 car feat is not to fun to watch. JMO….

3 members like this post: dkdorkboy, Harvestman, tirespinner
5/7/23, 5:17 PM   #19
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
Your comment is accurate for the diehard fan that goes to the track by themselves. But for many who go & take along their significant other you’d better believe the facility has more impact than anything happening on the track to that person
Correct, and to that end if the product on the track is bad nobody goes. So ultimately whether you are a die hard or not, the track and it’s product should be number one priority. If the racing sucks we aren’t taking our wives anyway. My wife doesn’t attend some of the facilities I go to and that’s ok. She also realizes that if the racing sux why even bother showing up no matter the facility.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
5/7/23, 7:50 PM   #20
racefan20

A Lawrenceburg-Florence weekend for Lucas Oil or Woo LM's might draw a good crowd

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Burg