IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Racer needs prayers, help
2/4/09, 11:04 PM   #1
Racer needs prayers, help
bigmojo5

I know this is a OPEN WHEEL thread but I'm certain that many on here have watched this guy at some point or another during the last three decades when the sprints and midgets were on the same card as late models.

Doug McCammon from Palestine, Ill., is in Methodist Hospital suffering bacterial meningitis, an infection that developed last week following routine sinus surgery. Doug's raced at Haubstadt, Brownstown, Red Hill and dozens of other race tracks around the Midwest. He's raced against Tommy Helfrich in his prime and many other top late model stars.

Below is information, including where to send cards, sent to me by a high school classmate of mine, and a family friend of the McCammons.
JIM MORRISON

On Monday, January 26th (Doug’s 59th birthday), Doug had a routine sinus surgery(septoplasty) performed after suffering a series of sinus infections. Doug returned home and seemed to be recovering quite well. On Thursday, January 29th, he returned for a follow-up to have packing and drainage tubes removed as scheduled.

Later that evening, complications arose with Doug developing a fever and severe headaches. He was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital in Vincennes, Indiana where doctors did a cat scan and found a perforation in the cribriform plate ( a thin bone between the top of the nasal cavity and the lower portion of the brain). Doctors immediately arranged for Doug to be transferred to Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis (a top neuro and head trauma unit)

Once in Indianapolis, doctors found that the perforation had allowed air to surround the brain as well as infection from the sinuses to infect the cerebral fluid around the brain. This infection had caused Doug to develop bacterial meningitis. The doctors immediately administered aggressive antibiotics to stabilize him and the infection.

The infection must now be taken care of before surgery can be done to repair the perforation in the cribriform plate. He is alert, but still in a great deal of pain. Doctors are trying to keep him comfortable in an effort to allow the antibiotics to do their job.

The racing community has always been good to Doug and his family so please keep them in your prayers.

A fund is being set up for Doug and his wife, Sheila. Although they do have health insurance, the high deductibles and uncovered medical expenses, as well as the expenses for Doug’s wife Sheila to remain by his bedside are mounting.

Details of the fund will be posted in the coming days. Once again, please keep Doug, B.J., Sheila and their family in your thoughts and prayers in this time of need. Doug is expected to make a full recovery, but has a long road ahead. Doug’s son B.J. is visiting him daily and trying to keep up with making everyone aware of his progress. We will continue to update his condition periodically.

Thank you to everyone in the racing family.

Cards and letters may be sent to:
Methodist Hospitalc/o Doug McCammon
Room 6035
1701 Senate Blvd
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Please no visitors or phone calls.

Thanks Darrell

2/5/09, 12:15 AM   #2
Re: Racer needs prayers, help
Larryoracing

Thanks for the notice Darrell,

Will try to send a card out tommorow.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani:checkered:

2/5/09, 10:11 AM   #3
E.P.

Race Count This Year: 22
Race Count Last Year: 17

Boy I sure hate hearing this.

I grew up watching Doug McCammon back when he first started racing at Crawford County Speedway in Stoy, IL outside of my hometown in Robinson. Doug McCammon along with others like Tommy Helfrich, Terry Messenger, Bill Shaw, Farmer Dick Love and the Claycomb family are absolutely the reason I have such an affection for racing to this day.

Always a strong competitor with dozens and dozens of late model wins through the years Doug is a fighter for sure and I sure hope he overcomes this latest rough race track he is on right now.

Thanks for the update.

2/5/09, 1:01 PM   #4
sprint38racer

Thanks for the news. I loved watching those McCammon/Claycomb battles at Haubstadt over the years. Doug is a tough cookie. We will keep him in our prayers.

2/5/09, 1:20 PM   #5
smith19

Always liked watching the red and white #92 lm. Sorry about the news...

2/5/09, 9:20 PM   #6
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

I will keep him in my prayers too!

2/5/09, 10:16 PM   #7
bigmojo5

EP,
Didn't know you were from that area. The Robinson track closed just as I was getting into the photo stuff. I was "track photographer" for White Squirrel Speedway just outside of Olney while it operated. Claycomb, the Snyder boys, McCammon, Messenger. Even Butch Sager, Jonathan Vennard's grandfather.
Jim Morrison

2/6/09, 8:46 AM   #8
E.P.

Butch Sager is Vennard's grandfather? I had no earthly idea. Butch was a good guy. #54 wasn't he? What a small world.

Do you remember the flag man at White Squirrel....Harry McFarin? Wasn't he the Richland County Sherriff that ran across tough times in the end?

3/16/09, 9:32 PM   #9
E.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmojo5 View Post
Doug McCammon from Palestine, Ill., is in Methodist Hospital suffering bacterial meningitis, an infection that developed last week following routine sinus surgery. Doug's raced at Haubstadt, Brownstown, Red Hill and dozens of other race tracks around the Midwest. He's raced against Tommy Helfrich in his prime and many other top late model stars.

Doug’s son B.J. is visiting him daily and trying to keep up with making everyone aware of his progress. We will continue to update his condition periodically.
BigMojo....have you heard an update to this story?

3/16/09, 9:57 PM   #10
lovindirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.P. View Post
BigMojo....have you heard an update to this story?
Not to get off the subject but they have probably gone to the best hospital in the country. My friends son was involved in an auto accident, just after church yesterday. They lifed him to Methodist from Anderson. He was partially ejected from an auto, and the car landed on him from chest up. All ribs/ facial bones/ all teeth gone/ broken neck/compound frac. to left arm/ and by [B]GODs[B] will still alive moving his extremities. Totally comprehensive. Knows who he is and all the great things. So between Methodist and God he is moving forward. I was told today was probably going to start on his face. Or work on Jaw or something. Will report more later. So he has gone to a great place. Jeff

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Racer needs prayers, help