IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Plymouth: Dirt or Asphalt?
9/4/12, 2:17 PM   #1
Plymouth: Dirt or Asphalt?
Stevensville Mike

Lost in all of the rain brought on from Isaac, I think we were awaiting an announcement from the Plymouth Speedway management about going to all dirt next season. Unfortunately, the Earl Gaerte Memorial was cancelled on the 1st, wherein the announcement was to be made.

Am I wrong about this or did I miss something somewhere else? Perhaps the announcement is going to be made if the race is rescheduled?

On that note, if it is to be rescheduled, 9/22 would be a great date. Butler Speedway up here in MI ends their winged sprint season the weekend before. Maybe those guys could be lured to Plymouth....?

9/4/12, 9:02 PM   #2
Re: Plymouth: Dirt or Asphalt?
sfracer55

Dirt or asphalt? Sorry, we can't answer that one yet. I know many are expecting an answer but we still need a little more time to make the best decision for the track and community.

The Gaerte Classic won't be rescheduled. There were just too many scheduling conflicts between MOWA, Joe Gaerte, and the other events left at the track. We apologize for any inconvenience or disappointment this may bring but this time of year is difficult with so many tracks running specials.

Please keep an eye on IOW, FB, and our website for further special announcements.

9/4/12, 9:38 PM   #3
Speedsme61x

Why not cut the dirt track down to the same grade as the pavement and use sheeting over part of the pavement(to widen/lengthen and easy cleaning back to pavement) and still run both? Keep a good drain system in the center of the track for rain delays. Just a thought.

9/4/12, 10:25 PM   #4
thebus79h

I would like to see the track stay the same on the bottom and cover the dirt all the way to the wall. Any bigger and the micros aren't going to put on as good of a show as they normally would, and the sprint cars would be amazing on that wide track.

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: mayor31
9/4/12, 11:48 PM   #5
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfracer55 View Post
Dirt or asphalt? Sorry, we can't answer that one yet. I know many are expecting an answer but we still need a little more time to make the best decision for the track and community.

The Gaerte Classic won't be rescheduled. There were just too many scheduling conflicts between MOWA, Joe Gaerte, and the other events left at the track. We apologize for any inconvenience or disappointment this may bring but this time of year is difficult with so many tracks running specials.

Please keep an eye on IOW, FB, and our website for further special announcements.
Thanks for the response, '55. You guys do what you have to do to keep going. In a Summer of historic drought, rain really threw a stick in your spokes this year.

9/5/12, 11:11 AM   #6
microsprint15

My personal "Ultimate Scenario" would be to start completely from scratch and bulid a track similar to that of Macon, IL or "Little Belleville" (Belle-Clarie) Speedway, IL. Indiana currently has nothing of this size or shape. These are 2 of my favorite tracks to watch a midget race and to race with my 600 micro. I believe both tracks get a quality car count for their weekly stock car divisions as well.

-Ryan Leek
Last edited by microsprint15; 9/5/12 at 12:28 PM.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Mud Packer, pjohnson, worm
9/5/12, 12:52 PM   #7
Hotshoe65s

Quote:
Originally Posted by microsprint15 View Post
My personal "Ultimate Scenario" would be to start completely from scratch and bulid a track similar to that of Macon, IL or "Little Belleville" (Belle-Clarie) Speedway, IL. Indiana currently has nothing of this size or shape. These are 2 of my favorite tracks to watch a midget race and to race with my 600 micro. I believe both tracks get a quality car count for their weekly stock car divisions as well.

-Ryan Leek
Indiana does have something similar to belle Claire, thunder valley in Salem is a tiny little track. Would be good for midget racing.

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: the_77H, TQ29m
9/5/12, 2:51 PM   #8
koolaid89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedsme61x View Post
Why not cut the dirt track down to the same grade as the pavement and use sheeting over part of the pavement(to widen/lengthen and easy cleaning back to pavement) and still run both? Keep a good drain system in the center of the track for rain delays. Just a thought.
You'd have to run dirt on Fridays and asphalt on Saturdays because I don't know of anyone that can build a track over night and it be raceable unless you're on a mx bike... And even if you did that it would really come down to the wire to be changed over for Saturday since asphalt racing needs to be a 12 hour affair for some reason...

1 member likes this post: nathans1012
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Plymouth: Dirt or Asphalt?