IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ocala
1/1/12, 12:18 PM   #1
Ocala
flatout18

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 46

Fly out on Super Bowl Sunday for a week in the sun and some great USAC Racing. We are going to have a few days to kill before the racing action. Anybody have any unique ideas?

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
1/1/12, 12:41 PM   #2
Re: Ocala
interpreter66

go to don garlit's museum ,really cool even for straight line stuff.

2 members like this post: flatout18, mud goodsleeve
1/1/12, 1:15 PM   #3
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

The Garlits Museum is a must. Also, I would go to Tampa. There are several really good restaurants I go to when I am down there with several different types of food. Also, I love to walk around in Ybor City, the old city part of Tampa, and see its neat stores, old buildings, and some really beautiful tile work on the buildings. Also, I think that East Bay is probably running some sort of fendered cars at that time.

If you are interested in the drive, PM me and I will be happy to give you some details.

2 members like this post: flatout18, groove grabber
1/1/12, 2:34 PM   #4
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

Does anyone know if Ocala will run Sunday if any of the shows gets rained out?

1/2/12, 5:27 AM   #5
rataz

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 7

Can recommend a visit out to Cape Canaveral to check out all the NASA stuff. And yeah, Don Garlitts museum is definitely worth a visit.

1 member likes this post: flatout18
1/2/12, 12:41 PM   #6
smith19

don't know if it is still there but silver springs is right down the street. it's kind of a theme or amuesment park. they have glass bottom boat rides thats neat. i know they have filmed at least 2 movies there (007) ?.

2 members like this post: flatout18
1/2/12, 3:12 PM   #7
ISF

A very neat place to go is Blue Spring State Park near Orange City just South of Deland, FL which is maybe a 40 minute (give or take) drive from Ocala. The manatee are in the spring run that time of year. The spring goes down to the St. Johns river which is much colder than the spring water that time of year and the manatee are in the St. Johns and follow the warmer spring water to the springs. The water that comes up out of the spring is a constant 72 degrees and the manatee flock to the warmer water. Since the manatee are mammals they seek the warmth. There have been record numbers of the big marine mammals in recent years. The rest of the park is really neat as well. Go during the week if you can since it fills completely up on weekends. If you go on a weekend be there when they open because once if fills up they won't let any more in 'till some leave. We go there every time we're in Florida during the winter. Blue Spring is located west of Orange City. Take U.S. 17/92 to Orange City, go west two miles on French Avenue to the entrance. Not positive but I think the hours are 8 AM till 8PM.

Silver Springs is still open and it's definitely interesting and a worth while deal, as well.

Did anyone mention Big Daddy's museum? LOL. It really is a must seen!

2 members like this post: flatout18, smith19
1/2/12, 4:25 PM   #8
i love dirt track racing

hope to meet up with you and the wife in the 2012 season. i was wanting to go to ocala this year but i got to save some vaction time for the rest of year. the mail man was just out and put 2012 racing schedule togather. hope you guys have a great trip and we will hook up some time in 2012. happy new year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1/3/12, 10:59 AM   #9
DIRT-TRACK-JUNKIE

Silver Springs is still there, we went last year spent about 4 hours there. Check online for buy 1 get 1 admission to the park for adults. Creature From The Black Lagoon was the other movie filmed there. Glass Bottom Boat ride was pretty cool with all the gators swimming around you.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ocala