IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Maybe This Is A Step In the Right Direction
5/4/17, 1:51 AM   #21
Re: Maybe This Is A Step In the Right Direction
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYATK94 View Post
All very well said, drifter. I'm living proof of some of your remarks.

As a kid, my parents took my to Tri State Speedway back when they ran a weekly winged program. I didn't have much of an interest in racing through my teenage years, and when I did go to a race, it was usually a wing show. Sure, I knew sprint cars raced without wings, but that knowledge was a result of my cousin talking about non-wing racing on occasion, not from me attending non wing races.

Started having an itch to go see some races again a few years ago, and I knew Kokomo was near my home in Noblesville (knew this because of my dad and I going to a WoO show there the prior year). Hopped online to check out their schedule and ended up going to a few of their Sunday night shows and a couple Smackdown nights. As for now? I get to as many USAC shows as I can and still drive up to Kokomo on Sundays when I can.

My fandom for non wing racing is essentially a direct result from exposure to wing racing. Promoting sprint car racing, wing or non wing, can be beneficial for both types.

Still enjoy both sides today. Very excited for the WoO and USAC shows at Eldora in less than two weeks, one of my favorite weekends all year.
By the way, I'm jealous about that Eldora race. I'm a substitute teacher, have summers off, drive East every year (From Colorado) to spend time with 94 yr. old Mom. Try to hit sprint races on the way. First stop this summer, Terre Haute USAC, then Ohio & Pa. wings... (God willin' & the creek don't rise...)

1 member likes this post: ModernDayDrifter
5/4/17, 4:32 AM   #22
ModernDayDrifter

Race Count This Year: 47
Race Count Last Year: 37

When I make the trek north I usually am on the receiving end of comments like "real racing is in Indiana.", "real sprint cars don't need no stinkin crutch", etc. This is usually after people find out that when I'm from is dominated by wings.

I reply, every time, with "I came for the modifieds." And the truth is that I do, in fact, hold them to a higher regards than sprint cars. In reality, I drove the several hours, took time off from work, etc. To be with my friends, at a racetrack enjoying racing. I love modifieds and latemodels. Non wing sprint cars are my favorite type of sprint car, there is no denying that.

I find compromise between it all be just supporting racing. Racing of all type. I've drove hours to watch karts race, and would do it again many times over if thats what it took.

We can all have our own favorite, the jaw jacking is fun sometimes. But spewing your personal opinion as fact is straight garbage.

The thing is we havery to stick together, we have to promote the crap out of classes we don't care about to help it all survive. Shocking concept, I know. Why? Because the sport needs it.

1 member likes this post: mc/rider
5/5/17, 9:53 AM   #23
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernDayDrifter View Post
Put me in coach, I'm ready to play today...

Supporting winged sprints does "NOTHING" for non-wing sprints "at all." This is your claim. So, just last year alone I introduced 7, yes 7, people to non-wing racing. Around our parts we have winged cars, I introduced them to winged cars as well before hand, then told them about and showed them videos of non wing cars. Now 5 out of the 7 prefer non-wing and the other two, like myself, are just a fan of racing. Apparently, capturing their attention using winged cars DID SOMETHING for promoting non-wing racing. Oh, did I mention that 4 of them never seen a race live in their life, while the other 3 were casual fans. I do my part.

I never got upset? A smart ass comment, eh maybe.

YOU don't like winged sprints, so YOU don't support it. Again, biased opinions have no place in the promotion of a sport that has struggled to gain national exposure.

One instance where WoO directly caused USAC to get an invite... I think next week Eldora is doing the #LetsRaceTwo with USAC and WoO on the same ticket two nights in a row. Someone sees that one influences the other. Smart people.

I sure hope that the comment about being disrespectful was not directed towards me, I haven't been disrespectful....... yet.

I am a fan of the full body cars as well. In fact, I prefer latemodels and modifieds over sprint cars of any kind. Big blocks are what draw me to Charlotte every year for the WoO World Finals. Saying that they wont bring USAC is such a logical statement. How long did it take you to come up with that line? The answer is to FULLY support racing, while FULLY promoting your favorite things about it. That IS the answer. Why? Because our sport needs it.

Now, on to the religious comment. My favorite part. If you are going to use a Bible verse to attempt to prove a point, at least use the whole verse. Let me help you with that... Luke 16:13 "No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.”

So, the important part you forgot (or just elected not to include) is "You cannot serve God and mammon." I do not see how this makes any sense in the way you have portrayed (or not) it but I will play along anyway... Using the context you are making a claim that God would be equivalent to USAC and mammon (material wealth) would be the equivalent of WoO... I have a suspicion that our almighty leader would not take too kind to you comparing him to anything at all...
Edited for tone and clarity:

I purposely left out the God and Mammon part because it wasn't the point I was shooting for. I think expecting a positive influence on non-wing sprints by promoting winged sprints would be a long shot. What I'm saying is if a given track hosts a WoO show I don't expect this will lead to them having a USAC/CRA date in future. I think you may be referencing increasing fanbase and I'm looking at class growth, so perhaps 2 different views, but not opposing ones.

5/5/17, 12:18 PM   #24
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

Many of the non wing fans on here act like being a fan of winged cars is like having herpes. This is where the acrimony begins. I don't know how many times I feel like I am being called too stupid to recognise what I like when, I read the wing bashing. It always starts with the non wing purists. I have never jumped into a thread stating that non wing cars suck because you can get out and push faster than you can drive them through the corners, although at times I want to. I would not be into sprint cars if it weren't for winged cars. What got me hooked was the speed. I was 29 when I saw winged cars on a 1/2 mile, and it literally gave me goose bumps. I know winged racing has snoozers, but I have seen plenty of non wing snoozers. But when a winged race turns into 3 fast cars throwing sliders at 120 mph through lapped traffic for the win, it offsets a lot of boring races. I can see other classes that run about the same speed as non wing cars, so if my introduction to sprint cars had been non wing, there would have been no goose bumps, and I would not have moved across the country to race sprint cars.
Last edited by Rhody; 5/5/17 at 12:20 PM.

1 member likes this post: ModernDayDrifter
5/5/17, 3:09 PM   #25
Aces&Eights

Being a fan of one type of sprint does NOT obligate you to be a fan of the other.
Last edited by Aces&Eights; 5/5/17 at 8:08 PM.

1 member likes this post: Pat O'Connor Fan
5/5/17, 3:59 PM   #26
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

I have never seen non wing bashing on this site, or any other.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, ModernDayDrifter
5/5/17, 4:09 PM   #27
PJ Wright

My favorite form of racing is non-winged sprint cars. However if all sprint cars had wings, I would absolutely still be a fan.

Aces and Eights: I think your biblical analogy is way off. NO type of racing will ever be my "master".
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, ModernDayDrifter, Pat O'Connor Fan
5/5/17, 4:33 PM   #28
i love dirt track racing

God bless America. Hope to see you guys at Eldora next weekend for some great racing events with the woo and usac non wing sprint cars. Have fun and enjoy the great things that we all all love. Thanks.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, ModernDayDrifter
5/5/17, 4:50 PM   #29
Aces&Eights

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Wright View Post
My favorite form of racing is non-winged sprint cars. However if all sprint cars had wings, I would absolutely still be a fan.

Aces and Eights: I think your biblical analogy is way off. NO type of racing will ever be my "master".
Well, I think you missed my point, but that's the problem of text only. You can't see my face or hear inflexions in my voice so its more difficult to communicate a point like I would in person. My point simply was there is no obligation for one group to have to support the other. I can like one and not the other, as you can like one and not the other, its ok to do that.

I do NOT wish any racing to suffer, but the times are changing and the younger generation for whatever reason is less inclined to support any motorsport outside XBOX or Playstation or iRacing... I still say support the one you love first and take a kid to the races and let he/she decide which class they love and support them in that, whichever it may be. I'll be at a dirt race and soon in a non-wing sprint, because I love their purity, simplicity and agility. I left Late models because of idiotic rule changes and the trend to more and more aero-tech and downforce, which only served to increase the costs. Peace.

5/5/17, 5:02 PM   #30
chrismattlin

It's very interesting seeing a slice of societal schism play out in this thread. People are arguing with one another over opinions! Even more amusing is the notion that paying customers (fans) should shoulder the responsibility of the people who are paid (promoters);

"The thing is we havery (sic) to stick together, we have to promote the crap out of classes we don't care about to help it all survive. Shocking concept, I know. Why? Because the sport needs it.".

You know what's shocking? The communal concept expressed in that quote actually exists in America! Ideas like that are repugnant to our ancestors who fought in the Great Wars.

No one should be chastised for not supporting what others consider "the greater good". The market will decide what survives and what does not. I would never enlist myself to support the survival of an entity just because it "needs it". Thank God we're still free enough to not support things which we do not care for.

[Sorry to the poster who I chose to quote- it wasn't an attack against that particular person whatsoever, but rather a microcosm of many of the post in this thread.]

1 member likes this post: Pat O'Connor Fan
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Maybe This Is A Step In the Right Direction