IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Derek Fishers new blog post
6/27/14, 1:05 PM   #1
RetiredShoe

At first I wasn't going to share this piece here because the topic is message boards themselves and Derek quite frankly isn't a fan. However, he has some ideas that you can either agree with or tear apart, to change and possibly make message boards better. More importantly, if you cannot laugh at his characterization of various people that you will find on message board sites then you might need to actively look for humor in your life. Enjoy!

http://www.wfopenwheel.com/2014/06/2...th-the-boards/

2 members like this post: fish, gastown
6/27/14, 5:13 PM   #2
Re: Derek Fishers new blog post
Jerry Shaw

I remember Derek Fisher. That's the guy who joined this forum just because he hated Bryan Clauson and continually bashed him, when BC was like 15 years old. I've read some of what he's written. He's not really a very creative guy. He's a one track race fan, who has a real small bag of metaphors that he uses over and over again to decscribe what he's seen. And there's one thing he's good at and that's taking cheap shots. Continually trying to tear Haubstadt down, even though he never goes there. This stool sample of an article is just another example. A long time ago, someone made him mad after he was taking cheap shots at Rich Vogler on the anniversary of Rich's death and he threw a hissy fit and stomped of, sending a PM to Bill, asking him to delete his account, as a last dramatic act.

And now all these years later, he's still trying to use what Bill has built here at IOW to make a name for himself. No matter how many cheap shots he takes, he'll never be read by even one five-hundreth of the number of people that anybody who shares their racing experience here on IOW will be.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 6/27/14 at 5:25 PM.

4 members like this post: leftturnonly, mlamb, RetiredShoe, streetglider
6/27/14, 5:29 PM   #3
BrentTFunk

I know Derek and definetly don't agree with everything he says, but there are some points on this that I feel are valid. Not all, but some.

4 members like this post: fish, K9Racer, monkeyboy, RetiredShoe
6/27/14, 6:19 PM   #4
streetglider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
I remember Derek Fisher. That's the guy who joined this forum just because he hated Bryan Clauson and continually bashed him, when BC was like 15 years old. I've read some of what he's written. He's not really a very creative guy. He's a one track race fan, who has a real small bag of metaphors that he uses over and over again to decscribe what he's seen. And there's one thing he's good at and that's taking cheap shots. Continually trying to tear Haubstadt down, even though he never goes there. This stool sample of an article is just another example. A long time ago, someone made him mad after he was taking cheap shots at Rich Vogler on the anniversary of Rich's death and he threw a hissy fit and stomped of, sending a PM to Bill, asking him to delete his account, as a last dramatic act.

And now all these years later, he's still trying to use what Bill has built here at IOW to make a name for himself. No matter how many cheap shots he takes, he'll never be read by even one five-hundreth of the number of people that anybody who shares their racing experience here on IOW will be.

Jerry
Jerry, don't forget the recent thread that Derek posted that blasted Dave Darland. That post was pathetic as well.

6/27/14, 6:24 PM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I agree with Shaw on this one, This guys got no ground to stand on as he was as guilty of negativity as anyone.

We'll call him. Hypocrite Guy
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 6/27/14 at 6:26 PM.

2 members like this post: PJ Wright, RetiredShoe
6/27/14, 6:37 PM   #6
streetglider

Is Derek, by chance, the son of Gary or Scott Fisher ?

6/27/14, 7:36 PM   #7
thebus79h

I haven't laughed that hard in a while. But it is really true in many aspects. Don't remember who it is but someone in this board wasn't allowed to have an opinion by the others because he didn't go to as many races as they did. I was there. It happened.

Do I agree with it all? Nope. Just like I didn't agree with the Dave darland article on many parts of it and hell I'm involved with the site and show.

I'm thankful for this board. Bills an awesome dude for sure. But there sure are a lot of things that happen on here just like Derek describes. And I don't know Derek personally, but from the convos I've had with him? Stand up dude that for sure isn't afraid to stand behind a statement. Right or wrong.

1 member likes this post: RetiredShoe
6/27/14, 9:50 PM   #8
Bill Gardner
Administrator

Quote:
"what I truly want is one that functions like it ought to. I want to log on, get my info, and log off when I’m ready – not because I got disgusted with someone or something."
The world doesn't revolve around what disgusts [one] persons views or opinion.

It's impossible to manage or "regulate" a message board exactly how every person wants it. It doesn't matter what I do, someone will always be happy and someone will always be "disgusted".

Message boards aren't for everyone especially people who think their own opinion is flawless.

The fist thing posted in the forum rules is this....
Quote:
Why are rules & moderation needed?

The rules and the moderating team are here to keep the message board a fun, positive place to socialize and share information. Many forums fall apart after becoming consumed by petty squabbling or having useful information drowned in a sea of stupidity and nonsense, and that is the fate we are actively trying to avoid. We are ready to treat you like a mature, responsible adult, and if you behave as such, you won't have any problems here.
All I can say is I tried to create a respectable sprint car message board. I think I've done a fairly decent job of that but I do not control how EVERY PERSON feels.

6/27/14, 9:57 PM   #9
on_the_edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gardner View Post
The world doesn't revolve around what disgusts [one] persons views or opinion.

It's impossible to manage or "regulate" a message board exactly how every person wants it. It doesn't matter what I do, someone will always be happy and someone will always be "disgusted".

Message boards aren't for everyone especially people who think their own opinion is flawless.

The fist thing posted in the forum rules is this....

All I can say is I tried to create a respectable sprint car message board. I think I've done a fairly decent job of that but I do not control how EVERY PERSON feels.
You could give 10 people a million dollars and I guarantee one person will complain they didn't get more. Just the way of people no way to make everyone happy and no reason to try. The majority of people enjoy this board and the ones who don't are probably miserable in life so they have bigger issues than what is being said on this board.

6/27/14, 11:29 PM   #10
Boat

Race Count This Year: 17
Race Count Last Year: 5

I think he said he was Gary's son in the piece about Dave Darland. I guess I agree with Charles. My problem is I don't see how he is any different (other than trying to make a better argument) than anyone who complains on here. I understand he's writing a blog & has to take a stand. I'm not going to make him out as the devil for his thoughts or even say I completely disagree. In my opinion if you aren't smart enough to weed out the bs on here or anywhere that's your fault. I for one can say that this site hasn't made me a fan, but it has made me a bigger fan. Helps me figure out where to go and stay connected to what's going on. I'm a big fan of horse racing & this site doesn't hold a candle to the complaining and hatred I see on some of their sites. If nobody had any opinions & didn't care it wouldn't be nearly as fun. I understand some of you are way more involved and it is way more serious than for me just the casual fan. For me racing is awesome. If it wasn't fun then I wouldn't want to go to the races every chance I get. Every time I go to the races I'm amazed. These guys are bad ass. Not only do they do things I can't do. They do things I can't even think about doing.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Derek Fishers new blog post