IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lack of cars on pavement
8/15/16, 3:43 PM   #81
Re: Lack of cars on pavement
opnwhlmnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backitin View Post
Nonwing sprints and midgets in general are going the dinosaur route, less of them around over time and most that are still around are on three legs. The extinction started on the east coast and is heading west. I don't care if you have 12 cars racing, it's 12 more then we have here and I'd support it while you can.
Try to keep up.

In the midwest there are at least 125 non-wing sprints a weekend racing on Saturday nights between LPS, Paragon, Lawrenceburg, WAR, and BOSS.

On the left coast there are at least 30 USAC/CRA, 25 USAC/West Coast, and 25 USAC/Southwest cars at every show each of the three have.

That's over 200 non-wing cars and that doesn't even include the cars that only chase USAC points.

They aren't becoming extinct just because you don't have them on the east coast.

If you ask us in the midwest what's becoming extinct we would say 410ci wing sprints.

Sorry everyone for the pavement thread hijack by talking about dirt but had to respond.

Last edited by opnwhlmnd; 8/15/16 at 3:59 PM.

2 members like this post: sprinter31, Team96
8/15/16, 4:01 PM   #82
Backitin

used to be when racing started that you raced what you had anywhere on anything.
You needed no special car for each discipline.
Todays dirtcars can be run on asphalt, they are still cars right ?
This is one of the prime examples of how some (not all) rich car owners whom made it mandatory to over spend on everything. I saw it in the early 70's with the Weld modifieds and maniacs spending huge money to have a Indy built Modified. Big fat factory pigs compared to a true east coast modified. When guys beat the factory cars suddenly weight rules and such became the norm. Money being spent that pushed us right out of the sport.
I'm getting to be an old fool but I know for a fact that the golden age of racing dirtcars is long gone. I really do feel bad for the younger generation that missed what racing and the racing community was like in the late sixtys and seventies. The days that you didn't go thru a catalog, but you went around to guys garages to see what they're building.

200 cars racing on a weekend out of all the US ? Those are good numbers ?
I can show you tracks here that pull over 125 cars a night more then once a year., one track one night.
Last edited by Backitin; 8/15/16 at 4:06 PM.

1 member likes this post: Avon Open Wheel fan
8/16/16, 6:09 PM   #83
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
That was just always what I thought. Why spend the money to build, maintain, race a car and/or cars that you're only going to use a handful of times a year? There were only 5 SC races on pavement scheduled this year and 1 rained out.
Honestly, and I speak only for myself, the reason I spend the money and work on the cars that we're only able to race a few times a year is because I love it. This is my hunting and fishing and bowling, .... That's why I do it. Pretty stupid, huh ?

Tim Simmons

7/31/17, 3:45 PM   #84
drtracr

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 10

I love racing, both dirt and pavement. Don't want to see either go away, I am offering my help in any way to keep them on the track. I have over 50 year experience in racing including promoting. What can I do to help?

1 member likes this post: Bostonian
7/31/17, 4:04 PM   #85
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtracr View Post
I love racing, both dirt and pavement. Don't want to see either go away, I am offering my help in any way to keep them on the track. I have over 50 year experience in racing including promoting. What can I do to help?
The simplest and maybe yet hardest. Bring sponsors to the events so that the purses get bigger and guys have to at least think twice about bringing their cars out and try for the extra cash brought in. I think that works for Crown cars dirt and asphalt.

Now when you talk about sprints or mods or whatever; you will see time and time again lower car counts for more money. Reasons being higher cost of admission; and the extra competition it brings in (faster cars and drivers), leaving budget racers thinking they can't make the show or even if they do they will have to really run the car hard and risk it to still be middle pack. {Which may be true or untrue depending on situation.}

7/31/17, 4:35 PM   #86
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtracr View Post
Wow. This thread has been buried for awhile.

First off, thanks for volunteering your services.

But now that you are asking to help, for a successful formula, I suggest you implement NONE of the following:

Stage racing
The Lucky Dog
The Wave Around
Phantom yellows for debris that no one can find (not even Columbo)
Competition yellows to check tire wear
Competition yellows to bunch up the field
Speed limits on pit road under green flags
Common body templates
Downforce
1.5 mile tri-ovals
Unlimited tires in stock
Political correctness
Michael Waltrip
Darrell Waltrip
Kenny Wallace
Brian France
Danica Patrick (including any type of media coverage)

To be SUCCESSFUL, though, I would start by getting AVSS and Must See to take the wings off and race at places like Winchester, Salem, IRP (ORP, LOR, LORP... whatever it is called now), maybe South Band, etc. Outside of Indiana..... take knife.... put it to throat..... pull straight across. Maybe Toledo can prop us up to the East. Or Sandusky with Super Mods. Keep it local and centralized. Only rule - minimum weight WITH driver in the car.

Give the mike to Bob Jenkins.

Someone to bankroll the racing for a few years would be required, too. But I have no skin in the game. I am only a fan. Oh..... wait.... you need guys like me and my buds.

Once again, thanks for offering up. Really. Your slingshot is waiting for you over there, David. Remember.... aim between the eyes. He's a big boy.

7/31/17, 5:23 PM   #87
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

Wow. Mike you got on the soap box, impressive. i would suggest AVSS, Must see, and King of the Wings put down their weapons and get everyone on the same page. No weight rule, no engine rule, no tire rule, invite the supers from Ohio to join the tour and maybe, just maybe they might be able to book a nice schedule of races for us fans to come see.

Rich M
Last edited by Rich Mersereau; 7/31/17 at 10:02 PM.

4 members like this post: Speedwrench, sprintracer82, The Old Coyote, tirespinner
7/31/17, 10:17 PM   #88
Baylands

Asphalt Silver Crown racing is awesome, as are non wing sprints and midgets on asphalt. We need USAC to support them again. Car counts and attendance never matched dirt other than shows like Turkey Night at Irwindale, and the car counts during the recession didn't help in keeping USAC from dropping asphalt. But times are better again, and now a top shelf asphalt car can be bought for a song, so let's get asphalt back on schedule for all three types of cars. The cars are in garages. Look at the Little 500 car count.
Last edited by Baylands; 7/31/17 at 10:22 PM. Reason: non wing

8/1/17, 7:26 AM   #89
david mitchell
Banned

Did not think we would see this resurface until at least two weeks when salem runs.i would reintroduce it of course.we need at least twenty cars for the pavement crown cars to be viable.we need four more cars from somewhere.i can't believe that cannot be achieved.i am putting out a call to all silver crown cars that can be run on pavement to come to salem.notice i am giving in to those of you who say a dirt car cannot be run on pavement,although it isn't true.tired of arguing.i can't believe there are exactly the same sixteen to nineteen cars that always show up in captivity.there were nearly fifty at one time.four cars is all i am asking for🤓🤓🤓

1 member likes this post: OnTheHammer
8/1/17, 7:29 AM   #90
david mitchell
Banned

I don't think stevensville mike likes nascar.

1 member likes this post: OnTheHammer
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lack of cars on pavement