IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Was the Expo a Success?
2/2/09, 9:39 AM   #11
Re: Was the Expo a Success?
sprinterfan

Meeting with friends was just about all it was good for. From a vendors stand-point, it was nothing but a display show. Mini PRI show.

By the way, $4.50 for a hot dog is pretty damn rediculous. Thats the same as stealing.

2/2/09, 10:28 AM   #12
john3g

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinterfan View Post
Meeting with friends was just about all it was good for. From a vendors stand-point, it was nothing but a display show. Mini PRI show.

By the way, $4.50 for a hot dog is pretty damn rediculous. Thats the same as stealing.

I had a great time seeing everyone again but I do agree that the food cost ( for a fat boy) where just a little high. Like a mile or two high. How can they get away way with prices like that??? At some point you have to say enough. Just a fat boys opinion.
Last edited by john3g; 2/2/09 at 10:48 AM.

2/2/09, 10:55 AM   #13
Crankin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinterfan View Post

Going off of your screen name, sprinterfan, makes me wonder? Just what exactly was it that you were there to purchase from our non-"display show" vendors?

As far as the concession stand: I do want to make clear that we have NOTHING to do with them! They are a fairgrounds deal. I totally agree that $4.50 for a hot dog is ridiculous (I did not look at the prices, but I'll take your word for it)! We had a couple of issues with the concession folks this year. So along with our concerns, we will bring up this issue too, when we meet this week.

2/2/09, 10:58 AM   #14
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprntr View Post
I found some good buys, wish I hadn't had to wade through so much stockcar/mortified stuff, but we had a great time.
Well, I do have to say this about the mods. Now, I will qualify it in saying that I certainly do prefer sprints and that much is obvious by what I shoot. Down here in Texas, there just are not a lot of sprints, and mods are the top class. I didn't realize how popular this class must be in other places until we had a three day USMTS show in December. It was a Thursday through Saturday show. Each one was a "stand alone" (no prequalifying for the next night). Winning payouts were US$2K on Thursday, 3K on Friday and 4K on Saturday. My point is that the car count was never lower than Thursday's 91 cars, with a high of 97 on Saturday. And top quality teams were not making the feature each night. When was the last time there was a sprint car show with that kind of car count for that small of a payout? I was amazed.

Yeah, I prefer sprint cars, but there are A LOT of mods out there. And these teams are very well funded.

2/2/09, 11:19 AM   #15
racinman

All of us at Tom Wieck Auctions want to thank all of Shoestring Racing for allowing us to be a small part of your show... We also want to thank everyone that came out to the show and supported it.
The auction was very successful with right at 500 lots and a nice variety of rolling stock... A good crowd was on hand and most stayed to the very end...
We learned a few things to change for next year and look forward to returning next year... Thanks again, Tom

2/2/09, 1:20 PM   #16
john3g

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmakin View Post
Well, I do have to say this about the mods. Now, I will qualify it in saying that I certainly do prefer sprints and that much is obvious by what I shoot. Down here in Texas, there just are not a lot of sprints, and mods are the top class. I didn't realize how popular this class must be in other places until we had a three day USMTS show in December. It was a Thursday through Saturday show. Each one was a "stand alone" (no prequalifying for the next night). Winning payouts were US$2K on Thursday, 3K on Friday and 4K on Saturday. My point is that the car count was never lower than Thursday's 91 cars, with a high of 97 on Saturday. And top quality teams were not making the feature each night. When was the last time there was a sprint car show with that kind of car count for that small of a payout? I was amazed.

Yeah, I prefer sprint cars, but there are A LOT of mods out there. And these teams are very well funded.

Well said and THANK YOU!!!! We in the mod class spend a ton of money for next to nothing pay and get little recognition for the talent that is in the modified class. Sprint cars will always be the race car that is near and dear to my heart but I got to tell ya the modifieds are probably the most competive class out there. I know, I know this is a sprint car forum so I'll stop while I'm a head.
Last edited by john3g; 2/2/09 at 1:38 PM.

2/2/09, 2:01 PM   #17
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3g View Post
Well said and THANK YOU!!!! We in the mod class spend a ton of money for next to nothing pay and get little recognition for the talent that is in the modified class. Sprint cars will always be the race car that is near and dear to my heart but I got to tell ya the modifieds are probably the most competive class out there. I know, I know this is a sprint car forum so I'll stop while I'm a head.
In a place like Indiana, that has so many tracks that run sprints as their top class, much of that modified talent automatically percolates up. Now, this isn't to take anything away from the mods up there. They do put on a good show. Down here where they ARE the top class (as in many other areas, too) that very same talent that would otherwise be running sprint cars, as well as the teams and mechanical innovation, stays in the mods. Hell, we even have Paul White, former Silver Crown champion, driving a modified and a limited (sport) mod regularly here in the Houston area.

2/2/09, 4:44 PM   #18

crazy idea here, why not concider haveing the show at one of the other central indiana fairgrounds? Several have 3 buildings that would equal those 2 pretty easy. Then you could save parking and drop the admisison.

2/2/09, 4:53 PM   #19
Andrew S. Quinn

Another crazy idea. For a show that you want greenbacks traded for parts etc. how about a few ATM machines in the building ???

2/2/09, 5:24 PM   #20
throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
Another crazy idea. For a show that you want greenbacks traded for parts etc. how about a few ATM machines in the building ???
i know that the atm was there early in the day.........i guess it ran out of money because they came and got it about mid-day....

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Was the Expo a Success?