IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Little 500, Who's going?
5/27/18, 2:12 AM   #71
Re: Little 500, Who's going?
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Swanson, Three in a row dirt/pavement SC cars and Little 500 sprints, Came back from two major instances tonight to win, First pit stop they couldn't get the fuel in the tank and had to try three times before they got it. This put him two laps down, but most lost two when they pitted. So got most of that back when they pitted. Then runs three hundred laps, melts his own tires off, causes his own caution, goes two laps down, and with a couple yellows races his way back to the win.

Didn't get to see as many peeps as I'd like to of seen as we kinda went over too two and sat in the shade from practice until about a half hour till race time. Did see Steven and Alissa Cording, Fishinman and a few others, seen a few in Boespflug sprintweek shirts but didn't talk too em. Met some folks that went to the Burton race friday night and they were bragging how good that was.

I was in the Hoffman section rooting for Eric Gordon who did get to running really good, Right before he broke.. Mrs. Swanson was sitting up with us and it was easy who to cheer for after that, even though we were anyway..

Like I said, a lot of skill and a lot of luck to win this one. Swanson had a lot of both.

7 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Jbaldwin, Kydehart, mc/rider, PJ Wright, racer-x, tigerone
5/27/18, 10:34 AM   #72
revjimk

I liked my first Lil 5 but didn't love it. Too confusing, & cars didn't get sideways in the turns. I was pleasantly surprised that there were no wrecks between cars, just a few brushes with the wall. After about lap 425 (?) it started to make sense when 4 (Swanson) & 07 passed 20, but were still back a lap. Then I knew who to watch as both cars made up the lap & passed again. Last part was good as Swanson took the win.
Tenderloin sandwitches were great, I had 2!
Very interesting event, but I still greatly prefer dirt. On to Kokomo, L-burg & first 2 Midget Week races....can't believe I'm gonna miss Game 7 of Celtics/Cavs, hopefully can watch replay.
Thanks to Don & Ruth for their hospitality!!!!

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Kydehart, tirespinner
5/27/18, 10:56 AM   #73
revjimk

Plus seats were uncomfortable for such a long race.... left with a sore lower back & woke up with a stiff neck.
I know..... quit whining. Grateful I had a chance to attend & friends to hang out with!

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Kydehart
5/27/18, 11:07 AM   #74
racer-x

I couldn’t get the track radio station on my I phone so I got a little confused after Pierce and Hamilton fell back. I thought the race was even better then my first little 500 last year. From about lap 300 to 400 it was cool watching Swanson pass all those cars till he was out of tires!!!
Anyone have a idea of what happened to Tyler Roahrig ?He was in the top 5 and not sure what happened towards the end?

2 members like this post: Kydehart, tirespinner
5/27/18, 12:06 PM   #75
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
Plus seats were uncomfortable for such a long race.... left with a sore lower back & woke up with a stiff neck.
I know..... quit whining. Grateful I had a chance to attend & friends to hang out with!
Whats your feelings on new rope

5/27/18, 1:11 PM   #76
hoosierboy3

I don’t understand some of the rules. When Cottle, Armstrong and another car (I forget who), were involved in a spin early on in turns 3 and 4 they all came to a stop. I understand they count yellow flag laps. But Armstrong went several laps down (10-15) I believe, all because it took forever for the officials to get them straightened out and pushed off again. He still had one of the fastest cars all night but very difficult to make up that amount of laps. Wish they would kinda freeze the field or at least make them tag the tail under those circumstances

5/27/18, 4:14 PM   #77
interpreter66

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierboy3 View Post
I don’t understand some of the rules. When Cottle, Armstrong and another car (I forget who), were involved in a spin early on in turns 3 and 4 they all came to a stop. I understand they count yellow flag laps. But Armstrong went several laps down (10-15) I believe, all because it took forever for the officials to get them straightened out and pushed off again. He still had one of the fastest cars all night but very difficult to make up that amount of laps. Wish they would kinda freeze the field or at least make them tag the tail under those circumstances
The way the rules work,is exactly why it is so hard to win the emotion in kodys voice even though he won it before sums up how special it is!
Kody gave 2 different car owners their first wins also very cool
Race monitor is awesome for this race I knew where everybody was the whole race
Can't wait for next year🏁🏁🏁🏁🏁🏁
Last edited by interpreter66; 5/28/18 at 4:33 PM.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, PIT CART, tigerone
5/27/18, 5:22 PM   #78
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Several times I was a bit lost. Third place way right behind the leader and second place was a half lap back. Guy behind me had race monitor and clued me in a few times.

Speedshift will have a highlight vid in a couple days. Looking at some guys home video If you watch, When Kody finally spun because hit tires were just toast. He made sure to gas it and get pointed in the right direction. He then got pushed back of quickly because he was low and alone and instead of heading directly to the pits went back to his running position then pitted. With fresh tires he then passed the leaders at almost perfect times as yellows quickly fell after he did. Then being on the same lap, he simply had fresher tires than the 20 and 07

Really though I wish even the track would spell his name KODY on the scoreboard when congratualating him

2 members like this post: interpreter66, racer-x
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Little 500, Who's going?