IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tire Rule Question
2/3/17, 11:24 AM   #51
hairracer44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces&Eights View Post
How about, "run whatever tire compound/brand you want, but you gotta run it all night, with optional RR change for feature."
Now this is a tire rule, not you must run a brand and compound. Pick your poison and live or die by your choice. If you cut a tire the same brand and compound goes back on the car.

1 member likes this post: Leohr46
2/3/17, 5:01 PM   #52
treecitytornado

Several sanctioning bodies already make you run the same RR for the Heat and Feature. SOD now mandates the left rear tire size for the whole night and the Right Rear is much smaller that we run too!

2/3/17, 5:44 PM   #53
Re: Tire Rule Question
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
Several sanctioning bodies already make you run the same RR for the Heat and Feature. SOD now mandates the left rear tire size for the whole night and the Right Rear is much smaller that we run too!
I wouldn't care for that, making me run a specific setup, ie setting the stagger/roll out is a non-starter for me. Might as well make everybody run the same car and engine and call it IROC.

2/3/17, 10:50 PM   #54
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
Don't worry old timer, I was not offended. I understand that you don't like change and think that all track promoters are basking in a ton of profits. There is a reason that more tracks close every year than open up every year. There is a reason that the failure rate of new promoters is so high. It is a tough business. If they can make a rule that generates money and makes rule enforcement easier, they would be foolish not to look at it. Plus, there is a population of people that actually think a spec rule helps the racers save money. (See the post a couple pages back about the good old days of teams having a larger selection of tires because each brand worked better for a particular track)

I will let you ponder this while you are watching your Lawrence Welk reruns............
I never claimed Promoters were basking in profit. If anything, I think I said there were other ways than just mandating a four corner rule. If H brand give the track 20K a year. Why not have HOOSIER VICTORY LANE, Use Purple Chalk for the Start line. Place H banners all over and let the product speak for weather the racers buy em or not.

How about naming a couple races for the big sponsor. The HOOSIER TIRE, CLASH. FALL NATIONALS etc.

2/4/17, 12:39 AM   #55
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I never claimed Promoters were basking in profit. If anything, I think I said there were other ways than just mandating a four corner rule. If H brand give the track 20K a year. Why not have HOOSIER VICTORY LANE, Use Purple Chalk for the Start line. Place H banners all over and let the product speak for weather the racers buy em or not.

How about naming a couple races for the big sponsor. The HOOSIER TIRE, CLASH. FALL NATIONALS etc.
Because the tire companies are running a business not a charity. The tire company gives the track money because the track is selling their tires.

2/4/17, 10:28 AM   #56
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

That's fine and all. So if X brand shocks does the same, Do all the cars have to use X brand as well?

It's not about change, It's about making it more expensive for the racers. Exclusive rather than inclusive.

It's Sprint cars, You know, Run what ya brung? The Author of this thread build his own Sprinter. What's next, He have to run Maxim's?

I really don't know what your argument for the rule is?
Do you realize about half the cars at each show only make another show because they can do it 50 dollars here and there cheaper than the top teams. They know they don't have much realistic chance in winning. But they do what they can with what they have. And many times they surprise you with 18th to 3rd runs etc.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 2/4/17 at 11:25 AM.

2 members like this post: CSmith66, MKTQ17
2/4/17, 11:02 AM   #57
Chris Baue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
That's fine and all. So if X brand shocks does the same, Do all the cars have to use X brand as well?

It's not about change, It's about making it more expensive for the racers. Exclusive rather than inclusive

It's Sprint cars, You know, Run what ya brung? The Author of this thread build his own Sprinter. What's next, He have to run Maxim's?
If they thought they could get away with it! Lol

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Tom23
2/4/17, 12:42 PM   #58
Eric Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
SOD has a single "spec" RR and a single "spec" LR. One tire, one size, one compound. No option. You can change them as often as you want all night. They are much smaller than regular sprint car tires. They are quite a bit less expensive than regular sprint car tires.

2/4/17, 1:55 PM   #59
treecitytornado

That's what I meant. Other than stretching tires or getting slightly different chalk marks to start with, your stagger is pretty much set for the night.

2/4/17, 4:49 PM   #60
2rock21

It may just be Indiana pride.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tire Rule Question