IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Usac tracsafe initiative aimed at quicker safety respo
12/10/16, 12:32 AM   #11
Re: Usac: Usac tracsafe initiative aimed at quicker safety r
Bad Dad 54

Will the Medical Information feature be Driver optional?

Good idea is to have medical info for every one on your team quickly available to medical personnel, clergies can be put right on the helmet. What bothers me at track is removing the helmet, if drivers breathing ok leave it on. If drivers going to hospital the Drs will probably wanna see it anyways. If helmet took a shot it may look ok but the protective foam under may be crushed & no good anymore Be safe gang, somebody wants you at home Merry CHRISTmas

12/10/16, 9:33 AM   #12
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad 54 View Post
Will the Medical Information feature be Driver optional?

Good idea is to have medical info for every one on your team quickly available to medical personnel, clergies can be put right on the helmet. What bothers me at track is removing the helmet, if drivers breathing ok leave it on. If drivers going to hospital the Drs will probably wanna see it anyways. If helmet took a shot it may look ok but the protective foam under may be crushed & no good anymore Be safe gang, somebody wants you at home Merry CHRISTmas
Didn't WOO start using the helmet barcode stickers this past season? I'm not sure what people are getting worked up about, what, invasion of privacy? Doesn't it make sense to have your medical information readily available in case you get hurt?
I was at the short track safety seminar at PRI yesterday and heard some good, thoughtful discourse from a few guys most of us know and respect; Brian Gerster, Kevin Swindell, Tony Stewart and Davey Hamilton as well as Dr's Terry Trammel and Steve Olvey; the topics of this thread and many other subjects were covered and it was fascinating to hear 4 elite open-wheel racers, all who have been seriously hurt in racing accidents, speak openly and frankly about the things that can be done to make our sport safer. It gave me a whole new level of respect for these guys.
At the end of the seminar, Stand 21 demonstrated a new headsock with an integral device that allows a helmet to be lifted off the driver's head with little impact to the cervical spine; it's not a perfect answer but it is proof that there are people out there who are constantly striving to improve all of our chances of surviving (or even avoiding) a catastrophic accident.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 12/10/16 at 9:34 AM.

12/12/16, 7:25 AM   #13
HDINDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6967 View Post
there no longer open cockpit, why not put wheel protectors on them? if you are going to add tail lights might as well add wheel protectors, plus they would truly be safer. everyone knows that wheel protectors would definitely be a sure why of cutting down on accidents. I did not say fenders.
Curb finders?

1 member likes this post: the visitor
12/12/16, 9:52 AM   #14
scottyCbus

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 18

Any kind of safety enhancement is plus no matter what it is. There's only one way to make racing 100 percent safe and that's not to race at all! None of us want that! If your not trying to make racing safer for all involved from the fan's to the track to race officials to the pits to crews to the drivers then your just not being realistic. I applaud anyone trying to make improvements.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jdull99
12/12/16, 11:07 AM   #15
v8j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
They did that once, It was called Gold Crown. Little hint, They still crashed.
And they Failed

12/12/16, 12:24 PM   #16
racer-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
Didn't WOO start using the helmet barcode stickers this past season? I'm not sure what people are getting worked up about, what, invasion of privacy? Doesn't it make sense to have your medical information readily available in case you get hurt?
I was at the short track safety seminar at PRI yesterday and heard some good, thoughtful discourse from a few guys most of us know and respect; Brian Gerster, Kevin Swindell, Tony Stewart and Davey Hamilton as well as Dr's Terry Trammel and Steve Olvey; the topics of this thread and many other subjects were covered and it was fascinating to hear 4 elite open-wheel racers, all who have been seriously hurt in racing accidents, speak openly and frankly about the things that can be done to make our sport safer. It gave me a whole new level of respect for these guys.
At the end of the seminar, Stand 21 demonstrated a new headsock with an integral device that allows a helmet to be lifted off the driver's head with little impact to the cervical spine; it's not a perfect answer but it is proof that there are people out there who are constantly striving to improve all of our chances of surviving (or even avoiding) a catastrophic accident.
I think Indy car and AMA pro motocross were using something like a small airbag or balloon on the top of your head inside the helmet. Then a airline was ran to the outside of the helmet were a safety worker could connect it with air and the helmet would push off instead of being pulled off.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Usac tracsafe initiative aimed at quicker safety respo