IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Hoosier All 4 Rule
3/20/16, 11:40 PM   #41
wideopen24

It's a shame that "Promotors" can't promote their facility and events like we have to promote our race teams in order to find marketing partners. There is no reason a race track can't find enough money in their local community to pay the points fund and even bring in major/ corporate partners for special events. Any rule implemented should be for the betterment of the racers providing the product/ show that the promoters profit from. I agree all manufactures should be able to produce a tire within set guidelines and if this were the case those company's could all market their product by sponsoring tracks, teams, etc.

IF they are getting more money from Hoosier almost all the tracks mentioned could use new clay and one specifically should hire a watering crew 😉

6 members like this post: DirtHawk92, jim goerge, MEAT, MKTQ17, Morin98, nonwing77
3/21/16, 12:13 AM   #42
KMS2683

In California almost all series have had this rule. It is even at the micro level. It sucks and some have tried to get the series and tracks to move away from this rule, but the revenue always wins. What does this rule do? It makes racers pay $250 for sprint car RR that is worth $150 and similar cost increases for the other three corners. The only racer that benefits from the points fund is the points champion. No one else gets enough money at the end of the season to pay for the cost of tires. I hate monopolies

4 members like this post: DirtHawk92, Leohr46, MKTQ17, trecraft
3/21/16, 8:30 AM   #43
Re: New Hoosier All 4 Rule
bobby01

i'm only familiar with the midget tires but the price difference between the purple tires and the red, white and blue tires is huge. The price difference is between 60 and 85 dollars each.
So as everybody can see it doesn't take long for the tire dealer and the purple guys to be way ahead on there 1000 to 1500 investment and the racer just keeps taking in the shorts.

3 members like this post: DirtHawk92, TQ29m, trecraft
3/21/16, 8:34 AM   #44
Graham08

I'm glad to see Waynesfield has backed off of the "four Hoosiers" rule. I help with a car that normally runs the BOSS series on American Racers and that rule kept us away from non-BOSS races in the past. The thing these tracks need to understand is to switch from one brand to another, it's not just four tires. It's more like 5 or 6 (two fronts, a RR, and 2 or 3 LR's) in order to have a couple choices of stagger to keep the car handling as the track slicks off over the course of the night.

We can somewhat understand a spec right rear and have raced at tracks that have a RR rule, but specifying all four will keep us away due to the cost involved.

If they were really trying to help the racers, they would do what Aaron has done with the BOSS deal and get Hoosier and American Racer to put up bonuses for running all four of one brand and let the market decide.

4 members like this post: DirtHawk92, flatout, PIT CART, trecraft
3/21/16, 8:34 AM   #45
WhiteCarRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
JT, I have question. Do you get a deal on American Racer tires or do they cost the same for you and you just prefer them? When racers get a discount on tires, other racers pay for them.
Brent, I have a question. So how many tires do you buy. Joe Roush

7 members like this post: bsmith8, CSmith66, Dirtfan, hoosier race fan, kcarm92, ossuks, TQ29m
3/21/16, 11:05 AM   #46
Stuckwieser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
JT, I have question. Do you get a deal on American Racer tires or do they cost the same for you and you just prefer them? When racers get a discount on tires, other racers pay for them.
That sounds like Bernie Sanders entitlement plan.

4 members like this post: Dirtfan, lukesmith, PIT CART, TQ29m
3/21/16, 11:54 AM   #47
Blacki-Suede

Just an "old" promoter adding his two cents worth. To the best of my knowledge, back in the dark ages, late 70's - early 80's there were no tire rules. There were a few safety rules, but except for USAC, IMCA, etc. it was run what you brung. I always felt the fewer rules I had to enforce the better it was for me and the competitors. Back then, just like today, except on rare occasions, the teams with the most money ran up front. If tire rules are designed to save teams money, it won't work because what you save a team in one area they will just spend in another area. If promoters are making money off of tire rules they are promoting the wrong thing. Sponsorship, advertising, contingency money, are all good, but getting in bed with a manufacture ??? Oh for simpler times.

BTW: Lawrenceburg did have a tire rule for late models back then. It was an 11 inch max tire width. A simple go-no go gage was used to check the heat race winners, and the feature winner at the start finish line. Want to run a 13 inch that you had laying around? No problem, just don't win. Never had a disqualification. The stock Corvette I am driving has 13 inch tires on the back, ti

3/21/16, 11:58 AM   #48
Blacki-Suede

Didn't get to finish. The stock Corvette I am driving has 13 inch wide tires on the back, times have changed.

3/21/16, 12:56 PM   #49
4wheelsinthekoosh

Ya I'm a purple guy have been since high school and that was 20 years ago. Glad they did it. Takes one of the excuses away from the driver if everyone's on the same tire. 98% of the drivers complaining here have a lot of them excuses that is. It's simple if you don't like it don't go. You probably were not going to go anyways just needed that extra push and something to whine about. I can't wait until tracks and tire companies have to give out trophies and winner stickers to everyone so they can feel good about showing up. Why is there so much damn complaining these days. The world is not fair deal with it take your lumps and move on. Don't complain and try and drag hoosier though the mud go beating on the door of your tire companies asking them why they are not stepping up. Ask them why they are not trying to get tracks themselves or at least work deals with the tracks so they can run both. Don't blame hoosier for trying to make money. The tracks don't owe you a thing. No one does.

3/21/16, 1:49 PM   #50
chastaj

Its cost me approx $500/night to run my car the last couple years and I went through 10 tires all year. Even if tires cost $50 more that's just one night i need to stay home to pay the difference, and then can run anywhere I want vs complain. Has anyone followed how many tracks have closed in the last 10 years. Its a business, and businesses must make $ to stay in existence. What if tracks open the tire rule up, but start charging $40-50 entry fees to cover what manufacturers are paying them???? Bottom line is you will pay one way or the other

1 member likes this post: tdt636
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Hoosier All 4 Rule