IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kentucky Speedway statement on traffic
7/9/11, 9:45 PM   #1
Kentucky Speedway statement on traffic
Vukie

Nate Ryan

On Sunday 10th July 2011, @nateryan said:

Kentucky Speedway statement on traffic: General Manager Mark Simendinger says, "We’ve had an overwhelming response to our inaugural NASCAR Sprint Cup Series “Quaker State400.” We know we had challenges related to traffic. We’re already planning improvements and looking forward to a much better situation for next year’s event."

They turned ticket holders away because of no parking.

RT@jim_utter Jim Utter
by pressdog
Ky. Senate Pres. David Williams never made it to @KySpeedway due to traffic. Left Frankfort at 2 p.m. Frankfort is 45 min. away. #NASCAR
Last edited by Vukie; 7/9/11 at 10:09 PM.

7/9/11, 10:22 PM   #2
Re: Kentucky Speedway statement on traffic
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I hope the traffic mess has cleared before I drive past there tomorrow afternoon on the way to Lawrenceburg. :2: There may be people still trying to get out of that place at daylight.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, rdzsprint
7/10/11, 12:35 AM   #3
lazyifoto

I don't know nothin about nothin,,,but when they showed the track and parking area's from the helicopter view there was a whole lot of grass visible . They should have parked the cars a hole lot tighter. All of the news shows and radio programs was telling people to get there early...It's a shame they had a bad experience...hopefully its better next year.

7/10/11, 12:47 AM   #4
racerdog45

on the way home WLW700 was talking about it, said 3-6 hours getting in only to be turned away with no choice, now looking like up to 6 hours to get out.... went once for a Busch race and when they said they were adding a Cup race PLUS adding 50,000 seats I knew this would be a must miss event, was a mess getting out of a Busch race......... think I'll hit the IndyCar race if I can find someone wants to go...lol

7/10/11, 7:08 AM   #5
REH24

This place was a nightmare from day one from parking to camping plus the crazy rules. I remember one race they advertised parking lots open @ 8:00 am but won't let you park until 9:00 AM and gates to open @ 10:00 AM but won't let you in until 11:00 AM one of many reasons I didn't renew my season tickets after 3 years. This is the only place that called me when I didn't renew my tickets asking why. I am sure Bruton Smith will make sure everything will be in order next year pertaining to parking and traffic problems and make good on the fans that didn't get in the track to see the race yesterday. All those fans that were sitting in traffic I know your pain as I have been there but no more for me.

REH

1 member likes this post: tricky3t33
7/10/11, 8:11 AM   #6
aka Liz

At the IndyCar race two years ago we were stuck in the infield for 2 1/2 hours, a delightful experience, There's no way I'm ever parking in the infield for this year's race, I'd rather park two miles away and walk.

I feel bad for those who had tickets for last night's race and could not get in, that had to be absolutely frustrating.

7/10/11, 8:18 AM   #7
Gregg

I figured this would be bad. Historically we always had a problem there. A Cup race and over 107,000 is like bad on steroids.

I passed.

7/10/11, 11:54 AM   #8
Eric C

My so left indy at noon, should have took 3 hours to get there, got in thir seats at lap 170, he is to say the least P....d

Eric Cottongim

7/10/11, 12:42 PM   #9
ISF

Whoa, what a mess. I remember back in the late 1990's at Michigan for the June Cup race we had some people who got to their seats next to us with about 27 laps to go due to traffic problems. There must have been 20,000 people who missed the green flag and it wasn't for heading for the track too late. The people next to us said they had left Rochester, MI at before 6 AM. You talk about some PO'd people. Yikes!!

Bruton's boy's got some splainin' to do in this latest fiasco. Turning ticket holders away because of insufficient parking makes the July 3rd fiasco at THAT look like a minor misjudgement. If they don't more than make it right with the folks who were turned away there will likely be legal repercussions I reckon.

7/10/11, 5:11 PM   #10
tricky3t33

they have had way to many years to get this place ready for sprint cup race.i sat in traffic for 3 hours to just go 3 miles!parked my car on the side of the road and walked another 3 miles to get to the race track.walking on the main road into race track,i could see alot of EMPTY parking places that they could have parked alot more cars and 4 dollors for a bottle of HOT water.i will never ever go back to that place again!!some people did not even get to see the race.i fill very sorry for those people the most.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kentucky Speedway statement on traffic