IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Trophys for Duquoin D II Midgets
1/26/15, 3:33 PM   #41
Re: Trophys for Duquoin D II Midgets
DAD

Jim

OK who the heck are we going to Pawn off "Lightning Sprint" to.

Honest Dad himself

1/26/15, 3:46 PM   #42
cbaumeyer48

Who cares.... I agree with Jim, we need to separate ourselves from the "mini sprint" label.... We don't have antennaes and remote controls.

2 members like this post: jjones752, Wayne Davis
1/26/15, 3:51 PM   #43
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Jim

OK who the heck are we going to Pawn off "Lightning Sprint" to.

Honest Dad himself
Maybe reserve it for the Electric Sprint Car; may happen sooner than we can imagine...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

1 member likes this post: DAD
1/26/15, 4:13 PM   #44
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaumeyer48 View Post
Who cares.... I agree with Jim, we need to separate ourselves from the "mini sprint" label.... We don't have antennaes and remote controls.
Chris

We have been accused of that kind of stuff in the past.

Honest Dad himself

1/27/15, 2:39 AM   #45
cbaumeyer48

K

1/27/15, 12:26 PM   #46
microsprint15

My point of view (as a race fan)...

I would be very disappointed if I spent my hard earned money to attend an advertised "Midget" event, to only find out it is actually a Mini Sprint/Lightning Sprint race. This does not mean that I don't enjoy watching Mini/Lightning Sprints. The FACT is, what is currently nationally known as a Midget, is completely different than a Mini Sprint.

I have watched numerous Mini Sprint races at tracks across the US. I have seen several good races, but Mini Sprints are NOT Midgets. When I attend a Midget race, I am expecting bonzai slide jobs and cars pounding the cushion on the edge of disaster at tracks like Kokomo, Little Belleville, and Macon. Allthough Mini Sprints can and do provide great racing, it simply is not the same...

Find a name everyone agrees on and promote and embrace it. Let people be suprised and intrigued with product they get an a Lightning/Mini Sprint Event.

Of course, this is just one guy's opinion...

-Ryan Leek

2 members like this post: Leohr46, Sandy Lowe
1/27/15, 12:27 PM   #47
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by red70racer View Post
I'm Not certain how a trophy conversation drifted to a rules conversation
We will be there with our 1175 lb Ecotec representing BAM
For the chain gang that might not care for the shaft guys stinking up their show, we ran with the now defunct OMMS with a "national midget" along with others and got our butts whipped on many ocasion
It's not as much about horsepower as it is about setup and driver

Jeff

That animosity thing about chain drive guys had for shaft drive guys was just a joke leveled at the several shaft drive groups that look down on chain drive race cars..

A few years ago Terry Eaglin with "The King of the TQ's" and Bill May with the "MMSA" decided to have a TQ and 1000cc Mini Sprint show down.

They decided to have this race at the "Bull Calf Ring" track at Madison Indiana. For people who have never been there I would describe it as little>> shinny>> and it has very tight turns. I would say it is like Du Quoin with less bank and 50 foot longer straights, and Du Quoin having a wider racing surface.

I generally am a pretty laid back and composed observer. Well after lap #1 I stood up for the entire race. There was actually two races in one, the little cars didn't have much for us but between us racing with our selves and they racing with one another then us fighting our way back through them while they were racing one another it was exciting.

I hope that at Du Quoin there will only be one very exciting race.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/27/15 at 12:46 PM.

1/27/15, 12:56 PM   #48
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by microsprint15 View Post
My point of view (as a race fan)...

I would be very disappointed if I spent my hard earned money to attend an advertised "Midget" event, to only find out it is actually a Mini Sprint/Lightning Sprint race. This does not mean that I don't enjoy watching Mini/Lightning Sprints. The FACT is, what is currently nationally known as a Midget, is completely different than a Mini Sprint.

I have watched numerous Mini Sprint races at tracks across the US. I have seen several good races, but Mini Sprints are NOT Midgets. When I attend a Midget race, I am expecting bonzai slide jobs and cars pounding the cushion on the edge of disaster at tracks like Kokomo, Little Belleville, and Macon. Allthough Mini Sprints can and do provide great racing, it simply is not the same...

Find a name everyone agrees on and promote and embrace it. Let people be suprised and intrigued with product they get an a Lightning/Mini Sprint Event.

Of course, this is just one guy's opinion...

-Ryan Leek
Ryan

If you like them right front front hiking cars come on down they are on the card also. Them guys already Hi Jacked Mini Sprint.

You get what you pay for? Have you ever tried on a bigger car for size??

We did a lot of racing up at US 24 probably before your time and I remember our times being faster than the 600cc cars. I also remember Doug running his 1000cc car up on the cushion in turn 3 and 4 and completely emptying out the Bleachers set up there for the race fans.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/27/15 at 1:12 PM.

1/27/15, 1:30 PM   #49
microsprint15

I have been racing at US24 for the last 25 years. The Mini Sprints are NOT faster now, and have never been faster than the micros in the last 25 years. I have no interest in debating about the difference in a micro and a mini sprint, but I do have a problem with false advertisment.

I will be at DuQuoin, with my 6 year old son and his Junior Sprint. Look me up if you wish...

1 member likes this post: DAD
1/27/15, 1:42 PM   #50
DAD

Ryan

Like I said the Junior sprints are worth the price of admission! And I meant that. Lets see how all of these Midget size race cars race together. Just maybe the folks in southern Illinois who don't get to see too many National Midget shows just might enjoy the show for what it is and we can always fall back on the kids in the Junior Sprints. Since you will already be there watch our race if you get the chance. I'll be that older guy with the black #37 car. What is your car #?

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/27/15 at 1:52 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Trophys for Duquoin D II Midgets