IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Help!!! Urine colored methanol
8/12/13, 9:19 PM   #1
Help!!! Urine colored methanol
griffithracing

I ran my car for the 1st them Saturday nite. Motor ran good for about 10 laps and started missing bad. Today I dug into it and the nozzles were dirty. So dirty that I believe that was the miss.

While cracking the lines for the bypasses and main pill I noticed this color of methanol. Notice attached pic... Now my inlet to the fuel pump was opened and it was slightly cloudy but not this color.

Is their something in the fuel pump that could've cause this?!

Help!
Bill

Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images
image.jpg (529.3 KB, 146 views)

8/12/13, 9:40 PM   #2
PatrickMead#13

Was your pump just rebuilt? If so, was it "packed" with assembly lube / grease? I only ask because I had a pump done years ago and the rebuilder packed it with grease for a non dry break in. Best of luck finding the source of the issue.

Posted via Mobile Device

8/13/13, 6:34 AM   #3
Re: Help!!! Urine colored methanol
jasonwess

I was thinking the same thing or maybe some new fuel delivery component that’s not methanol compatible

8/13/13, 9:01 AM   #4
TQ29m

I ran into some like this several years ago, several drivers brought samples to me to ck, and the best I could determine was it was old fuel, or perhaps something other than methel alcohol, it had a smell about like cider, and was stickey to the feel, and the deal was, they had bought it from the same person at Ft Wayne indoor race. I'd giver er a thourough cleaning, flush with known good stuff, and it will take a while for it to get out of all the nooks and crannies it can find it's way into. If you do a water test on it, it will just get worse, indicating it is well over 50% water already. Good luck! I ck every bbl I buy, a good alcohol hydrometer is a cheap way to keep this from happening. Bob

8/13/13, 3:43 PM   #5
griffithracing

Thanks all for the info! I'm gonna clean everything good and I'm thinking it was some sort of stuff in the pump like you thought. The nozzles had some sort of grainy stuff so hopefully after everything's cleaned ill be good to go!

Posted via Mobile Device

8/13/13, 5:39 PM   #6
sprntr

Sir,

I hate to tell you, but judging from that sample, your Horse is pregnant!

steiny

2 members like this post: fasster23, griffithracing
8/13/13, 6:56 PM   #7
Bill84

Race Count This Year: 17
Race Count Last Year: 13

Was the system purged the last time it ran? If the fuel filters and pump were full of gasoline from the purge, and it was allowed to circulate with the new alky, that could explain the color and the missing.

Bill

8/13/13, 8:18 PM   #8
griffithracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprntr View Post
Sir,

I hate to tell you, but judging from that sample, your Horse is pregnant!

steiny
Good. I need a back up car anyways!!! Hahaha

Posted via Mobile Device

8/13/13, 9:06 PM   #9
racenut69

Someone flunked their drug test..

8/14/13, 9:43 AM   #10
microsprint15

I had a bladder tank a few years ago that always seemed to turn my fuel this color. I bought fuel from multiple suppliers and washed the bladder out numerous times, but never solved the problem. That being said, the car ran fine and eventually I just ignored it.

-Ryan

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Help!!! Urine colored methanol