IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Prices On These Sprint/Midget Rental Programs
12/14/09, 11:56 AM   #1
Prices On These Sprint/Midget Rental Programs
jrodallred27

What's the deal with these Sprint/Midget Rental Program prices? I see why it's so hard to get into this sport now, people can't afford these per race prices of $4,000-$8,000 dollars. I understand the cost associated with running in Sprint and Midget Races, but it would be cheaper to buy your own Kit and do everything yourself. Now, granted, there is a few guys that charge $500 to $1500, which is great, that's reasonable and very fair. But A person who wanted to get into Sprint/Midget Racing can't afford to pay $4,000 plus per race. And it's the big boys who charge the least is what is funny. Clauson,Kruseman,Kuhn will set you up for around $1000-$3000 per race, and these are top teams. All I can say is do your research.

Jarod

12/14/09, 12:19 PM   #2
Re: Prices On These Sprint/Midget Rental Programs
wbr

Jarod,
It is unfortunate that supply and demand are at work here. All of those $$$ cars seem to get rented each year with a line of people on stand-by in case someone backs out.
It certainly wasn't always like this but it probably won't be going away anytime soon either.

I was going to reply to your thread on getting started in pavement sprints but felt there are way more experienced people that should answer your questions. If you aren't getting any answers, we can talk sometime. Please pm me.

12/14/09, 1:44 PM   #3
lilrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodallred27 View Post
What's the deal with these Sprint/Midget Rental Program prices? I see why it's so hard to get into this sport now, people can't afford these per race prices of $4,000-$8,000 dollars. I understand the cost associated with running in Sprint and Midget Races, but it would be cheaper to buy your own Kit and do everything yourself. Now, granted, there is a few guys that charge $500 to $1500, which is great, that's reasonable and very fair. But A person who wanted to get into Sprint/Midget Racing can't afford to pay $4,000 plus per race. And it's the big boys who charge the least is what is funny. Clauson,Kruseman,Kuhn will set you up for around $1000-$3000 per race, and these are top teams. All I can say is do your research.

Jarod
You think 4-8k is expensive to show up and drive.?

I guess you could always go and buy or build ure own stuff
roller 8k-12k..?
Buy a competitive motor 15-25k minimum.
dont forget the truck and trailer....$$$$
dont forget shop space, it's not free either!
pit cart
spares
4-wheeler
what else is there.. fuel, generator, tires, crew...the list goes on..

put in 100k and u might be ready to go race ure 1st sprint car races!
Good luck!!

2 members like this post: buck2, mowerman
12/14/09, 1:49 PM   #4
AustinSprinter

Race Count This Year: (22)
Race Count Last Year: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodallred27 View Post

Jarod
Think you're refur'n to Keith Kunz' instead of Brad Kuhn!!.......

12/14/09, 2:39 PM   #5
jrodallred27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrim View Post
You think 4-8k is expensive to show up and drive.?

I guess you could always go and buy or build ure own stuff
roller 8k-12k..?
Buy a competitive motor 15-25k minimum.
dont forget the truck and trailer....$$$$
dont forget shop space, it's not free either!
pit cart
spares
4-wheeler
what else is there.. fuel, generator, tires, crew...the list goes on..

put in 100k and u might be ready to go race ure 1st sprint car races!
Good luck!!
Not going to cost 100 grand, I already have my own shop and my own truck and trailer, I can buy a roller for $5000, motor for $10,000, and put $10,000 in team account to run on and that would be cheaper than running 4 races with a rent and ride program.

12/14/09, 3:50 PM   #6
race88

You've forgotten the biggest cost of racing in both your plans.....the expense of that crash in the turn one pileup...Iam looking forward to your book...'How I Won a National Midget Title on $25000'..could be a best seller

12/14/09, 4:04 PM   #7
thunder31

Quote:
Originally Posted by race88 View Post
You've forgotten the biggest cost of racing in both your plans.....the expense of that crash in the turn one pileup...Iam looking forward to your book...'How I Won a National Midget Title on $25000'..could be a best seller
This kind of stuff is why more people aren't getting into sprint car racing. A guy could easily go and have fun at Paragon in a car for $25,000. He won't set the world on fire and he will crash some and tear up some parts but he will have fun and learn a lot. The guy can then build from there if he has the funds or just race on a local level. You don't have to win a National Title to have fun in a midget or sprint car. We should encourage guys to go out there and give it a try on their own instead of always bringing up the huge cost that its gonna take to win a USAC race or something. It don't cost $100,000 to race a sprint car but if you want to buy a car to win a big race and compete at a high level all year then ya. Just my take on the stuff I see on here most of the time.

1 member likes this post: hairracer44
12/14/09, 4:13 PM   #8
RichC

FWIW,

One benefit that you can't put a price tag on is experience. With any of the rental options you mentioned you gain team experience. They know how to set the car up and make the needed changes. Most of the rental programs are structured so that you show up with a helmet bag, strap in and go. The car is already prepared, set up and staffed with crew.

It seems to me that you are looking for a bit of a DIY type approach. As with any DIY approach whether it be tiling your bath or whatever, you might be able to save yourself some money. But if you do it wrong, you will end up costing yourself more money than if you had just hired someone. Seems to me that you'd prefer to use your own equipment and "buy" some experience/knowledge. I'd suggest you hire an experienced person and work out an arrangement to point/keep you headed in the right direction. There's a number of people who will be happy to take your money and blow smoke up your behind so make sure you choose well.

1 member likes this post:
12/14/09, 4:36 PM   #9
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSprinter View Post
Think you're refur'n to Keith Kunz' instead of Brad Kuhn!!.......

https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=24857
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 12/14/09 at 4:39 PM.

1 member likes this post:
12/14/09, 5:13 PM   #10
midgetmaniac

These top drivers and teams will put you in a good car at a fair price to run a race , however if you want to or think you want to run wheel to wheel with them it will cost more. You know they have spent looooooooooong hours at tracks and the garage to go faster than others, so to get ahead of the others, and get their knowledge , you're gonna have to pay up.

1 member likes this post: Eric C
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Prices On These Sprint/Midget Rental Programs