IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > that updates
9/15/09, 2:59 PM   #151
Re: that updates
ThrowbackRacingTeam

thanks for clearing it up, at least i had the fact that it was sweets car right my apologies to anyone affiliated with triple x, maybe its maxim that needs to look in the mirror and do some self-evaluating! the point is really that the cars are getting to be made too cheaply to squeeze every buck out that they can. Anyway, back on subject...im on the fence about the whole pitting on the inside thing, it is awfully cool seeing the teams work on the cars in between races like the old-times, however in todays racing the convenience of having your hauler there is almost necessary. I'll concede this one to the car owners, back when they did this no one had huge 18 wheelers and it wasn't such a hassle. I vote that we drop this subject and move on, who's with me?

By the way, great ideas Rob, I like the way you think, the track you would build hopefully would be a half-mile? Right?
Joe Stroehle
Last edited by ThrowbackRacingTeam; 9/15/09 at 3:03 PM.

9/15/09, 7:50 PM   #152
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

[QUOTE=Fisher79;135252]If I'm Mike King: "That's fine, load your ******* up and don't come back."

I don't understand the ********. With all the work and hours these cars require through the week, what's another 20 minutes to unload in the interest of tradition and the fans' enjoyment?

Derek,

I don't imagine that the crews & drivers mind the front end 20 minutes or so. I think they don't like the backend (end of the show) time it takes to load up and leave. How many tracks that pit outside have you seen cars that failed to make the feature, wrecked, etc; load up and leave before the feature is even They have been spoiled by that alone. Then when the feature is over, the fans start coming down and many don't want the interuption that it causes. I guess crews more so than drivers. JMO.

Also while we are on the subject. I know that the enclosed trailors are a much better car hauler than the old open trailers were. However, with that being said, I grew up in an era where little kids stood by the road on Friday and Saturday night to see the car "haulers" drive by. Many pestered their mom and dad into going to the races to see what it was all about. Another tradition long gone. I guess I am getting old and cantankerous.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

9/15/09, 8:10 PM   #153
terrehautian

How many new fans were made at THAT this past year and this year with the pitting on the infield? I heard a few stories of drivers playing with the fans on the infield. I understand the safety issue, so all good things must come to an end.

As for the open trailer, I believe Rose in the 1x (or 9x), came in a open trailer with a tool box strapped down this past weekend. I talked to him a few minutes in the pits and he was trying to make it a point that someone in an open trailer can win, too bad he hit the front stretch wall. This was when the wrecker took some time to get to him. Does the wrecker have a track radio? They seemed to be looking around for it also as he hit in a dark spot.

9/15/09, 8:42 PM   #154
Wallsracing

Race Count This Year: 54
Race Count Last Year: 37

that was kurt gross from washinton indiana the offical parts supplier for mscs sprints.he usally has a big rig with a 53 ft trailer but washington being about 1 hr away i dont blame him i talked to him a few years back he seems like a pretty nice guy..remember seeing him at the old burg takin a wild ride down the backstretch..also talke to him with risky brisky and sat with us in the lounge
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

elephant run lounge at chilibowl that is ...lol i hate cell phones always getting in a hurry typin
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

lots of flats seemed like even push truck got a flat
Posted via Mobile Device

9/15/09, 8:47 PM   #155
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

[QUOTE=Fisher79;135252]If I'm Mike King: "That's fine, load your ******* up and don't come back."

I guess its a good thing for all of us that you are not Mike King?

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

1 member likes this post: SprintManDave
9/15/09, 8:58 PM   #156
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinisprintfan View Post
It's the smart move from a safety stand point. The shortness of the wall between the pits and the track on the frontstretch and the closeness of the crews to the track always seemed to me as being a dangerous situation. It wouldn't take much for a car to get over it and go right into a group of cars and crew members.
I remember pitting on the front stretch at Williams Grove with nothing between us and the track. That was in the early 60s. Do I also remember pitting that way at Terre Haute in the 70s, or was there a little wall there? Whatever it was, it wasn't much.

A few years ago, Williams Grove cut a pit out of the infield that is big enough that the haulers can park, facing in to the infield, and still leave room to work on the cars, with a push-off lane outside that. Then, there is a wall, topped by a fence, between the push-off lane and the track. It is really nice for the fans on the front stretch to be able to see the cars being maintained, and look right down into the trailers.

However, even with all that, they have had a car get into the pits off the front stretch.

9/15/09, 9:00 PM   #157
Rpracing1

Quote:
Also while we are on the subject. I know that the enclosed trailors are a much better car hauler than the old open trailers were. However, with that being said, I grew up in an era where little kids stood by the road on Friday and Saturday night to see the car "haulers" drive by. Many pestered their mom and dad into going to the races to see what it was all about. Another tradition long gone. I guess I am getting old and cantankerous.
Mudpacker...............Every time I see a car hauler rolling down the highway, my eyes STILL gravitate towards that hauler to see if I can tell who it is or what kind of car is behide the walls of the trailer. I think it is an incurable disease........

9/15/09, 9:08 PM   #158
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
Mudpacker...............Every time I see a car hauler rolling down the highway, my eyes STILL gravitate towards that hauler to see if I can tell who it is or what kind of car is behide the walls of the trailer. I think it is an incurable disease........
Bob,

I am definitely in the incurable stage. I know with all of the theft that goes on now days, many teams choose not to have any type of decals, logos, sponsorship ads, driver names, car numbers, etc on their haulers and trailers. I often wonder when driving down the road just exactly what type of race car is in that plain white car hauler? I must be sick!

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

9/15/09, 9:22 PM   #159
MEAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Spridgeon View Post
Your guess is as good as mine, Chris. Turns out it may have helped a few guys too.

Jack/Judy, thanks for the help on that one. I'm not sure if you saw Brett Burdette's car from Las Vegas earlier this season, but it was the worst I've ever seen a car look after a crash.
Kirk, I agree. I seen this car up at Walkers and it almost makes you sick at your stomach to think about.I will say Peterman's car at Lawrenceburg during Sprint Week looked pretty wicked too.
Posted via Mobile Device

9/15/09, 9:28 PM   #160
Al Pierce

Race Count This Year: 49
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
I am definitely in the incurable stage. I often wonder when driving down the road just exactly what type of race car is in that plain white car hauler? I must be sick!
No you are not!!! :2: I do the same thing and I suspect most IOW'ers do too. Hope I never quit......

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > that updates